Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tailwheel fairing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamini2(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Tailwheel fairing Reply with quote

Here is an interesting article on tailwheel fairings that would apply to the TW.
Dennis in Chicago

Dear Group,

Today I test flew the new Thorp Tail Wheel Pant.

I took off and climbed to 7,500 feet. Time to climb 4 minutes

Flew 2 four way quadrant legs at 90 degree increments to runway 19 at full throttle and 2600 rpm with fuel flow of 9.5 gph. The second 4 runs was to confirm the speeds observed on the first. CHT and EGT were low, so more aggressive leaning could have been accomplished, but I wanted to get the performance figures.

Prior to the speed runs, speed was increased in level flight by 5 mph increments. Stick was slapped to see if any adverse reactions were present with the new tail wheel fairing.

None were expected and none observed at maximum of 215 mph. All speeds are in reference to two GPS read outs.

The average speed of the 4 way runs was 204 mph. The average speed of the runs at 90 degree angles to the wind was 212 mph. That is approximately a 2 mph gain over speeds prior observed at the same rpm and throttle setting. Currently my manifold pressure gage is non operational and therefore I am unable to note the MP readings.

I have attached a picture of the tail wheel pant installation prior to the flight. I carefully inspected the pant after returning and found no change in the incidence setting of the pant. I will continue to monitor the pant to determine that no change in mounting angle is occurring. It is very rigidly attached, so I do not expect to find any looseness in service.

I have found the mounting to the twin fork aviation products tail wheel to be
a little difficult to initially line the pant up correctly to the water line angle.
I am going to replace the pant shown in the pictures with another one but change slightly the mounting nut plates and brackets. Then I will provide instructions with the pant to locate the attach points as well as a drawing for the two brackets.

If there is interest in a "complete kit" ready to mount on the twin fork Aviation Products tail wheel, I will make a ready to install pant available.

Price on basic tail wheel kit is $140. Finished kit ready to install is $200.
That is with floating nut plates and stainless steel mounting brackets and the pant ready to install on your bird.

If you are wondering, yes. The tail wheel still retains its full swivel capability. But it sure gains in looks!

Tom Hunter
N18XT

Tom Hunter, Western Regional Sales Manager
Dealer Solutions
805-227-4571

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Tailwind-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Tailwind-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: