Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

get a grip
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktlkrn(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: get a grip Reply with quote

On my 7, I have the Ray Allen with 4 buttons and front PTT. I have electric trim on elevator only. I use what would be the aileron trim buttons for an Comm 1 Flip/Flop on left switch and AP disconnect on the right switch.

I have nothing on the co pilot stick to ease the removal, AND, I've found that in nearly 200 hours and 50 passengers later, there has been not one incidence where the co pilot had a need to use any functions. I do have a co pilot PTT switch on the panel.

My recommendation would be to keep it as simple as possible. In no case would I put a starter or flaps on the stick. There is simply too much of an opportunity hit them in turbulent conditions.

Remember this is a fun airplane that is meant to be relatively simple, not an F18!!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
RV7 N717EE
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
gmcjetpilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: get a grip Reply with quote

KISS - Keep It simple stupid.

PTT, that is it, period, may be Trim.

You are more likely to have inadvertent deployment the more
buttons you have on the stick. Just put the trim or flaps near or
even on the throttle (so you can do it by feel).

George

>From: Don Hall <dhall(at)donka.net>
Quote:
Subject: get a grip

>For my rv7 flying, I eventually want to get into light aero and some

Quote:
formation. It will be equipped for full IFR, but I generally avoid
IFR when I can - maybe using that privilege to bust through some not-
so-low overcast at one end or the other of a trip. So the question
is what buttons do I want on the grip

>- trim

Quote:
- ptt
- disc-ap?
- flip-flop on com1?
- flaps?

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
Check out [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM-]new cars at Yahoo! Autos.[/url] [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dan(at)rvproject.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: get a grip Reply with quote

Imho it depends on the type of switches you use. Sure, if you use a "bat" style toggle switch for your flaps, something could hit it or catch on it.

But if you use a single-axis coolie, so to speak (I'm not sure of the name for it, but it's like a coolie hat that just moves in one axis), then how is that any more dangerous than having a coolie hat for trim?!

Flying a Mooney M20F with Precise Flight speed brakes, I once inadvertently slapped a map down on the yoke as I was reading it. I heard & felt a rumbling and saw the red light on the panel...doh! I had smacked the speed brake button.

FWIW, there is nothing like that on my RV-7's stick. Everything is protected from typical situations like that. You couldn't convince me to get the flap control off my stick -- but remember it's not a toggle switch. It's a LOW PROFILE single-axis "slider" coolie whatever.

)_( Dan
[quote] ---

jack.lockamy(at)navy.mil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: get a grip Reply with quote

Here's how I wired the PTT switches in the RV-7A:
To keep it simple, I installed a Ray Allen cushion stick grip with a single PTT switch on top of the pilot's stick. So that I could easily remove the passenger stick when flying alone and use the passenger seat for charts or bags and/or when the passenger didn't care to get any 'stick time', I installed the co-pilot PTT switch on the panel directly in front of the passenger.
It literally took less than a second to remove the co-pilot stick and about 2 seconds to 'put it back in the hole'. No inadvertent pushing the co-pilot PTT or mistakenly using it instead of the voice-activated intercom. In my previous aircraft, the passenger always seemed to forget the intercom was voice activated and didn't require you to depress the PTT.
Flaps, trim, starter, a/p disconnect, etc. on the stick is far too complicated for me and un-necessary in the RV-7/7A in my humble opinion.
I will wire my next plane the same way…. KEEP IT SIMPLE!
Jack Lockamy
Camarillo, CA
Sonerai 2 N2261G sold
Sonex N164JL crashed
RV-7A N174JL sold
Cirrus SR20 N200GR flying
www.jacklockamy.com [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: