Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

-reply from downunder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terry.paradise(at)bigpond

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

Hi Larry,
I'm a ' 7 builder in South Australia. Ive been interested in your arguments about the big thumper aero engines of yesteryear.
I suspect you may be the type of person who may consider the likes of a modern Subaru. I certainly am, and am following up a couple of builders in Melbourne Aust installing Eggenfellner motors. Australian aviation people are in some ways very conservative in only considering the 'traditional' options, so the likes of Subaru in RV size planes is not seen so much over here.
I know the cars we drive now have motors that are dramatically more reliable and last more than twice as long as the motors in our cars from the seventies. Why oh why cant our aircraft gurus suggest and accept more up-to-date engines as well.
Ive only done my empenage and ready to order wings, but I'm considering engine ideas at this stage as well. My concern with Subaru (read Egg) is back-up etc being such a long distance from the source. I suppose a benefit is that the 2.5 and H6 motors are all over the world and their technology is supported, as in racing circles.
The other thing is that Subaru can run with any juice, has lots of engine management options, and tech stuff to run well and last a long time.
I'm interested in any thoughts or experiences you have on these things. I dont know much about Continental or Lycoming, except every time I see them in gen aviation they look old tech, sound old tech, use oil by the bucket because of the large tolerances of big air-cooled donks, and seem to have as many problems as any other engines often due to the large stresses of the big slow motors. But if I have to use one to get my plane in the air, I guess Ill just have to do it.
Terry Wilson
Burra, South Australia.
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
aurbo(at)ak.net

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

Terry,

Subaru motors work great, as do Mazda rotary, and some others. Try the archives on this web site for more information than you can read in a day. Also try the Vans Air Force web site at www.vansairforce.net/. I suspect most folks go Lycoming due to the vast knowledge pool and know reliability.

Good Luck with what ever route you choose and have fun.

Mike Ice
Anchorage, Alaska
RV-9, canopy done (finally) motor mount next then on the engine (Lycoming O-320 E3D)
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

Terry,

I used to think the same way you did...I.e Lycomings are outdated,
somehow inefficient and use lots of oil. I then used a supposedly top
notch Subaru Ea81 conversion which turned out to be a bit of a disaster
to be honest. I then realised that converting a car engine for aviation
use is not easy, there are many gotchas and sometimes it takes many
years for all the failure modes to become apparent. Remember every time
you add a component, you add something that can fail. Jan Eggenfelner
has probably done the best job so far in converting a car engine, but
have all the failure modes been taken into account and reasonable
decisions made about redcing those risks?..I honestly don't know, partly
because there are many hundreds if thousands of hours on Lycosauruses
and anly a few on H4's and h6's...Yes I know there are lots of them in
cars...But airplanes are different...I been there!

I'm afraid also that your thinking negatively about the old clunkers is
pretty far off base today, at least with a modern experimental clone of
say a LYC. Sure the certified versions still have some issues....Mags
that wear out, vacuum pumps?...Gimme a break!...But the basic motor
itself is far from being the piece of junk you think it might be.

If you put a mechanical fuel injection unit on a clone you will be hard
pressed to find a motor that goes as fast burning so little fuel and
weighs less. Note most of the Egg airplanes come out relatively heavy
compared to their old clunker comrades.

Can you run an Egg lean of peak? (LOP)...I don't know that answer to
that, but there is 1.5 Gallons per hour in cruise saving right there. As
to using oil, simply not true, sure any motor can leak but my clone
doesn't and it uses about a quart in 12 hours...Is that a big
deal?...don't think so.

The clones can also run premium mogas (you would need to order a low
compression version if you want to run regular) quite happily.
You can put electronic ignition systems on them too.

If you read john Deakin's articles you will find that these motors are
remarkably efficient...If its not 'high tech' enough for you then put a
FADEC system on it which makes it easier to get the mixture right.

You have to remember that car engines have to be efficient at a number
of different driving conditions...Airplane engines really only do one
thing...you wind 'em up to cruise power and leave 'em there. A much
simpler operating regime, thus its a much simpler engine with less
things to go wrong.

Cooling drag...Jury is still out on that one but the strong suspicion is
there is more cooling drag with a water cooled motor, thus making it
slower for the same fuel burn....But as I said the jury is still out on
that one. if it is true then it will be worse on a fast airplane than a
slow one.

Really the only clear advantage of a car engine is the cost of the parts
(and thus rebuild costs) are much less...of course no one has put a lot
of hours on the reduction gearbox either so its not clear to me how many
of those will be needed during the typical 2000 hours.

Anyway, just to point out that the old dynosaur motors are that way for
a very good reason...i.e they are designed to do exactly what they do
very well, more highly adapted for their environment rather than
woefully inadequate and outdated.

Cheers

Frank

[mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Terry Wilson
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 4:29 AM
To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: -reply from downunder
Hi Larry,
I'm a ' 7 builder in South Australia. Ive been interested in your
arguments about the big thumper aero engines of yesteryear.
I suspect you may be the type of person who may consider the likes of a
modern Subaru. I certainly am, and am following up a couple of builders
in Melbourne Aust installing Eggenfellner motors. Australian aviation
people are in some ways very conservative in only considering the
'traditional' options, so the likes of Subaru in RV size planes is not
seen so much over here.
I know the cars we drive now have motors that are dramatically more
reliable and last more than twice as long as the motors in our cars from
the seventies. Why oh why cant our aircraft gurus suggest and accept
more up-to-date engines as well.
Ive only done my empenage and ready to order wings, but I'm considering
engine ideas at this stage as well. My concern with Subaru (read Egg) is
back-up etc being such a long distance from the source. I suppose a
benefit is that the 2.5 and H6 motors are all over the world and their
technology is supported, as in racing circles.
The other thing is that Subaru can run with any juice, has lots of
engine management options, and tech stuff to run well and last a long
time.
I'm interested in any thoughts or experiences you have on these things.
I dont know much about Continental or Lycoming, except every time I see
them in gen aviation they look old tech, sound old tech, use oil by the
bucket because of the large tolerances of big air-cooled donks, and seem
to have as many problems as any other engines often due to the large
stresses of the big slow motors. But if I have to use one to get my
plane in the air, I guess Ill just have to do it.
Terry Wilson
Burra, South Australia.

---

mtaylo17(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

Something else about real aeroplane engines.... They will prop up the value of your plane. Everyone knows they're expensive and resale later on isn't going to hurt you anywhere near as much as an auto conversion engine in a plane, even if it is an Eggenfelner. This is especially true if the prospective new owner lives miles from you and will need the annual doing by an A & P.

Another issue is what if it goes wrong out in the field when you're away from home, all your tools and spares are in your workshop/hangar? Are you going to call an A & P to help you fix it, or the Subaru dealership?

Sure these are downsides, and maybe there are some pluses too. For those, I guess we'll have to rely on somebody who actually runs an auto conversion in an RV. Have you seen any builders sites with subaru's? I guess the most successful I've seen so far is Bob Paisley. http://www.protekperformance.com/rv7/. For some people, like Brian Meyette http://brian76.mystarband.net/rv7a/RV-7Ahome.htm it's proven to be somewhat of a challenge with issues that he's had to overcome by pioneering such a task and I reckon it's added a considerable amount of time to his build.

I feel much the same way that these air cooled engines are old tech, but like Frank says, you can bring it into the 20th century with FADEC or some fuel injection system. I myself chose the FADEC route, and it's quite pleasant buzzing along at 60%-65% power burning 6.5-7 GPH.

In the end, it's horses for courses... You decide what you want to do and then you have to live with it. When you're done, someone else has to live with it, which is worth bearing in mind when you make your decision.

Good luck!

Mark
www.4sierratango.com

[quote] Subject: RE: -reply from downunder
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:07:16 +0000

Terry,

I used to think the same way you did...I.e Lycomings are outdated, somehow inefficient and use lots of oil. I then used a supposedly top notch Subaru Ea81 conversion which turned out to be a bit of a disaster to be honest. I then realised that converting a car engine for aviation use is not easy, there are many gotchas and sometimes it takes many years for all the failure modes to become apparent. Remember every time you add a component, you add something that can fail. Jan Eggenfelner has probably done the best job so far in converting a car engine, but have all the failure modes been taken into account and reasonable decisions made about redcing those risks?..I honestly don't know, partly because there are many hundreds if thousands of hours on Lycosauruses and anly a few on H4's and h6's...Yes I know there are lots of them in cars...But airplanes are different...I been there!

I'm afraid also that your thinking negatively about the old clunkers is pretty far off base today, at least with a modern experimental clone of say a LYC. Sure the certified versions still have some issues....Mags that wear out, vacuum pumps?...Gimme a break!...But the basic motor itself is far from being the piece of junk you think it might be.

If you put a mechanical fuel injection unit on a clone you will be hard pressed to find a motor that goes as fast burning so little fuel and weighs less. Note most of the Egg airplanes come out relatively heavy compared to their old clunker comrades.

Can you run an Egg lean of peak? (LOP)...I don't know that answer to that, but there is 1.5 Gallons per hour in cruise saving right there. As to using oil, simply not true, sure any motor can leak but my clone doesn't and it uses about a quart in 12 hours...Is that a big deal?...don't think so.

The clones can also run premium mogas (you would need to order a low compression version if you want to run regular) quite happily.

If you read john Deakin's articles you will find that these motors are remarkably efficient...If its not 'high tech' enough for you then put a FADEC system on it which makes it easier to get the mixture right.

You have to remember that car engines have to be efficient at a number of different driving conditions...Airplane engines really only do one thing...you wind 'em up to cruise power and leave 'em there. A much simpler operating regime, thus its a much simpler engine with less things to go wrong.

Cooling drag...Jury is still out on that one but the strong suspicion is there is more cooling drag with a water cooled motor, thus making it slower for the same fuel burn....But as I said the jury is still out on that one. if it is true then it will be worse on a fast airplane than a slow one.

Really the only clear advantage of a car engine is the cost of the parts (and thus rebuild costs) are much less...of course no one has put a lot of hours on the reduction gearbox either so its not clear to me how many of those will be needed during the typical 2000 hours.

Anyway, just to point out that the old dynosaur motors are that way for a very good reason...i.e they are designed to do exactly what they do very well, more highly adapted for their environment rather than woefully inadequate and outdated.

Cheers

Frank

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Terry Wilson

Hi Larry,
I'm a ' 7 builder in South Australia. Ive been interested in your arguments about the big thumper aero engines of yesteryear.
I suspect you may be the type of person who may consider the likes of a modern Subaru. I certainly am, and am following up a couple of builders in Melbourne Aust installing Eggenfellner motors. Australian aviation people are in some ways very conservative in only considering the 'traditional' options, so the likes of Subaru in RV size planes is not seen so much over here.
I know the cars we drive now have motors that are dramatically more reliable and last more than twice as long as the motors in our cars from the seventies. Why oh why cant our aircraft gurus suggest and accept more up-to-date engines as well.
Ive only done my empenage and ready to order wings, but I'm considering engine ideas at this stage as well. My concern with Subaru (read Egg) is back-up etc being such a long distance from the source. I suppose a benefit is that the 2.5 and H6 motors are all over the world and their technology is supported, as in racing circles.
The other thing is that Subaru can run with any juice, has lots of engine management options, and tech stuff to run well and last a long time.
I'm interested in any thoughts or experiences you have on these things. I dont know much about Continental or Lycoming, except every time I see them in gen aviation they look old tech, sound old tech, use oil by the bucket because of the large tolerances of big air-cooled donks, and seem to have as many problems as any other engines often due to the large stresses of the big slow motors. But if I have to use one to get my plane in the air, I guess Ill just have to do it.
Terry Wilson
Burra, South Australia.
[quote] ---

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

Indeed Mark,

but I have to disaggree in that they are not old tech. The prop turns at
2700RPM...Anyway you look at it you eventually have to have a shaft that
turns at the same speed as the prop...The Lyc does this by limiting
engine speed, the Auto needs a gearbox...they both work the same in this
regard.

Aircooled vs water cooled...I agree there are engine clearance
compromises in the aircooled motor but they last 2000+ hours...Water
cooled we think has a significant drag penalty...and will thus burn more
fuel..

A modern car engine is festooned with gadgets which all represent
failure points.

seems with the above in mind the Lyc is a better design for the job at
hand.

And so the argument goes on.

Cheers

Frank

[mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mark Taylor
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 2:35 PM
Subject: RE: -reply from downunder
Something else about real aeroplane engines.... They will prop up the
value of your plane. Everyone knows they're expensive and resale later
on isn't going to hurt you anywhere near as much as an auto conversion
engine in a plane, even if it is an Eggenfelner. This is especially true
if the prospective new owner lives miles from you and will need the
annual doing by an A & P.

Another issue is what if it goes wrong out in the field when you're away
from home, all your tools and spares are in your workshop/hangar? Are
you going to call an A & P to help you fix it, or the Subaru dealership?

Sure these are downsides, and maybe there are some pluses too. For
those, I guess we'll have to rely on somebody who actually runs an auto
conversion in an RV. Have you seen any builders sites with subaru's? I
guess the most successful I've seen so far is Bob Paisley.
http://www.protekperformance.com/rv7/. For some people, like Brian
Meyette http://brian76.mystarband.net/rv7a/RV-7Ahome.htm it's proven to
be somewhat of a challenge with issues that he's had to overcome by
pioneering such a task and I reckon it's added a considerable amount of
time to his build.

I feel much the same way that these air cooled engines are old tech, but
like Frank says, you can bring it into the 20th century with FADEC or
some fuel injection system. I myself chose the FADEC route, and it's
quite pleasant buzzing along at 60%-65% power burning 6.5-7 GPH.

In the end, it's horses for courses... You decide what you want to do
and then you have to live with it. When you're done, someone else has to
live with it, which is worth bearing in mind when you make your
decision.

Good luck!

Mark
www.4sierratango.com

Terry,

I used to think the same way you did...I.e Lycomings are
outdated, somehow inefficient and use lots of oil. I then used a
supposedly top notch Subaru Ea81 conversion which turned out to be a bit
of a disaster to be honest. I then realised that converting a car engine
for aviation use is not easy, there are many gotchas and sometimes it
takes many years for all the failure modes to become apparent. Remember
every time you add a component, you add something that can fail. Jan
Eggenfelner has probably done the best job so far in converting a car
engine, but have all the failure modes been taken into account and
reasonable decisions made about redcing those risks?..I honestly don't
know, partly because there are many hundreds if thousands of hours on
Lycosauruses and anly a few on H4's and h6's...Yes I know there are lots
of them in cars...But airplanes are different...I been there!

I'm afraid also that your thinking negatively about the old
clunkers is pretty far off base today, at least with a modern
experimental clone of say a LYC. Sure the certified versions still have
some issues....Mags that wear out, vacuum pumps?...Gimme a break!...But
the basic motor itself is far from being the piece of junk you think it
might be.

If you put a mechanical fuel injection unit on a clone you will
be hard pressed to find a motor that goes as fast burning so little fuel
and weighs less. Note most of the Egg airplanes come out relatively
heavy compared to their old clunker comrades.

Can you run an Egg lean of peak? (LOP)...I don't know that
answer to that, but there is 1.5 Gallons per hour in cruise saving right
there. As to using oil, simply not true, sure any motor can leak but my
clone doesn't and it uses about a quart in 12 hours...Is that a big
deal?...don't think so.

The clones can also run premium mogas (you would need to order a
low compression version if you want to run regular) quite happily.

If you read john Deakin's articles you will find that these
motors are remarkably efficient...If its not 'high tech' enough for you
then put a FADEC system on it which makes it easier to get the mixture
right.

You have to remember that car engines have to be efficient at a
number of different driving conditions...Airplane engines really only do
one thing...you wind 'em up to cruise power and leave 'em there. A much
things to go wrong.

Cooling drag...Jury is still out on that one but the strong
suspicion is there is more cooling drag with a water cooled motor, thus
making it slower for the same fuel burn....But as I said the jury is
still out on that one. if it is true then it will be worse on a fast
airplane than a slow one.

Really the only clear advantage of a car engine is the cost of
the parts (and thus rebuild costs) are much less...of course no one has
put a lot of hours on the reduction gearbox either so its not clear to
me how many of those will be needed during the typical 2000 hours.

Anyway, just to point out that the old dynosaur motors are that
way for a very good reason...i.e they are designed to do exactly what
they do very well, more highly adapted for their environment rather than

Cheers

Frank

Hi Larry,
I'm a ' 7 builder in South Australia. Ive been interested in
your arguments about the big thumper aero engines of yesteryear.
I suspect you may be the type of person who may consider the
likes of a modern Subaru. I certainly am, and am following up a couple
of builders in Melbourne Aust installing Eggenfellner motors. Australian
aviation people are in some ways very conservative in only considering
the 'traditional' options, so the likes of Subaru in RV size planes is
not seen so much over here.
I know the cars we drive now have motors that are dramatically
more reliable and last more than twice as long as the motors in our cars
from the seventies. Why oh why cant our aircraft gurus suggest and
accept more up-to-date engines as well.
Ive only done my empenage and ready to order wings, but I'm
considering engine ideas at this stage as well. My concern with Subaru
(read Egg) is back-up etc being such a long distance from the source. I
suppose a benefit is that the 2.5 and H6 motors are all over the world
and their technology is supported, as in racing circles.
The other thing is that Subaru can run with any juice, has lots
of engine management options, and tech stuff to run well and last a long
time.
I'm interested in any thoughts or experiences you have on these
things. I dont know much about Continental or Lycoming, except every
time I see them in gen aviation they look old tech, sound old tech, use
oil by the bucket because of the large tolerances of big air-cooled
donks, and seem to have as many problems as any other engines often due
to the large stresses of the big slow motors. But if I have to use one
to get my plane in the air, I guess Ill just have to do it.
Terry Wilson
Burra, South Australia.

---

mtaylo17(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

Yep, I think we do actually agree Frank.... When I say old tech, I mean that the basic design hasn't really evolved too much compared with the automotive engines out there. Maybe I should've been more clear.

There are indeed lot's of things that can go wrong. I know these are 'Experimental' aeroplanes, but we really should strive to take as much of the experiment out of it as possible for safety's sake. One of those places is obviously in the engine room. There really is no substitute for tried and tested.

It's definitely one of those debates that will go on for as long as people are building these planes! We can just keep adding fuel to the fire!!

Mark
www.4sierratango.com
RV-7 IOF-360 Flying!
Subject: RE: -reply from downunderDate: Tue, 1 May 2007 22:17:11 +0000From: frank.hinde(at)hp.comTo: rv7-list(at)matronics.com

Indeed Mark,

but I have to disaggree in that they are not old tech. The prop turns at 2700RPM...Anyway you look at it you eventually have to have a shaft that turns at the same speed as the prop...The Lyc does this by limiting engine speed, the Auto needs a gearbox...they both work the same in this regard.

Aircooled vs water cooled...I agree there are engine clearance compromises in the aircooled motor but they last 2000+ hours...Water cooled we think has a significant drag penalty...and will thus burn more fuel..

A modern car engine is festooned with gadgets which all represent failure points.

seems with the above in mind the Lyc is a better design for the job at hand

sshook(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

I have stayed away from this debate in the past only because I thought it was too heated on one side or the other. It’s nice to see a discussion on the topic that is not a flame war.

There are arguments for both. To its credit the Lycoming and Lycoming clones have been a proven design that has not had to evolve because it works (if its not broke don’t fix it). Also, the technology is catching up with the introduction of electronic ignition over mags, FADEC, etc, etc.

I personally am installing an Eggenfellner Subaru only because I have seen 99% of the bugs get worked out over the years. I also have spent the last 3 years watching Jan support his product and support those pioneers with his early iterations of the E4 and now the E6 and E6T. I am a firm believer in evolving with new technology (the computer engineer in me), and in a few short years we may actually see more people softening up to the idea of an alternative to the Lycoming. Resale is not a consideration for me at this point because I have no intention of building this plane only to sell it. I have faith in Jan and his commitment to the success of his company. If I read correctly, Jan is nearing the sold out mark for this years deliveries.

Who knows, 20 years from now I could be in a thread like this and telling some other new builder to use an Eggenfellner and not the “Wiz-Bang 3000 – nuclear fuel cell magnetometer motor’ because of a proven track record by the Subaru.

My point is – technology changes. We can move forward and even contribute in a small way to its success or we can use what we are comfortable with what we know is working at the time. It’s a personal decision as personal as what clothes you wear.

Scott R. Shook
RV-7A (Building)
N696JS (Reserved)

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mark Taylor
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 15:40

Yep, I think we do actually agree Frank.... When I say old tech, I mean that the basic design hasn't really evolved too much compared with the automotive engines out there. Maybe I should've been more clear.

There are indeed lot's of things that can go wrong. I know these are 'Experimental' aeroplanes, but we really should strive to take as much of the experiment out of it as possible for safety's sake. One of those places is obviously in the engine room. There really is no substitute for tried and tested.

It's definitely one of those debates that will go on for as long as people are building these planes! We can just keep adding fuel to the fire!!

Mark
www.4sierratango.com
RV-7 IOF-360 Flying!

Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 22:17:11 +0000
Indeed Mark,

but I have to disaggree in that they are not old tech. The prop turns at 2700RPM...Anyway you look at it you eventually have to have a shaft that turns at the same speed as the prop...The Lyc does this by limiting engine speed, the Auto needs a gearbox...they both work the same in this regard.

Aircooled vs water cooled...I agree there are engine clearance compromises in the aircooled motor but they last 2000+ hours...Water cooled we think has a significant drag penalty...and will thus burn more fuel..

A modern car engine is festooned with gadgets which all represent failure points.

seems with the above in mind the Lyc is a better design for the job at hand.

Cheers

Frank

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mark Taylor
Something else about real aeroplane engines.... They will prop up the value of your plane. Everyone knows they're expensive and resale later on isn't going to hurt you anywhere near as much as an auto conversion engine in a plane, even if it is an Eggenfelner. This is especially true if the prospective new owner lives miles from you and will need the annual doing by an A & P.

Another issue is what if it goes wrong out in the field when you're away from home, all your tools and spares are in your workshop/hangar? Are you going to call an A & P to help you fix it, or the Subaru dealership?

Sure these are downsides, and maybe there are some pluses too. For those, I guess we'll have to rely on somebody who actually runs an auto conversion in an RV. Have you seen any builders sites with subaru's? I guess the most successful I've seen so far is Bob Paisley. http://www.protekperformance.com/rv7/. For some people, like Brian Meyette http://brian76.mystarband.net/rv7a/RV-7Ahome.htm it's proven to be somewhat of a challenge with issues that he's had to overcome by pioneering such a task and I reckon it's added a considerable amount of time to his build.

I feel much the same way that these air cooled engines are old tech, but like Frank says, you can bring it into the 20th century with FADEC or some fuel injection system. I myself chose the FADEC route, and it's quite pleasant buzzing along at 60%-65% power burning 6.5-7 GPH.

In the end, it's horses for courses... You decide what you want to do and then you have to live with it. When you're done, someone else has to live with it, which is worth bearing in mind when you make your decision.

Good luck!

Mark
www.4sierratango.com

Terry,

I used to think the same way you did...I.e Lycomings are outdated, somehow inefficient and use lots of oil. I then used a supposedly top notch Subaru Ea81 conversion which turned out to be a bit of a disaster to be honest. I then realised that converting a car engine for aviation use is not easy, there are many gotchas and sometimes it takes many years for all the failure modes to become apparent. Remember every time you add a component, you add something that can fail. Jan Eggenfelner has probably done the best job so far in converting a car engine, but have all the failure modes been taken into account and reasonable decisions made about redcing those risks?..I honestly don't know, partly because there are many hundreds if thousands of hours on Lycosauruses and anly a few on H4's and h6's...Yes I know there are lots of them in cars...But airplanes are different...I been there!

I'm afraid also that your thinking negatively about the old clunkers is pretty far off base today, at least with a modern experimental clone of say a LYC. Sure the certified versions still have some issues....Mags that wear out, vacuum pumps?...Gimme a break!...But the basic motor itself is far from being the piece of junk you think it might be.

If you put a mechanical fuel injection unit on a clone you will be hard pressed to find a motor that goes as fast burning so little fuel and weighs less. Note most of the Egg airplanes come out relatively heavy compared to their old clunker comrades.

Can you run an Egg lean of peak? (LOP)...I don't know that answer to that, but there is 1.5 Gallons per hour in cruise saving right there. As to using oil, simply not true, sure any motor can leak but my clone doesn't and it uses about a quart in 12 hours...Is that a big deal?...don't think so.

The clones can also run premium mogas (you would need to order a low compression version if you want to run regular) quite happily.

If you read john Deakin's articles you will find that these motors are remarkably efficient...If its not 'high tech' enough for you then put a FADEC system on it which makes it easier to get the mixture right.

You have to remember that car engines have to be efficient at a number of different driving conditions...Airplane engines really only do one thing...you wind 'em up to cruise power and leave 'em there. A much simpler operating regime, thus its a much simpler engine with less things to go wrong.

Cooling drag...Jury is still out on that one but the strong suspicion is there is more cooling drag with a water cooled motor, thus making it slower for the same fuel burn....But as I said the jury is still out on that one. if it is true then it will be worse on a fast airplane than a slow one.

Really the only clear advantage of a car engine is the cost of the parts (and thus rebuild costs) are much less...of course no one has put a lot of hours on the reduction gearbox either so its not clear to me how many of those will be needed during the typical 2000 hours.

Anyway, just to point out that the old dynosaur motors are that way for a very good reason...i.e they are designed to do exactly what they do very well, more highly adapted for their environment rather than woefully inadequate and outdated.

Cheers

Frank

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Terry Wilson
Hi Larry,

Terry Wilson

Burra, South Australia.
[quote]
---

mtaylo17(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

I can remember when Jan was starting up his engine business, he had a well worked out package, and seems like he's evolving with the demands of his customers too. He's certainly done a better job than the Crossbow Subaru people. Are they even still around?

I do embrace new technology for aircraft, despite me going for the 'Lycosaur' clone, I went with a Blue Mountain EFIS 1, for similar reasons Scott went for the Eggenfellner. I like the EFIS a lot, but I'm still not quite trusting it enough to go out and fly IFR. It does have the occasional glitch which does eventually get worked out by the BMA gang. I guess we all decide how we want to allocate our risks.

Here I am, hating Microsoft and just getting myself up to speed with the latest copy of Window's Vista on my computer!

Here's to a discussion rather than a debate! Much more civilised don't ya think?!

Regards,

Mark
www.4sierratango.com

From: sshook(at)cox.netTo: rv7-list(at)matronics.comSubject: RE: -reply from downunderDate: Tue, 1 May 2007 17:13:10 -0700
I have stayed away from this debate in the past only because I thought it was too heated on one side or the other. It’s nice to see a discussion on the topic that is not a flame war.

There are arguments for both. To its credit the Lycoming and Lycoming clones have been a proven design that has not had to evolve because it works (if its not broke don’t fix it). Also, the technology is catching up with the introduction of electronic ignition over mags, FADEC, etc, etc.

I personally am installing an Eggenfellner Subaru only because I have seen 99% of the bugs get worked out over the years. I also have spent the last 3 years watching Jan support his product and support those pioneers with his early iterations of the E4 and now the E6 and E6T. I am a firm believer in evolving with new technology (the computer engineer in me), and in a few short years we may actually see more people softening up to the idea of an alternative to the Lycoming. Resale is not a consideration for me at this point because I have no intention of building this plane only to sell it. I have faith in Jan and his commitment to the success of his company. If I read correctly, Jan is nearing the sold out mark for this years deliveries.

Who knows, 20 years from now I could be in a thread like this and telling some other new builder to use an Eggenfellner and not the “Wiz-Bang 3000 – nuclear fuel cell magnetometer motor’ because of a proven track record by the Subaru.

My point is – technology changes. We can move forward and even contribute in a small way to its success or we can use what we are comfortable with what we know is working at the time. It’s a personal decision as personal as what clothes you wear.

Scott R. Shook RV-7A (Building) N696JS (Reserved)

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mark TaylorSent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 15:40To: rv7-list(at)matronics.comSubject: RE: -reply from downunder

Yep, I think we do actually agree Frank.... When I say old tech, I mean that the basic design hasn't really evolved too much compared with the automotive engines out there. Maybe I should've been more clear. There are indeed lot's of things that can go wrong. I know these are 'Experimental' aeroplanes, but we really should strive to take as much of the experiment out of it as possible for safety's sake. One of those places is obviously in the engine room. There really is no substitute for tried and tested. It's definitely one of those debates that will go on for as long as people are building these planes! We can just keep adding fuel to the fire!! Markwww.4sierratango.comRV-7 IOF-360 Flying!

Subject: RE: -reply from downunderDate: Tue, 1 May 2007 22:17:11 +0000From: frank.hinde(at)hp.comTo: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Indeed Mark,

seems with the above in mind the Lyc is a better design for the job at hand

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

Amen!...Smile

Frank

Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 3:40 PM
Yep, I think we do actually agree Frank.... When I say old tech, I mean
that the basic design hasn't really evolved too much compared with the
automotive engines out there. Maybe I should've been more clear.

There are indeed lot's of things that can go wrong. I know these are
'Experimental' aeroplanes, but we really should strive to take as much
of the experiment out of it as possible for safety's sake. One of those
places is obviously in the engine room. There really is no substitute
for tried and tested.

It's definitely one of those debates that will go on for as long as
people are building these planes! We can just keep adding fuel to the
fire!!

Mark
www.4sierratango.com
RV-7 IOF-360 Flying!

Indeed Mark,

but I have to disaggree in that they are not old tech. The prop
turns at 2700RPM...Anyway you look at it you eventually have to have a
shaft that turns at the same speed as the prop...The Lyc does this by
limiting engine speed, the Auto needs a gearbox...they both work the
same in this regard.

fuel..

A modern car engine is festooned with gadgets which all
represent failure points.

seems with the above in mind the Lyc is a better design for the
job at hand.

Cheers

Frank

Something else about real aeroplane engines.... They will prop
up the value of your plane. Everyone knows they're expensive and resale
later on isn't going to hurt you anywhere near as much as an auto
conversion engine in a plane, even if it is an Eggenfelner. This is
especially true if the prospective new owner lives miles from you and
will need the annual doing by an A & P.

Another issue is what if it goes wrong out in the field when
you're away from home, all your tools and spares are in your
workshop/hangar? Are you going to call an A & P to help you fix it, or
the Subaru dealership?

Sure these are downsides, and maybe there are some pluses too.
For those, I guess we'll have to rely on somebody who actually runs an
auto conversion in an RV. Have you seen any builders sites with
subaru's? I guess the most successful I've seen so far is Bob Paisley.
time to his build.

I feel much the same way that these air cooled engines are old
tech, but like Frank says, you can bring it into the 20th century with
FADEC or some fuel injection system. I myself chose the FADEC route, and
it's quite pleasant buzzing along at 60%-65% power burning 6.5-7 GPH.

In the end, it's horses for courses... You decide what you want
to do and then you have to live with it. When you're done, someone else
has to live with it, which is worth bearing in mind when you make your
decision.

Good luck!

Mark
www.4sierratango.com <http://www.4sierratango.com/>

Terry,

I used to think the same way you did...I.e Lycomings are
outdated, somehow inefficient and use lots of oil. I then used a
supposedly top notch Subaru Ea81 conversion which turned out to be a bit
of a disaster to be honest. I then realised that converting a car engine
for aviation use is not easy, there are many gotchas and sometimes it
takes many years for all the failure modes to become apparent. Remember
every time you add a component, you add something that can fail. Jan
Eggenfelner has probably done the best job so far in converting a car
engine, but have all the failure modes been taken into account and
reasonable decisions made about redcing those risks?..I honestly don't
know, partly because there are many hundreds if thousands of hours on
Lycosauruses and anly a few on H4's and h6's...Yes I know there are lots
of them in cars...But airplanes are different...I been there!

I'm afraid also that your thinking negatively about the
old clunkers is pretty far off base today, at least with a modern
experimental clone of say a LYC. Sure the certified versions still have
some issues....Mags that wear out, vacuum pumps?...Gimme a break!...But
the basic motor itself is far from being the piece of junk you think it
might be.

If you put a mechanical fuel injection unit on a clone
you will be hard pressed to find a motor that goes as fast burning so
little fuel and weighs less. Note most of the Egg airplanes come out
relatively heavy compared to their old clunker comrades.

Can you run an Egg lean of peak? (LOP)...I don't know
that answer to that, but there is 1.5 Gallons per hour in cruise saving
right there. As to using oil, simply not true, sure any motor can leak
but my clone doesn't and it uses about a quart in 12 hours...Is that a
big deal?...don't think so.

The clones can also run premium mogas (you would need to
order a low compression version if you want to run regular) quite
happily.

If you read john Deakin's articles you will find that
these motors are remarkably efficient...If its not 'high tech' enough
for you then put a FADEC system on it which makes it easier to get the
mixture right.

You have to remember that car engines have to be
efficient at a number of different driving conditions...Airplane engines
really only do one thing...you wind 'em up to cruise power and leave 'em
there. A much simpler operating regime, thus its a much simpler engine
with less things to go wrong.

Cooling drag...Jury is still out on that one but the
strong suspicion is there is more cooling drag with a water cooled
motor, thus making it slower for the same fuel burn....But as I said the
jury is still out on that one. if it is true then it will be worse on a
fast airplane than a slow one.

Really the only clear advantage of a car engine is the
cost of the parts (and thus rebuild costs) are much less...of course no
one has put a lot of hours on the reduction gearbox either so its not
clear to me how many of those will be needed during the typical 2000
hours.

Anyway, just to point out that the old dynosaur motors
are that way for a very good reason...i.e they are designed to do
exactly what they do very well, more highly adapted for their
environment rather than woefully inadequate and outdated.

Cheers

Frank

Hi Larry,
I'm a ' 7 builder in South Australia. Ive been
interested in your arguments about the big thumper aero engines of
yesteryear.
I suspect you may be the type of person who may consider
the likes of a modern Subaru. I certainly am, and am following up a
couple of builders in Melbourne Aust installing Eggenfellner motors.
Australian aviation people are in some ways very conservative in only
considering the 'traditional' options, so the likes of Subaru in RV size
planes is not seen so much over here.
I know the cars we drive now have motors that are
dramatically more reliable and last more than twice as long as the
motors in our cars from the seventies. Why oh why cant our aircraft
gurus suggest and accept more up-to-date engines as well.
Ive only done my empenage and ready to order wings, but
I'm considering engine ideas at this stage as well. My concern with
Subaru (read Egg) is back-up etc being such a long distance from the
source. I suppose a benefit is that the 2.5 and H6 motors are all over
the world and their technology is supported, as in racing circles.
The other thing is that Subaru can run with any juice,
has lots of engine management options, and tech stuff to run well and
last a long time.
I'm interested in any thoughts or experiences you have
on these things. I dont know much about Continental or Lycoming, except
every time I see them in gen aviation they look old tech, sound old
tech, use oil by the bucket because of the large tolerances of big
air-cooled donks, and seem to have as many problems as any other engines
often due to the large stresses of the big slow motors. But if I have to
use one to get my plane in the air, I guess Ill just have to do it.
Terry Wilson
Burra, South Australia.

---

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

Indeed Scott,

And if it wasn't for early adopters such as yourself then there would
never be a market for anything new in aviation...Just look at what has
come about in the last few years in the experimental EFIS, engine
management and autopilot systems.

You bet I jumped all over those!!!

Cheers

Frank

[mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott R. Shook
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 5:13 PM

I have stayed away from this debate in the past only because I thought
it was too heated on one side or the other. It's nice to see a
discussion on the topic that is not a flame war.

There are arguments for both. To its credit the Lycoming and Lycoming
clones have been a proven design that has not had to evolve because it
works (if its not broke don't fix it). Also, the technology is catching
up with the introduction of electronic ignition over mags, FADEC, etc,
etc.

I personally am installing an Eggenfellner Subaru only because I have
seen 99% of the bugs get worked out over the years. I also have spent
the last 3 years watching Jan support his product and support those
pioneers with his early iterations of the E4 and now the E6 and E6T. I
am a firm believer in evolving with new technology (the computer
engineer in me), and in a few short years we may actually see more
people softening up to the idea of an alternative to the Lycoming.
Resale is not a consideration for me at this point because I have no
intention of building this plane only to sell it. I have faith in Jan
and his commitment to the success of his company. If I read correctly,
Jan is nearing the sold out mark for this years deliveries.

Who knows, 20 years from now I could be in a thread like this and
telling some other new builder to use an Eggenfellner and not the
"Wiz-Bang 3000 - nuclear fuel cell magnetometer motor' because of a
proven track record by the Subaru.

My point is - technology changes. We can move forward and even
contribute in a small way to its success or we can use what we are
comfortable with what we know is working at the time. It's a personal
decision as personal as what clothes you wear.

Scott R. Shook
RV-7A (Building)
N696JS (Reserved)

Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 15:40

Yep, I think we do actually agree Frank.... When I say old tech, I mean
that the basic design hasn't really evolved too much compared with the
automotive engines out there. Maybe I should've been more clear.

There are indeed lot's of things that can go wrong. I know these are
'Experimental' aeroplanes, but we really should strive to take as much
of the experiment out of it as possible for safety's sake. One of those
places is obviously in the engine room. There really is no substitute
for tried and tested.

It's definitely one of those debates that will go on for as long as
people are building these planes! We can just keep adding fuel to the
fire!!

Mark
www.4sierratango.com
RV-7 IOF-360 Flying!

Indeed Mark,

but I have to disaggree in that they are not old tech. The prop turns at
2700RPM...Anyway you look at it you eventually have to have a shaft that
turns at the same speed as the prop...The Lyc does this by limiting
engine speed, the Auto needs a gearbox...they both work the same in this
regard.

fuel..

A modern car engine is festooned with gadgets which all represent
failure points.

seems with the above in mind the Lyc is a better design for the job at
hand.

Cheers

Frank

Something else about real aeroplane engines.... They will prop up the
value of your plane. Everyone knows they're expensive and resale later
on isn't going to hurt you anywhere near as much as an auto conversion
engine in a plane, even if it is an Eggenfelner. This is especially true
if the prospective new owner lives miles from you and will need the
annual doing by an A & P.

Another issue is what if it goes wrong out in the field when you're away
from home, all your tools and spares are in your workshop/hangar? Are
you going to call an A & P to help you fix it, or the Subaru dealership?

Sure these are downsides, and maybe there are some pluses too. For
those, I guess we'll have to rely on somebody who actually runs an auto
conversion in an RV. Have you seen any builders sites with subaru's? I
guess the most successful I've seen so far is Bob Paisley.
time to his build.

I feel much the same way that these air cooled engines are old tech, but
like Frank says, you can bring it into the 20th century with FADEC or
some fuel injection system. I myself chose the FADEC route, and it's
quite pleasant buzzing along at 60%-65% power burning 6.5-7 GPH.

In the end, it's horses for courses... You decide what you want to do
and then you have to live with it. When you're done, someone else has to
live with it, which is worth bearing in mind when you make your
decision.

Good luck!

Mark
www.4sierratango.com <http://www.4sierratango.com/>

Terry,

I used to think the same way you did...I.e Lycomings are outdated,
somehow inefficient and use lots of oil. I then used a supposedly top
notch Subaru Ea81 conversion which turned out to be a bit of a disaster
to be honest. I then realised that converting a car engine for aviation
use is not easy, there are many gotchas and sometimes it takes many
years for all the failure modes to become apparent. Remember every time
you add a component, you add something that can fail. Jan Eggenfelner
has probably done the best job so far in converting a car engine, but
have all the failure modes been taken into account and reasonable
decisions made about redcing those risks?..I honestly don't know, partly
because there are many hundreds if thousands of hours on Lycosauruses
and anly a few on H4's and h6's...Yes I know there are lots of them in
cars...But airplanes are different...I been there!

I'm afraid also that your thinking negatively about the old clunkers is
pretty far off base today, at least with a modern experimental clone of
say a LYC. Sure the certified versions still have some issues....Mags
that wear out, vacuum pumps?...Gimme a break!...But the basic motor
itself is far from being the piece of junk you think it might be.

If you put a mechanical fuel injection unit on a clone you will be hard
pressed to find a motor that goes as fast burning so little fuel and
weighs less. Note most of the Egg airplanes come out relatively heavy
compared to their old clunker comrades.

Can you run an Egg lean of peak? (LOP)...I don't know that answer to
that, but there is 1.5 Gallons per hour in cruise saving right there. As
to using oil, simply not true, sure any motor can leak but my clone
doesn't and it uses about a quart in 12 hours...Is that a big
deal?...don't think so.

The clones can also run premium mogas (you would need to order a low
compression version if you want to run regular) quite happily.

If you read john Deakin's articles you will find that these motors are
remarkably efficient...If its not 'high tech' enough for you then put a
FADEC system on it which makes it easier to get the mixture right.

You have to remember that car engines have to be efficient at a number
of different driving conditions...Airplane engines really only do one
thing...you wind 'em up to cruise power and leave 'em there. A much
things to go wrong.

Cooling drag...Jury is still out on that one but the strong suspicion is
there is more cooling drag with a water cooled motor, thus making it
slower for the same fuel burn....But as I said the jury is still out on
that one. if it is true then it will be worse on a fast airplane than a
slow one.

Really the only clear advantage of a car engine is the cost of the parts
(and thus rebuild costs) are much less...of course no one has put a lot
of hours on the reduction gearbox either so its not clear to me how many
of those will be needed during the typical 2000 hours.

Anyway, just to point out that the old dynosaur motors are that way for
a very good reason...i.e they are designed to do exactly what they do
very well, more highly adapted for their environment rather than

Cheers

Frank

Hi Larry,

I'm a ' 7 builder in South Australia. Ive been interested in your
arguments about the big thumper aero engines of yesteryear.

I suspect you may be the type of person who may consider the likes of a
modern Subaru. I certainly am, and am following up a couple of builders
in Melbourne Aust installing Eggenfellner motors. Australian aviation
people are in some ways very conservative in only considering the
'traditional' options, so the likes of Subaru in RV size planes is not
seen so much over here.

I know the cars we drive now have motors that are dramatically more
reliable and last more than twice as long as the motors in our cars from
the seventies. Why oh why cant our aircraft gurus suggest and accept
more up-to-date engines as well.

Ive only done my empenage and ready to order wings, but I'm considering
engine ideas at this stage as well. My concern with Subaru (read Egg) is
back-up etc being such a long distance from the source. I suppose a
benefit is that the 2.5 and H6 motors are all over the world and their
technology is supported, as in racing circles.

The other thing is that Subaru can run with any juice, has lots of
engine management options, and tech stuff to run well and last a long
time.

I'm interested in any thoughts or experiences you have on these things.
I dont know much about Continental or Lycoming, except every time I see
them in gen aviation they look old tech, sound old tech, use oil by the
bucket because of the large tolerances of big air-cooled donks, and seem
to have as many problems as any other engines often due to the large
stresses of the big slow motors. But if I have to use one to get my
plane in the air, I guess Ill just have to do it.

Terry Wilson

Burra, South Australia.

---

flybill2usa(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: -reply from downunder Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> This is an ancient, but worthwhile discussion. It does boil down to being a personal decision and how we each arrive at our own decision is perhaps as instructive as the knowledge of the differences, to one still in the process of making that decision so I will chime in with my own road to this decision for whatever it's worth.

I can tell you that I truly agonized over it for about 2 years!

I had a Cessna 180 for 22 years and loved the smooth power of the 6 cylinder O-470 Continental engine. Every time I flew an airplane with a 4 cylinder Lycoming engine, I admired the light weight efficient power they produced but was not impressed by the vibration and seeming difficulty with starting compared with the O-470. Perhaps one of the strongest pulls for me was a desire for 6 cylinders. Another was the shock cooling issue which of course resides in all air cooled aircraft engines. I towed gliders with Pawnee's powered by Lycoming O-540s which were smoother and had great power, but shock cooling of the cylinders was a huge concern.

While magnetos are relatively simple and very reliable over the course of a 2000 hour TBO they often are at the center of traditional engine problems.

It is absolutely true that traditional engines are relatively simple with few failure points, with very long histories of usage and reliability and that is a very powerful argument in favor of them.
Perhaps their strongest, which was the source of most of my agony in deciding, but in the end, the smooth power and modern engineering advancements and perhaps most of all, the reputation of the integrity of the Eggenfellner organization won the day and I made the decision knowing the risks and I have chosen the new H6T engine to go along with a modern 'all glass" cockpit, for my RV-7.

There you have it. You pays your money and makes your choices.

Bill Schoen
RV-7 90%
N727BN (res)

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: