Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV7A vs RV9A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rafael(at)gforcecable.com

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: RV7A vs RV9A Reply with quote

Although I’ve been flying for over 29 years, I’m about to become a new builder. I’m evaluating the merits of the RV9A and the RV7A. My interests are for an airplane that would carry my wife and I on trips from South Carolina to the Midwest and occasionally to the West coast. Aerobatics are not a priority, although, if I build the 7, I would like to dip my toe into this type of flying.

A couple of questions:

Which airplane makes a better IFR platform? I imagine that the 9 would probably be less responsive (more stable?). Would the 7 behave better in the bumps (higher wing loading).

If I build the 7, the 180hp, not available in the 9, would get you higher faster.

For the long trips, I would like to add fuel capacity. What’s the added cost and weight of adding tip tanks? I’ve heard of 8.5 gal, giving 55 gal total. Would putting tip tanks on the 7 limit its aerobatic capabilities?

This is my first post, so please let me know if this is the kind of questions appropriate for this forum.

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
klwerner(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: RV7A vs RV9A Reply with quote

Although I’ve been flying for over 29 years, I’m about to become a new builder. I’m evaluating the merits of the RV9A and the RV7A. My interests are for an airplane that would carry my wife and I on trips from South Carolina to the Midwest and occasionally to the West coast. Aerobatics are not a priority, although, if I build the 7, I would like to dip my toe into this type of flying.
[quote]
A couple of questions:

Which airplane makes a better IFR platform? I imagine that the 9 would probably be less responsive (more stable?). Would the 7 behave better in the bumps (higher wing loading).
**The -9 would be better for IFR.

If I build the 7, the 180hp, not available in the 9, would get you higher faster.
**Maybe, but not by much, I would say. The -9 has a pretty efficient wing.

For the long trips, I would like to add fuel capacity. What’s the added cost and weight of adding tip tanks? I’ve heard of 8.5 gal, giving 55 gal total. Would putting tip tanks on the 7 limit its aerobatic capabilities?
**I don't think that there are commercially available wingtanks available on the -9. I have a Johanssen set for my -6, and I wondered if I should rig one for gas/endurance, and the other for the effects longer endurance has on a humans bladder, if you get my drift Wink

This is my first post, so please let me know if this is the kind of questions appropriate for this forum.
**Yes, it sure is appropriate. At least this one has to do with RV related information, which many other post do not anymore.

Thanks and best regards,
Rafael
Enjoy the journey, and welcome!
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Brunke

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: RV7A vs RV9A Reply with quote

Rafael,

Welcome to the list. If aerobatics are not a priority have you looked at the RV10? Very roomy with a baggage door that makes loading
a breeze. Just flew down to Sun and Fun from the Chicago area in a friend's -10. Basically 5 hours flight time each way with a fuel/bladder stop. Loads of panel space for whatever you want to put in there.

I'm building an RV7. Although I will take the occasional long trip with my wife, I mainly want it to go out and play. You can do rolls
all day long and more high G manuevers if you feel the need. For me the tail wheel has a lot of appeal since it is different from
anything else I've ever flown. It is slightly more challenging because it's different. Not any harder, just different.

The best part of all this is you have lots of choices. It all depends what you really want to do. There's also a lot of information out
on the web. Some make it sound like their way is the only way. As a builder, you can do what is comfortable for you, financially
and safety wise.

Best of luck on your project,
John Brunke
St. Charles, IL
RV7 tip-up in progress

[quote] ---

jclarkmail(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: RV7A vs RV9A Reply with quote

Rafael,

Where is SC are you?

If you are ever in the Columbia area, we probably can arrange for you to see an RV9A, RV6's, maybe RV7A, several RV7s under construction, an although you did not reference such maybe an RV4 under construction and an RV10 just getting started. Probably could rustle up a ride as well.

Now to your questions ... I think you have received good answers already but ask yourself the following ...
1. Will MOST of my flying be cross-country?
2. Will I EVER want to do aerobatics?

Both planes fly quite nicely. The stick forces on the 9(A) is a bit "heavier" as you get farther into the roll to one side or the other but it still flies "like an RV".

James
On 5/9/07, Rafael <rafael(at)gforcecable.com (rafael(at)gforcecable.com)> wrote:[quote]
Although I've been flying for over 29 years, I'm about to become a new builder. I'm evaluating the merits of the RV9A and the RV7A. My interests are for an airplane that would carry my wife and I on trips from South Carolina to the Midwest and occasionally to the West coast. Aerobatics are not a priority, although, if I build the 7, I would like to dip my toe into this type of flying.

A couple of questions:

For the long trips, I would like to add fuel capacity. What's the added cost and weight of adding tip tanks? I've heard of 8.5 gal, giving 55 gal total. Would putting tip tanks on the 7 limit its aerobatic capabilities?

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael

[quote][b] http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List http://forums.matronics.com james(at)nextupventures.com .
[quote][b]

cnpeters

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: RV7A vs RV9A Reply with quote

Both will give you immense joy. Last year, I pondered the same Q's. Both
have the same fuselage, but empennage and especially the wings are
different.
That being said...

RV-9 pros - Perhaps a little more stable IFR platform. Better glide
ratio. Lands at lower trainer like speeds. Personally, I like the
aesthetics of the longer wing. Largest engine (O-320/150-160hp) is
ubiquitous on the used (and new) market.

RV-7 pros - Aerobatics of the "gentleman" type. This was my biggest
hurdle - do I potentially want to do some down the road?? I decided not,
but you always have the potential with the -7 (though I know folks who
have admitted doing rolls and even loops in the -9, but great care is
needed to avoid overloading the frame as with any utility category
craft). A little faster with a bigger engine, but also a little more
fuel burn for that increased speed (research I've done shows a slightly
throttled back RV-7/O-360/180hp flying the same speed as an
RV-9/O-320/160hp will have almost the exact fuel burn. This was also
corroborated by a Van's engineer to me. Dan Checkoway's wonderful
machine excepted : ) ). Bigger engine choices - though not really a big
deal. Quite a few RV-9's with O-360's - just be very cognizant of Vne.
Possible resale advantage with the RV-7 due to higher popularity and
aerobatic capability.

I chose the -9 for a cross-country platform and lack of interest in
aerobatics, and frankly I like its looks more with the higher stance on
the tri-gear and longer wing. Really try and get a ride in each, and
play with some aerobatics in the -7. If there is a chance you want to
yank and bank, your decision is made (though a demo ride in a -9 showed
it could be jerked around just fine short of defined aerobatics). As an
IFR platform, a good autopilot will help for the small decrease in
stability - many folks have used their -7's IFR/Xcountry successfully.

Carl
RV-9A wings

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: RV7A vs RV9A Reply with quote

Thank you very much for this and other replies to my inquiry.

Carl's statement, "just be very cognizant of Vne" raised my eyebrows a bit.
I looked for Vne numbers for the 7A and the 9A in Van's website, but could
not find them.

Does anyone have the Vne numbers on the 7A and 9A.

Best regards,

Rafael
--

pwatsonfnp(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: RV7A vs RV9A Reply with quote

RV7 Vne is 230mph. Not sure about the9.

--

retasker(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: RV7A vs RV9A Reply with quote

I don't know what it is for the 9/9A, but it has to be higher than your
number as the top speed (solo) with a 160hp engine is listed as
197mph.on Van's website. I am quite sure that Van would not list a top
speed higher than Vne!

Dick Tasker

William Bell wrote:

Quote:

I am building an RV-7A and the Vne speeds can be found in the
construction manual in Section 15, Final Inspection and Flight Test,
in the Flutter Testing paragraphs. Mine are on page 15-20 although
the pages could be different for other manuals. According to the
construction manual, RV 7/7A/8/8A the Vne is 230 statute miles per
hour and 190 statute mph for the RV-9A.

--
Please Note:
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however,
that a significant number of electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.
--

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: RV7A vs RV9A Reply with quote

James,

I’m in Aiken, SC. I would absolutely love to take a look at the projects and would gladly pay all expenses for a ride in an RV. I’m retired, so any time any day is convenient for me.

My decision once more changes to the 9A over the 7A. Last night a voice kept telling me: Keep It Simple Stupid! After running a spread sheet with the number$, a 9A with a fixed pitch prop, and an O-320 engine would plenty of airplane for me.

My cell # (803)292-7410

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of James Clark
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:12 PM
To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV7A vs RV9A

Rafael,

Where is SC are you?

If you are ever in the Columbia area, we probably can arrange for you to see an RV9A, RV6's, maybe RV7A, several RV7s under construction, an although you did not reference such maybe an RV4 under construction and an RV10 just getting started. Probably could rustle up a ride as well.

Now to your questions ... I think you have received good answers already but ask yourself the following ...
1. Will MOST of my flying be cross-country?
2. Will I EVER want to do aerobatics?

Both planes fly quite nicely. The stick forces on the 9(A) is a bit "heavier" as you get farther into the roll to one side or the other but it still flies "like an RV".

James

On 5/9/07, Rafael <rafael(at)gforcecable.com (rafael(at)gforcecable.com)> wrote:
Although I've been flying for over 29 years, I'm about to become a new builder. I'm evaluating the merits of the RV9A and the RV7A. My interests are for an airplane that would carry my wife and I on trips from South Carolina to the Midwest and occasionally to the West coast. Aerobatics are not a priority, although, if I build the 7, I would like to dip my toe into this type of flying.

A couple of questions:

For the long trips, I would like to add fuel capacity. What's the added cost and weight of adding tip tanks? I've heard of 8.5 gal, giving 55 gal total. Would putting tip tanks on the 7 limit its aerobatic capabilities?

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-Listhttp://forums.matronics.comjames(at)nextupventures.com .

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: