Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV8- Dimple Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: RV8- Dimple Question Reply with quote

Hello RV-8a builders, I am deburring and dimpling the fuselage. Am I reading 28a (2Cool correct ? Are there five 470 rivets on each side that have the working ends exposed on the bottom ? They are at bulkhead 804. Further, does that mean that the remainder of the rivets along the bottom longren forward of 804 have the working ends inside the cockpit ? Also, is there something simple (paper, plan {other that Van's} written words, diagram, etc.) that shows or explains precisely which holes are dimpled, their directions and whether to counter sink or dimple ? Such a aid would really be valuable. Hope to hear from someone before I screw up again , Best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
HeathCherneski

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: RV8- Dimple Question Reply with quote

Bill of Georgia, the idea is to follow the rivet plan (can't remeber the plans number) and only dimple those holes that call for a counter sunk rivet. the 470 rivets will be covered by the wing and do not need to be countersunk. i drove all rivets from the outside of the fuse, bucking on the inside. you might want to circle the group of holes that do not get dimpled ( i did as a reminder) so you don't have to spend time double, triple and qusdruple checking the plans. good luck and happy rivetting!
Heath
N818HC
Enterprise, Alabama

On 5/21/07, japhillipsga(at)aol.com (japhillipsga(at)aol.com) <japhillipsga(at)aol.com (japhillipsga(at)aol.com)> wrote: [quote] Hello RV-8a builders, I am deburring and dimpling the fuselage. Am I reading 28a (2Cool correct ? Are there five 470 rivets on each side that have the working ends exposed on the bottom ? They are at bulkhead 804. Further, does that mean that the remainder of the rivets along the bottom longren forward of 804 have the working ends inside the cockpit ? Also, is there something simple (paper, plan {other that Van's} written words, diagram, etc.) that shows or explains precisely which holes are dimpled, their directions and whether to counter sink or dimple ? Such a aid would really be valuable. Hope to hear from someone before I screw up again , Best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

martin(at)gbonline.com

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: RV8- Dimple Question Reply with quote

Bill

95% of the rivets in the RV airplanes require dimpling. The few that need countersinking will be obvious.
Note: there are ok dimple dies and there are GOOD dimple dies. I had best luck with the spring back dies from Avery and Cleveland.

Dick Martin
RV8 N233M
the fast one
[quote] ---

Speedy11(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: RV8- Dimple Question Reply with quote

Bill of Georgia,
You're not exactly getting your question answered, are you?
I do recall that there are about 5 rivets on each side that have the shop head on the outside of the fuselage. I thought it a bit strange at the time, but since mine is a QB, I assumed the Phillipinos had done it right.
My hard drive crashed, so the photos I had of the plans was lost, but I will look at Dwg 28A at the shop today and confirm the info for you. In fact, I'll take a photo to send you.
The Van's RV-8A builder's manual is sadly inadequate. I jokingly say it says, "Build wing. Attach wing."
I wish Van's would rewrite it to be like the new RV-10 manual, but that is unlikely.
Stan Sutterfield
www.rv-8a.net

Quote:
Hello RV-8a builders, I am deburring and dimpling the fuselage. Am I
reading 28a (2Cool correct ? Are there five 470 rivets on each side that
have the working ends exposed on the bottom ? They are at bulkhead 804.
Further, does that mean that the remainder of the rivets along the
bottom longren forward of 804 have the working ends inside the cockpit ?
Also, is there something simple (paper, plan {other that Van's} written
words, diagram, etc.) that shows or explains precisely which holes are
dimpled, their directions and whether to counter sink or dimple ? Such a
aid would really be valuable. Hope to hear from someone before I screw
up again , Best regards, Bill of Georgia

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: RV8- Dimple Question Reply with quote

Stan, thanks for the info. Yes, I think if you have already built an 8a the plans would probably be clear and sufficient, but to a slow county boy they border on Greek in some ways. I found a photo I took at S n F of a 8a bottom and it shows a fiberglass cover for the landing gear that covers the 5 rivet heads so I can see now they are hidden, Best regards, Bill

--

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: RV8- Dimple Question Reply with quote

Dick, thanks for the info. I'll have to look into the spring type dies. Best regards, Bill

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: