Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Initial Engine Start 8-Cyl 5100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powens(at)tds.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Initial Engine Start 8-Cyl 5100 Reply with quote

The day has finally arrived!!!! Monday June 12th 2007 engine ignition of Jabiru 5100 180 HP 8 Cyl engine #5 off the production line!

After much work and a lot of time making the engine installation into the Zenith CH-801 for the 1st time we have an operational engine,
and I must say it was spectacular. Fired without a hitch very quickly and settled into a roar just as fast. Thrust from the 3-blade custom made Catto prop almost blew over the A&P standing alongside the fuselage and we didn't get above 1600 RPM out of the top of 3000.
Will be making some improvements to the throttle linkage to assure there is no movement. Since this is the first time this engine has ever been installed in this airframe there has been a lot of design engineering to get everything located and operating properly, dual throttle controls so the a/c can be flown from either side, development of a fuel rail to improve the fuel delivery and provide a place for the fuel flow meter and fuel pressure sender, development of an airbox that will be neutral to airpressure so as not to upset the Bing altitude compensating carbys, design and manufacture the carby heat box and shields, redesign and install new exhaust system so exhaust tubes from engine are inside the outflow tubes, change oil lines to A/C fittings instead of hoseclamps, install oil pan heater for cold weather.
You get the idea, a lot of thought to get it into the airframe!  I wish to Thank the Jabiru team for their assistance in re-designing the engine mount, it was essential in order to have enough room for the cobra intake heads, note however, we had to rebuild them smaller as they did not fit the carby intake. Down to the last item, design and manufacture the nosebowl and cowling, go through the entire A/C in a pre-inspection inspection before the FAA comes to check it out. Whoooooopeeeeee!

Phil Owens CH-801 Builder
Beloit,WI
Southern Wisconsin Regional Airport
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
matronics(at)rtist.nl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Initial Engine Start 8-Cyl 5100 Reply with quote

Hey, congratulations Phil!

I know how that feels, the first start of my 3300 was spectacular too. I guess you have 50% more fun though Wink

Rob

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Peter H

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Initial Engine Start 8-Cyl 5100 Reply with quote

Congratulations Phil but take it easy with the 8 there are not many hours in the field.
Cheers
Peter

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Phil Owens
Sent: Thursday, 14 June 2007 11:12 AM
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: JabiruEngine-List: Initial Engine Start 8-Cyl 5100

The day has finally arrived!!!! Monday June 12th 2007 engine ignition of Jabiru 5100 180 HP 8 Cyl engine #5 off the production line!

After much work and a lot of time making the engine installation into the Zenith CH-801 for the 1st time we have an operational engine,

and I must say it was spectacular. Fired without a hitch very quickly and settled into a roar just as fast. Thrust from the 3-blade custom made Catto prop almost blew over the A&P standing alongside the fuselage and we didn't get above 1600 RPM out of the top of 3000.

Will be making some improvements to the throttle linkage to assure there is no movement. Since this is the first time this engine has ever been installed in this airframe there has been a lot of design engineering to get everything located and operating properly, dual throttle controls so the a/c can be flown from either side, development of a fuel rail to improve the fuel delivery and provide a place for the fuel flow meter and fuel pressure sender, development of an airbox that will be neutral to airpressure so as not to upset the Bing altitude compensating carbys, design and manufacture the carby heat box and shields, redesign and install new exhaust system so exhaust tubes from engine are inside the outflow tubes, change oil lines to A/C fittings instead of hoseclamps, install oil pan heater for cold weather.

You get the idea, a lot of thought to get it into the airframe! I wish to Thank the Jabiru team for their assistance in re-designing the engine mount, it was essential in order to have enough room for the cobra intake heads, note however, we had to rebuild them smaller as they did not fit the carby intake. Down to the last item, design and manufacture the nosebowl and cowling, go through the entire A/C in a pre-inspection inspection before the FAA comes to check it out. Whoooooopeeeeee!

Phil Owens CH-801 Builder

Beloit,WI

Southern Wisconsin Regional Airport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

xavierzr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Initial Engine Start 8-Cyl 5100 Reply with quote

Dear Phil,
I own a 801 with jabiru 5100 engine but im having overheat problems also my sensenich prop isnt working as it supposed to, I would really appreciate if you can tell me wich propeller you use and if theres not too much trouble, photos of your cowling.
I really Appreciate it!!
Thank you
Xavier Zuniga
XVRZNG(at)yahoo.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: