Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuel tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bernhard10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: fuel tank Reply with quote

My fuel tank is leaking, specially when it's full. Does anybody have the same problem and if so, is there a fix for it.

Also when the tank is 3/4 full ( or less) the needle of the fuel gauge jumps all over the place from empty to full. Accurate or for that matter even approx. reading is impossible.

thanks

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank Reply with quote

Bernhard,

Are you referring to the fuel cap leaking in the main fuel tank located below the seats? If so, then remove the cap and notice that there is a screw or nut (can't remember which) in the center on the inside. Adjusting this will make the seal against the tank inlet either tighter or looser. It requires a little finesse to get it just right. Too tight and the locking lever won't close or is too hard to open. Too loose and the seal leaks. I struggled with this problem for over a year before finally figuring this out. Now, no leaks.

If you are referring to wing tanks, I don't know what to tell you. Our Allegro does not have them nor do we need them. I have a 2 1/2 hour bladder which pretty much requires me to stop for personal relief with one hour of fuel remaining in the main tank.

The fuel gauge is wildly inaccurate and begins to swing around in flight after burning off the first 4-5 gallons. I never trust any fuel gauge in any airplane unless I've calibrated it. Actually, I don't calibrate/fix the inaccuracies. Instead, I empty the tank and add back two gallons at a time and note the position of the needle on the gauge at every two gallon interval and note those readings in our flight manual which is a home-made, small format affair in a small three-ring binder we keep at hand. Then, I use this only as a gross indication of fuel remaining. For better accuracy I depend upon elapsed time and known fuel consumption rate for more precise fuel remaining calculations.

Back in the late 60s I flew a Mooney on a night flight from Atlanta to Miami non-stop w/ three passengers and landed with less than 20 minutes remaining of fuel, based on fuel added, due to an unexpected diversion I had to make in-flight. That is by far the closest I've ever come to running out of fuel in flight. It scared me enough that I stop for fuel no later than one hour remaining, no matter what.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
airgriff(at)surferz.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: fuel tank Reply with quote

Hi guys, as far as the fuel tank leak, loosen the seat belts all the way to get the seat out of the way. Carefully feel and smell the carpet on top of the tank for gas. What happens is the rivits under the seat tend to wear on the top of the fiberglass tank . We cut the carpet with a 5" slit to expose the wet area and mixed up an expoxy solution and covered the worn area. Before positioning the seat back we padded around the rivits with a 2" piece of carpet with a dime size hole in the middle glued around the rivits. Problem fixed. Thom Riddle had talked about this also on the list. Good luck.     Also in regards to the question on rudder with the "07 model", I think they did something with the linkage of the rudder which was an improvement. I didnt experiment much with adverse yaw but I didnt seem to sense any problem. Still a plane you cant fly with your feet on the floor.
Fly safe Bob Griffin
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: