Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hooker 5-point harnesses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Over on the VAF website they've got a 30% group buy going on for the hooker 5-point harnesses.  While I'm not quite finished with the tailcone yet it's kinda hard to pass on this if they will work.  Can anybody a little further along in the build, or any flyers, tell me if these will work in the -10.  Front and back or just front???  Any Mods required to install them???

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Bill Britton
RV-10 tailcone/ revisiting VS for the SB

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

You may be able to get them to work, but...
Consider that you only use 4 point in the front, 5 point
in the rear if you go by plans. I used 4 point both places.
Also, the front harness uses a long webbing lead since it's mounted
well rear of the front seats. I have hooker harnesses for the
RV-10. You may want to contact them and see if you get in on
the group buy can you get the RV-10 harness set.
Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
Bill and Tami Britton wrote:
Quote:
Over on the VAF website they've got a 30% group buy going on for the
hooker 5-point harnesses. While I'm not quite finished with the
tailcone yet it's kinda hard to pass on this if they will work. Can
anybody a little further along in the build, or any flyers, tell me if
these will work in the -10. Front and back or just front??? Any Mods
required to install them???

Bill Britton

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

armywrights(at)adelphia.n

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Valentine’s Day Special bulletin:

If you ever have the need to fly a special lady and a function and are time crunched for changing clothes, if she’s wearing a skirt/dress you may want to rethink 5-pt harnesses for your cross-country cruiser and leave the 5-pts to the hard aerobatic guys.  Of course you could always install a 4-pt or shoulder/lap belt combo on that side so you can do your acro solo.

Rob #392

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bill and Tami Britton
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:40 PM
To: RV10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses

Over on the VAF website they've got a 30% group buy going on for the hooker 5-point harnesses.  While I'm not quite finished with the tailcone yet it's kinda hard to pass on this if they will work.  Can anybody a little further along in the build, or any flyers, tell me if these will work in the -10.  Front and back or just front???  Any Mods required to install them???

Bill Britton

jjessen(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Why does one use 5-point in the rear? Are your kids doing acro back there
without letting those in front join in the fun? Or, is there one h*ll of a
tail wag that we don't know about? Seriously, though. Why?

John Jessen

do not archive

--

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Um, can't she just not attach the 5th strap for that flight?

TDT
do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of Robert G. Wright
Sent: Tue 2/14/2006 10:17 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Hooker 5-point harnesses

Valentine's Day Special bulletin:

If you ever have the need to fly a special lady and a function and are time crunched for changing clothes, if she's wearing a skirt/dress you may want to rethink 5-pt harnesses for your cross-country cruiser and leave the 5-pts to the hard aerobatic guys. Of course you could always install a 4-pt or shoulder/lap belt combo on that side so you can do your acro solo.

Rob #392

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bill and Tami Britton

Over on the VAF website they've got a 30% group buy going on for the hooker 5-point harnesses. While I'm not quite finished with the tailcone yet it's kinda hard to pass on this if they will work. Can anybody a little further along in the build, or any flyers, tell me if these will work in the -10. Front and back or just front??? Any Mods required to install them???

Bill Britton

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Read again... Plans = 5pt. Mine = 4 pt in rear.
I don't need that injury-causing, knee poking, metal
crotch tab sticking up injuring my kids. I got rid
of the thing and went with 4pt. I agree with your
statement...it's pointless to have 5.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
John Jessen wrote:
[quote]

John Jessen

do not archive

--

sms(at)instakey.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Bill - I just this past weekend installed my set of Hooker Harnesses.  Piece of cake!  5 points for the rear and 4 points for the front.  Took a grand total of an hour o install all sets.

Scott M. Serani, 40341
Engine just installed

--

jump2(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Has anybody ask Van why they put the 5 pt in back?
I know of one RV6 crash that had 5 pt and he 's convinced the fifth saved him. Remember the front seats slide and the back is stationary. There might be a better way of putting the attachtment in the back and I will consider that.
 The main thing is wear your seat belt and shoulder harness, from a man with  experience both ways.
Pat Thyssen
my .02

Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: Tim Olson

Read again... Plans = 5pt. Mine = 4 pt in rear.
I don't need that injury-causing, knee poking, metal
crotch tab sticking up injuring my kids. I got rid
of the thing and went with 4pt. I agree with your
statement...it's pointless to have 5.

Tim Olson - RV-1 0 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
John Jessen wrote:
[quote] --> RV10-List message posted by: "John Jessen"

John Jessen

do not archive

--

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Any way I can bolt down my ankle bitter is a good thing.  Seriously though, I don't see any reason for a 5 point in the -10.  I seriously doubt that anyone will be doing acro in the -10 which is the only reason you would really need it.  This thing is a cruiser not an acro so I didn't even put in the hard points for the 5th.  On a side note I will probably go with the AMSAFE inertial belts for mine which will still give me 4 point.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage

--

william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

That's a good point. As I stated earlier in my original post , I'm still
working on the tailcone so I am not even sure what the plans call for. I do
know that I'd prefer to stay away from whatever belt Vans used in their
260HP -10 proto. I demo'ed it at OSH last year and they seemed very large,
heavy and just downright clumsy to me. Does anybody offer a car-type belt.
(ie. one that you just click together--maybe that's what the inertial belts
are, I don't know)???

As for the hookers, I've decided to wait on it anyway. I guess that they
offer 20% off at OSH so I'll look at them there.

Thanks
Bill

Do Not Archive

---

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Bill and Tami Britton wrote:

Quote:

<william(at)gbta.net>

That's a good point. As I stated earlier in my original post , I'm
still working on the tailcone so I am not even sure what the plans
call for. I do know that I'd prefer to stay away from whatever belt
Vans used in their 260HP -10 proto. I demo'ed it at OSH last year and
they seemed very large, heavy and just downright clumsy to me.

I didn't remember anything unusual about their belts. However, I'm used
to 3" belts in my Pitts!

Quote:
Does anybody offer a car-type belt. (ie. one that you just click
together--maybe that's what the inertial belts are, I don't know)???

Recent vintage car belts are inertial reel ..... and you can find them
in an aviation-grade safety harness. You may want to re-think using
lightweight auto belts. They're designed to restrain you in a car going
.... maybe 80 with a safety margin ..... but your airplane is doing
more than twice that. Just a thought.

Quote:
As for the hookers, I've decided to wait on it anyway. I guess that
they offer 20% off at OSH so I'll look at them there.

Let's face it. Hooker is THE name on belts the Nascar guys use ...... I
doubt you'll find better quality gear. We all hope we never need them,
but if you do, wouldn't you want the best???
Linn
do not archive

Quote:

Thanks
Bill

Do Not Archive

armywrights(at)adelphia.n

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Sorry, guess I’m not aware of different configs.  The ones I’m familiar with have the buckle on the crotch strap, so it would have to be used.

Rob

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Dawson-Townsend
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:40 PM

Um, can't she just not attach the 5th strap for that flight?

TDT

do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of Robert G. Wright
Sent: Tue 2/14/2006 10:17 PM

Valentine’s Day Special bulletin:

If you ever have the need to fly a special lady and a function and are time crunched for changing clothes, if she’s wearing a skirt/dress you may want to rethink 5-pt harnesses for your cross-country cruiser and leave the 5-pts to the hard aerobatic guys.  Of course you could always install a 4-pt or shoulder/lap belt combo on that side so you can do your acro solo.

Rob #392

Bill Britton

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

A crotch strap can certainly prevent "submarining" in an accident, particularly for kids or others who might be on the small side. "Submarining" is when the body slides down and forward, so you end up with your lap belts around your neck . . .

TDT

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Wed 2/15/2006 6:55 PM

Any way I can bolt down my ankle bitter is a good thing. Seriously though, I don't see any reason for a 5 point in the -10. I seriously doubt that anyone will be doing acro in the -10 which is the only reason you would really need it. This thing is a cruiser not an acro so I didn't even put in the hard points for the 5th. On a side note I will probably go with the AMSAFE inertial belts for mine which will still give me 4 point.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage

--

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Tim Dawson-Townsend wrote:

Quote:
A crotch strap can certainly prevent "submarining" in an accident, particularly for kids or others who might be on the small side. "Submarining" is when the body slides down and forward, so you end up with your lap belts around your neck . . .

TDT

The definition is certainly true, but I, personally, don't think a

5-point harness is relevant to a 'touring' airplane that's most likely
NOT going to be used for aerobatics. Preventing submarining, I guess,
is one aspect of the crotch strap, but for me (in my Pitts), the crotch
strap is more effective at anchoring the lap belt so it can't move in an
arc defined by the lap belt attach points. The shoulder harness would
pull the lap belt up without the crotch strap.

I can see the possibility, though of having the shoulder harness tight
enough that submarining could occur, but having the shoulder harness
that tight would be uncomfortable. In sudden deceleration, the torso
tends to move forward into the shoulder harness creating a better angle
at the lap belt to make submarining less of a possibility.

The single most beneficial thing you can do with your restraint system
is to anchor the shoulder harnesses as high above the 'shoulder level'
as possible.

My comments aren't here to dissuade anyone from putting a 5-point
harness in their planes ..... just food for thought.
Linn

doo not archive

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

Of course there is always that balance between practicality and safety.  I am fairly confident that my 30 something waistline and 6'2" frame will help keep me from sliding very far.  Now we could always improve on the 5 point by say, making your flight suit and the seat cushions out of Velcro.  Might make getting out normally a bit difficult though.  Smile

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage
Do not archive

--

coop85(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Hooker 5-point harnesses Reply with quote

As for those looking for a car type belt, is there any disadvantage to those
that Van's sells? About $320 for the set of 4.

Marcus

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: