Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DYNAMIC BALANCE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter H

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: DYNAMIC BALANCE Reply with quote

As a result of finding several instances of a low frequency vibration I took the opportunity when we had a week of bad weather to remove the prop , spinner and backing plate and spent three days balancing the set at home. Very boring and tedious adding and taking 2mm screws, nuts and washers I could only do it for an hour at a time. Any draft in the house and the prop would move. When it was perfect and soon after in flight I got a very bad scary low frequency vibration when decelerating and turning left at about 140KTS.Maybe precession triggered it off. Reducing throttle did not immediately help.
I got the set up dynamically balanced and it took a 3/4X 7/16” bolt with nut and two washers to correct the dynamic balance. I had been very satisfied with the engine running but it ran smoother than ever before when the first weight was fitted. The difference was very obvious. The prop/spinner and backing plate are now NO WAY in static balance. I have marked the parts and the prop shaft. The job took 4/4 hour and was done in the hangar.
It means that it was my engine that was badly out of balance and is now corrected by the dynamic balancing of the prop/backing plate.
It means that if flywheel bolts are breaking it could be due to a poorly balanced engine. My 3300 engine was factory rebuilt to zero hours in 2006.
Based on my experience I would recommend that all users get a proper dynamic balance, making sure that the backing plate and spinner are in good sound condition at the same time.
I understand that Pete and some others have got the equipment to do the job.
Peter H
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
promod69camaro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: DYNAMIC BALANCE Reply with quote

When you sent the engine in to be rebuilt, did they change out the pistons and/or connecting rods? They may be using a different weight piston if so. It sounds to me like each crank needs to by dynamically balanced with the pistons and rods that are going into it. When I build a race engine, we match the pistons up according to weight. Each one is weighed to find the lightest one. We then remove material from all the others until they are all the same weight. That way, the recipicating mass is the same through out the engine. The machinest says it is easier to get a good rotating assembly balance this way and the engines seem to live longer.
I sure hope that your engine is the exception and not the rule. These engines are to expensive for basic machining to not be performed.
Shawn
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Last edited by promod69camaro on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter H

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: DYNAMIC BALANCE Reply with quote

Shawn I bought the engine rebuilt from the factory and have no details how
the job was done. It was sold to me with warranty as a zero hours engine.
When an intermittent problem low frequency vibration was not solved with
careful static prop balance I got a dynamic balance and noticed an immediate
and major improvement in running the engine . It is like a different engine.
It took a 3/4X1/4" bolt,nut and washer about 4" from centre on the backing
plate to get it right.
Peter

--

jetboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DYNAMIC BALANCE Reply with quote

Peter,
Having had dynamic balancing and similar weights applied to a C150 I understand your concern about the engine balance.

I do wonder though, if the prop is still the problem? Can you be sure that the weight distribution within the prop is the same for each blade? If not, then the solution for static balance will be different to that of dynamic balance, and the reaction to yaw will also be different.

Ralph

Peter H

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: DYNAMIC BALANCE Reply with quote

Ralph,
I cannot be sure if the weight distribution in the prop is uniform. I can
only say that it is a wooden prop made by Ed Sterba (US) and he has a good
reputation for high performance wooden props. It would be fair to say that
the prop is an average wooden prop with average density characteristics.
Do you have any information about variability in wooden props?
In my case the correction was very large ie a 1/4"X 3/4 bolt nut and washer
at about 4" from centre. Seems like a lot of imbalance to attribute to the
light weight prop. It would be a good thing to get some more data and I
would recommend dynamic balance to all J3300 users. Provided the job is done
starting with a static balanced prop then we could see if there are any
others. It took 3/4HR and cost me AU$120.
Peter

--

promod69camaro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: DYNAMIC BALANCE Reply with quote

Peter,
I know that what you have already done is working, but if you put weight further out on the propeller, it won't require as much to be dynamically balanced. And the lighter weight further out will not affect the static balance as much either. Or you could just cut of several inches of prop on the heavy side and call it fixed. Laughing
________
Vaporizer Volcano

Last edited by promod69camaro on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter H

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: DYNAMIC BALANCE Reply with quote

Ha Ha
But the application of weight is off axis with the prop in my case, I would
have to mount an outrigger (LOL)
Peter

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: