Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Thermostat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bernhard10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Due to the cooler temperatures here in the NW my oil temps stay mostly on the cool side and it take a pretty long warm up period to reach the min. temp..

I decided to buy and Oil thermostat from CPS ( see attached pic )

I am curious if anybody is using this thermostat and if so, how & where did you mount it ??

Some pictures would greatly help.

Thanks in advance

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List

Oil_Therm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.1 KB
 Viewed:  632 Time(s)

Oil_Therm.jpg

airgriff(at)surferz.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Hi Bernhard, (there was no name on your post?) We are in the NE and run our Allegro in the cold temps. Last fall we had our mechanic install the thermostst you bought, on our 912s. We got it from Lockwood. I flew the plane alot (demos and shows) and can tell you it made a hugh difference. Oil temps came up to operating range in 5 min. not 15. In flight temps run 182* - 184*. Right where you want to be to displace moisture. I was not there when the mech did the installation but I know we needed more oil line. The owner may have taken photos, I'm not sure? He may be able to help you out more as he was there when it was installed. His name is Lee Ramsdell. You can contact him at landlsportaviation.com I also read something recently about trying not to use 90* elbows which may restrict flow. You may want to check with Rotax in regards to that? Bob Griffin Berne NY
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Bernhard10,

I bought the identical oil thermostat from Summit Racing and installed
it over a year ago. Next time I'm at the hangar and have the lower
cowling off, I'll take some photos of my installation. It was a tight
fit but it works pretty well.

It speeds up the warmup period and helps keep the oil temperature up
closer to normal in low power situations. Keep in mind it is always
open at least part of the way(10% or so) even in cold weather so that
there is some oil flowing through the oil cooler at all times. It
should be wide open by the time it reaches 180F so above that
temperature it will just as if there was no thermostat installed. Below
180F it gradually closes down to keep the oil from getting much cooler
than that. On ours, at very low power settings the oil temperature runs
around 170F now, much lower before the installation.

I'll give you some pointers when I get and post the photos of how we
did it.

Thom in Buffalo

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Bernhard10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Thermostat Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your input. and yes I look forward to the pictures so I can get the installation going. I want to combine it with my oil change which is pretty much due.
I also read somewhere to avoid 90 degree elbows, that's why I ordered the straight fittings and hope they will do the job.
Looking forward to learn some more and see some installation pics, fly safe
Bernhard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: