Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Component Enclosure Opinions Appreciated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Homebuilt-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikefapex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Component Enclosure Opinions Appreciated Reply with quote

Hi,

I am upgrading my tube/rag type aircraft electrical system to a Z-19. In doing this I will need to mount components inside of some kind of enclosure near the engine (vibration). There is no other room inside the aircraft for such.

Components include: main/eng battery contactors, main bat/eng bat/main power fuse block bus, ground block, power diodes, OV module, Low voltage module). The component weight comes to about 6 pounds including wire inside the enclosure.

My choices are narrowed down so far to two types:

1. Nema Fiberglass with see-through latch cover
pros: sturdy, easy to preflight, existing mounting holes, water/oil resistent
cons: heavy (4 lb)

2. Aluminum Chassis box
pros: light (40 oz), easy to preflight with clear lexan cover
cons: .050 thickness aluminum, will have to add sealant to get more waterproof-ness, mounting a little trickier. Clear lexan cover not standard and removal with screwdriver, Concern that it will not be sturdy enough.

Your opinions and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,

Mike

- The Matronics Homebuilt-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Homebuilt-List
mikefapex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Component Enclosure Opinions Appreciated Reply with quote

bump

I am still interested in hearing from experienced voices about whether the lighter aluminum enclosure (.050) would support the weight of around 6 pounds in a flying, vibration environment.

Or if I should use the heavier NEMA fiberglass enclosure.

Thanks much.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Component Enclosure Opinions Appreciated Reply with quote

mikef wrote:
Quote:

bump

I am still interested in hearing from experienced voices about whether the lighter aluminum enclosure (.050) would support the weight of around 6 pounds in a flying, vibration environment.

Or if I should use the heavier NEMA fiberglass enclosure.

Thanks much.
I'd take a look at what actually needs to be in the enclosure. The

contactors are designed for the 'hostile' environment under the cowl. If
you limit the stuff to the fuse holder & the less-than-robust electronic
circuit boards, you could go with extremely light weigh enclosures.

mikefapex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Component Enclosure Opinions Appreciated Reply with quote

In this case there is no cowel. It is a Weight Shift Control aircraft with a pusher engine. The only place left to mount additional components is below the engine, attached to the frame that supports the engine. It is about 1' from the batteries.

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Component Enclosure Opinions Appreciated Reply with quote

mikef wrote:
Quote:

In this case there is no cowel. It is a Weight Shift Control aircraft
with a pusher engine. The only place left to mount additional
components is below the engine, attached to the frame that supports
the engine. It is about 1' from the batteries.

That implies at least 3 mount points to stabilize the box. How about AL
angle strong enough support the weight, providing 2 of the attach points
to the frame members. Heavy components mounted through the back wall of
the box to the AL angle, rest distributed as convenient in the box. Then
box strength isn't an issue.

mikefapex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Component Enclosure Opinions Appreciated Reply with quote

That is a great idea combining the major mount points with the heaviest components. Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Homebuilt-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: