Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JabiruEngine-List Digest: 2 Msgs - 09/30/07

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: JabiruEngine-List Digest: 2 Msgs - 09/30/07 Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/1/2007 2:59:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:
Hello Pete,
Thanks for chiming in here.
Quote:
This business about Jabiru not covering warranty is not what Jabiru USA has
experienced. Over the last seven years we've sold about 1000 engines and
have presented Jabiru with several warranty issues for both OP senders and
Ignition coils. Those claims have always been honored without question.
Do you still have your old coils or OP sender? If so send them to me and
I'll get the warranty replacements for you.

Well, Pete, I didn't pull this episode out of the vapors. It did happen. As I said in my previous post, both the coils that came on my engine failed early on. One on first start up, the other at about 30 hours. I can get you the exact time and date from the log on the second one if that makes any difference, but I recollect the second one failing at about 30 hours TT. Both these coils, along with my failed OP sensor, were sent to Andy Silvester for warranty replacement. I believe this was May or June of 2006 and I'm sure I still have the shipping info if you want the exact date. Andy told me at the time that he would issue a credit to me for the cost of the coils and the OP sensor when Jabiru made good on it.FWIW, I have a pretty good idea why he took that position with Jabiru, too.

I've checked in with Andy periodically since I sent him the failed parts and he has told me several times that he sent them on to Jabiru, along with some other failed parts. As of about a month ago when I last heard from him, they still had not replaced my coils or my OP sensor, but he was going to check with them again and told me not to give up yet.
Quote:
As for coils being different - there is no difference in the coils on any of
the Jabiru engines including the 4, 6, or 8 cylinder. The only difference
is that in years past the length of the lead was different on the 4 vs the 6
but for the last while the lengths have been the same.  There is no way
yours could have come from a 2200 as the leads would have been too short to
work on the 3300. The only way your coils could have been different is if
you had one of the engines that were produced in 2003 that had the "Leading
GX" coils that Jabiru found to be not up to the task and offered a
replacement for back in 2003 & 2004.
My engine is serial number 33A756 and was run in on 7-10-04. The factory should have records of what was installed on that serial number engine, shouldn't they? I took delivery in January of 2005. The coils that came on my engine are similar to what I saw on a 2200 about 3 years ago. I mean similar in terms of shape and size, not lead length. Maybe they were the old coils you mention, but my engine was assembled in the spring of 2004, I think. Perhaps mine is one of the ones that never had the "Leading GX" coils replaced? That one is news to me. Never heard that before.

There is absolutely no doubt that the coils that came on my engine were both smaller and had a different orientation of the secondary lead when compated to the used one that I bought from you, or the two new coils I bought from Andy. The difference between them has nothing to do with lead length and they even appear to be from the same vendor. I have a very nice side by side picture of the old and new coil if you'd like me to send it to you. They simply are not the same animal. They are both black if that makes any difference.

If you are referring to the ignition coil that Jabiru USA sent you as used -
it was taken off a brand new engine as we didn't have a coils in stock at
the time so in effect it was used but only for the short break in run at the
Jabiru factory. We did not consider it a "used" unit and were happy to
open up an engine box and take it off a new engine rather than keep you
waiting for our stock to arrive. In any case - if you still have your old
coils send them to me and I'll get a warranty replacement in short order.

FWIW, I wouldn't consider a coil taken from a crated engine a used coil either, Pete. Just so we're talking about the same part, the coil you sent me was billed on your invoice #1879, dated 5-15-06. When I phoned to order this coil I didn't talk to you, but rather to a woman. I don't recall her name. I seem to recall her saying you either weren't there that at the time or you were busy. She did tell me you were out of stock on new coils and weren't expecting any replacements for 3-4 weeks. Then she said "hang on a minute" and set the phone down. A few minutes later she came back to the phone and told me she had a used coil off of another customer's engine that had been returned to you and swapped out because this other customer claimed it was causing noise on their radio/intercom. The coil you sent me also shows signs in the rubber boots of deterioration from heat, like checking, etc. So, the coil you sent me was obviously run for a good while longer than the run in period on on whatever engine it was originally installed on from the factory. I still have that coil and it was still functional when I took it off and replaced it and the other failed original coil when the new ones arrived from Andy. In fact, it's still hanging on the wall in my hangar in a ziplock bag as a spare. I am reluctant to send it to anybody because my track record sending parts back to Jabiru dealers hasn't exactly produced the best of results. If you guys are located on an airport I could fly it up to your shop and let you take a look at it. BTW, that coil ran quiet as a mouse on my engine. My engine now has 118 hours on it and both the new coils I got from Andy are still installed. Based on this, I don't think it was heat that did in the original coils.

If you say she pulled the coil she sent me off of a crated engine that day, then I guess that's what she did and I can live with that. However, she told me the one she was sending was used and came off another customer's engine. Since that is what she said she was going to send I assumed that is what she did. My humble apologies if that is not the case. I suppose it's partly my fault for not asking you what you wanted for it, but I sure didn't expect to be charged full retail as if it were a brand new coil when it clearly had 20-30 hours on it, and maybe more. That is why I have referred to it up until now as a "used coil".

Support for Jabiru engines comes directly from the dealer who by contract is
required to handle these situations. Jabiru USA would be happy to handle it
for you.

At this point I don't know what there is left to handle. Both my coils were returned well over a year ago to the dealer from where I purchased my engine, along with the OP sensor. Actually, closer to a year and a half ago, but at this time that's a moot point. I don't need new coils or another OP sensor now that I've purchased replacements. It's pretty clear at this point I'm not going to get my money back from Jabiru. If there was some deal to replace these bad coils that were put on those engines produced in that time frame I sure haven't been told about it. Ditto the OP sensor. All indications thus far have been that Jabiru is not going to honor my warranty. I've done what I was asked to do. What else is left?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)

Europa N245E - Flying

See what's new="_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: JabiruEngine-List Digest: 2 Msgs - 09/30/07 Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/1/2007 8:07:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:

At this point I don't know what there is left to handle. Both my coils were returned well over a year ago to the dealer from where I purchased my engine, along with the OP sensor. Actually, closer to a year and a half ago, but at this time that's a moot point. I don't need new coils or another OP sensor now that I've purchased replacements. It's pretty clear at this point I'm not going to get my money back from Jabiru. If there was some deal to replace these bad coils that were put on those engines produced in that time frame I sure haven't been told about it. Ditto the OP sensor. All indications thus far have been that Jabiru is not going to honor my warranty. I've done what I was asked to do. What else is left?

Perhaps silence?

Your point was that you got lousy service from Jabiru. I would not draw the same conclusion based on what was written. True, there might have been some fumbles, but it certainly seems that USAJabiru bent over backwards by sending you a working coil, used or not. They have offered to replace that "used one" with free new ones.

What more can Jabiru do? If you get wantever it is that you want (at this point I dont know what you want) would you then say "Jabiru honored its warrantee"? If you would maintain your current view, why should they bother?

I am reminded of a sign hanging in the parts department of a dealership,
" If we give you the part free, have the salesman shot, have the manager castrated and give you a million dollars, would you be happy?"

I do appreciate your lengthy explanationof what happened from your point of view. I suppose my above remarks will not make you happy. I am just hoping you can hear that your point of view seems unresolveable. Experimental aircraft do have a way of being dramatically frustrating. We all feel that.

Doug Koenigsberg

See " target="_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: