Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh, damn, it's those boring coils again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Oh, damn, it's those boring coils again Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/5/2007 2:59:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:

John, you good old "high time" pilot,

You know, you're really a bore. We know where you stand and we've seen
the service you could have received. Thank goodness my e-mail has a
'delete sender' setting.

Have a wonderful day yourself, John.

jeff small HDS/3300

Hello Jeff,

I'm sorry you find Jabiru's failure to honor their warranty and in flight ignition failures such a bore, man! But, I am glad you are familiar with your delete key, but you might want to read the next paragraph before you use it, though.

At the risk of boring you further, Jeff, I've had a response from the coil pictures I posted on the Yahoo Jabiru forum and at least one person has chimed in to say that my engine appears to have had the "Leading GX" coils. So, even though the serial number on my engine is 220 higher than the last engine that, according to Jabiru factory documentation, was supposed to be shipped with these known bad coils, mine was indeed shipped from the factory "Leading GX" ignition coils that were known to have high failure rates. This is so boring!

Maybe your engine has them too, Jeff? Did you ever consider that? Might want to take a peek before the next time you go fly, man! Unless, of course, you are into "arboreal adventures".

You have yourself a wonderful day too, Jeff!

Once again, if anyone reading this is considering a Jabiru, let the buyer beware! It is now apparent that Jabiru knowingly shipped my engine with coils that they knew were bad, 220 engines after they were supposed to have discontinued use of the "Leading GX" coils. This is also after they apparently told some French and UK Jab owners about it and told them to discontinue use of these coils immediately 220 engines later, folks. Stunning. I suppose this is why Jabiru has been so quiet about my warranty claim.

Oh well, I guess I should be happy that I was just able to "live" with it.......right Jeff?

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
Europa N245E - Flying

See what's n="_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
matronics(at)rtist.nl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Oh, damn, it's those boring coils again Reply with quote

John,

I have not been able to find the pictures you took of the coils you have,
but if you had "Leading GX" coils you would have known for sure. Those coils
have this exact text stamped on the coils themselves. Check out Gille's
website for his story on coils, or look at this picture:
http://contrails.free.fr/images/moy_DSCF2368.png

There's no way you would be able to miss this if you were looking for a
clue, so I'm quite confident that yours are not Leading GX.

Rob

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Oh, damn, it's those boring coils again Reply with quote

John,

I offer three comments.

First, you may wish to use another literary tool to communicate your point other than sarcasm. As some one said, "subtlety is wasted on the stupid!" Some people find it a trudge to sift through sarcasm. We know you are angry about things, no need to try to hide it.

Second, some of us know from experience that the failure of one side of a Jab dual ignition is a non-event. Of course if BOTH ignitions decide to fail at the same time, the silence is a great cause for concern! What I have noticed is that people who suffer some kind of ignition problem, like the distributor rotor failures, which leads to a rough engine, are loath to shut off the offending half of the system. As we all know, if you happen to forget to switch both mags on, you cannot tell it on a Jabiru. But they wont shut either side of the ignition off to see if they can get a smooth engine.

Third, while " Leading GX" coils may have suffered a high failure rate, I doubt if it was 100%. My service experience with electrical components, including several types of coils, is that if they are going to fail, they typically do it early in their service life. If I had the coils, I would certainly consider changing them one at a time,  but if I had more than 100 hours on my engine, I would be in no hurry.

FWIW

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 10/5/2007 8:31:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Hello Jeff,

I'm sorry you find Jabiru's failure to honor their warranty and in flight ignition failures such a bore, man! But, I am glad you are familiar with your delete key, but you might want to read the next paragraph before you use it, though.

At the risk of boring you further, Jeff, I've had a response from the coil pictures I posted on the Yahoo Jabiru forum and at least one person has chimed in to say that my engine appears to have had the "Leading GX" coils. So, even though the serial number on my engine is 220 higher than the last engine that, according to Jabiru factory documentation, was supposed to be shipped with these known bad coils, mine was indeed shipped from the factory "Leading GX" ignition coils that were known to have high failure rates. This is so boring!

Maybe your engine has them too, Jeff? Did you ever consider that? Might want to take a peek before the next time you go fly, man! Unless, of course, you are into "arboreal adventures".

You have yourself a wonderful day too, Jeff!

Once again, if anyone reading this is considering a Jabiru, let the buyer beware! It is now apparent that Jabiru knowingly shipped my engine with coils that they knew were bad, 220 engines after they were supposed to have discontinued use of the "Leading GX" coils. This is also after they apparently told some French and UK Jab owners about it and told them to discontinue use of these coils immediately 220 engines later, folks. Stunning. I suppose this is why Jabiru has been so quiet about my warranty claim.

Oh well, I guess I should be happy that I was just able to "live" with it.......right Jeff?

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
Europa N245E - Flying

See what's new="_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Oh, damn, it's those boring coils again Reply with quote

Rob, I've had my 3300 for about the correct time for the offending coils to have been installed on my engine. The photo you have attached, is that the "bad" coil ? Does anyone have a photo of the replacement "good" coil ? Thanks in advance and to John KEEP UP YOUR NOISE !! I appreciate any man who is pissed about a slight and does not just shrug it off. We attorneys make our living from just such issues, especially when the widow come into the office and wants justice. Best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

andy(at)suncoastjabiru.co

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Oh, damn, it's those boring coils again Reply with quote

Hi John and Listers,

There’s no doubt in my mind that the coils supplied by us and others to John after his problems were NOT the Leading GX types, but as he says, the ones he got did appear to have a slightly different pattern than the later ones. The Leading GX coils issue, was covered well and in warranty for all those US customers who had them. However, there was a problem for Jabiru in getting enough replacements, and fast, so those with the (possibly) faulty coils weren’t grounded for long. Honestly? I really don’t know whether Jabiru had a couple of different coil suppliers to deal with the shortage issue, but it wouldn’t surprise me, and it would explain the ‘different size’ thing John reported. I offer this as an educated guess, not fact. We haven’t seen issues before or since the ‘Leading GX’ problem which could be traced to either a batch or generic issue, so any failed coils (and there have been a few across hundreds of engines) have been handled by dealers as best as possible. Most of the coil failures have occurred due to over-temperature operation, which is why it’s sometimes difficult to ‘prove’ to Jabiru that a coil has failed in some other mode. I’m certainly not saying John overheated his coils, just that at the time, I couldn’t get Jabiru to agree to replacement. Like it or not, such decisions are subjective with this sort of problem. I’ve told John I would try again to get the warranty claim upheld and I admit the delay in pushing it with Jabiru. I’m hopeful of a positive result very soon.

Andy Silvester
Suncoast Sportplanes, Inc.
39248 South Ave, Zephyrhills, FL 33542
Tel: (813) 779 2324 Fax: (813) 779 2246
www.suncoastjabiru.com

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: