Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV8-Instrument Panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Fellow RV-8 builders, I to am at the panel layout planning stage for my 8A. Is there a site somewhere with just RV-8 instrument panel layouts ? Or a site with a bunch of panel photos for 8s that would be helpful ? Just unpacked my finish and FWF kits last night and can see the the light. Christmas in October ! Hope to hear from you all. Best regards, Bill of Georgia
do not archive

--

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
algrajek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

There is a free website where you can actually design your panel for free.
The trouble is I cant remember what it is! Try searching the RV List
archives. Also Go to vans Air Force.net and chek it out. They have a section
of panel pictures.
Al Grajek
RV8
Lexington, Ky
[quote]From: japhillipsga(at)aol.com
Reply-To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV8-Instrument Panel
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:43:14 -0400

Fellow RV-8 builders, I to am at the panel layout planning stage for my 8A.
Is there a site somewhere with just RV-8 instrument panel layouts ? Or a
site with a bunch of panel photos for 8s that would be helpful ? Just
unpacked my finish and FWF kits last night and can see the the light.
Christmas in October ! Hope to hear from you all. Best regards, Bill of
Georgia
do not archive

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Al, Thanks, Bill
do not archive

--

n747jg(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Bill, 
My recommendation is to use your instrument panel from the kit as a template, and make a full size drawing on cardboard.   Use Van’s parts to draw in the flange areas of the supports that will be overlapping behind the panel.   These are areas that you have to avoid when laying out locations for your instruments.    You also will have to leave clearance  for brackets to support your radio stack, GPS, etc.   And maybe most importantly of all, the ‘z’ bar support behind the panel has to be dealt with, long items like radios and transponders must be oriented in your panel to miss the ‘z’ bar.  I'm assuming the -8A has the same situation as my -8.
Decide what you think you want in your panel and make cardboard cutouts the exact dimensions of each, and start moving them around.   Think about how you fly, and how comfortable and accessible each switch is, as you are flying.   
And that brings me to my pet peeve,  and this will probably draw the ire of several builders, but the RV-8 essentially is designed as any center line military airplane would be designed, the stick is in the right hand and the throttle is in the left.   As a result, the free hand is the left hand.  Military designers try to lay out switches so the right hand NEVER has to leave the stick during periods of high work load.  
In my humble opinion, the biggest mistake builders make in a tandem airplane panel layout, is trying to go back to their roots, i.e. Cessna/ Piper, with the radio stack on the right side of the pilot.   But in an RV-8, this is just the opposite of what you want.   You fly with your right hand, so the instruments that require the most tending should be located on the left side.   On an airplane as simple as an RV-8, there aren’t many items that require much attention,  comm radio, flap switch, and the intercom are the big ones that should be located on the left.   You don’t want to be switching hands from right to left every time you need to change a frequency or adjust the squelch on the intercom during the take off roll.  
Panel space is an issue, and everything can’t go on the left side.   I put the GPS on the right, and my autopilot.   Items that I hope to be using while I’m cruising, and not during times of high workload.  

Hope that helps,
Jim 
n747jg(at)earthlink.net (n747jg(at)earthlink.net)

do not archive

On Oct 18, 2007, at 9:43 AM, japhillipsga(at)aol.com (japhillipsga(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote]Fellow RV-8 builders, I to am at the panel layout planning stage for my 8A. Is there a site somewhere with just RV-8 instrument panel layouts ? Or a site with a bunch of panel photos for 8s that would be helpful ? Just unpacked my finish and FWF kits last night and can see the the light. Christmas in October ! Hope to hear from you all. Best regards, Bill of Georgia
do not archive

--

lynch66(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

www.epanelbuilder.com
Chris,
RV8 builder (N181CL)
Nashua, NH
[quote]From: "Al Grajek" <algrajek(at)msn.com>
Subject: RE: Re: RV8-Instrument Panel
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:19:47 -0400

There is a free website where you can actually design your panel for free.
The trouble is I cant remember what it is! Try searching the RV List
archives. Also Go to vans Air Force.net and chek it out. They have a
section of panel pictures.
Al Grajek
RV8
Lexington, Ky
>From: japhillipsga(at)aol.com
>Reply-To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
>To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
>Subject: Re: RV8-Instrument Panel
>Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:43:14 -0400
>
>Fellow RV-8 builders, I to am at the panel layout planning stage for my
>8A. Is there a site somewhere with just RV-8 instrument panel layouts ? Or
>a site with a bunch of panel photos for 8s that would be helpful ? Just
>unpacked my finish and FWF kits last night and can see the the light.
>Christmas in October ! Hope to hear from you all. Best regards, Bill of
>Georgia
>do not archive
>
>--

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Jim, thanks for the help. I agree with the process you described. It is similar to the way I set up my 601 XL panel a couple years back. On my 8a though I plan to use a Dyon 180 and place it center line which does not leave much room either left or right. That is why I wanted to see photos of how all the other fellows set theirs' up. Do you know anybody with an 8 that's flying the Dyon 180 unit ? I don't think the 8a has the "Z" bar you mentioned, at least I didn't install one. More dammed stuff I missed ?? Ha. Best regards, Bill of Georgia
do not archive

--

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Chris, thanks for the information, Bill
Do not archive

--

gcomfo(at)tc3net.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

[quote]
--

Terry Watson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

I will try to attach a pdf file of version #79 (really) of the instrument panel for my RV-8A. The reason for the relatively blank space on the right is that the CPU for the BlueMountain EFIS/one sits behind the panel and limits the depth there. This also gets all the radios and virtually all of the in-flight switches and controls over near the throttle quadrant for my left hand. The angle of attack indicator mounts in a composite enclosure on top of the instrument panel. I have 2-1/4” asi, altimeter, vsi and TruTrak’s pictorial pilot 2 on the left side of the EFIS. Note that even though the EFIS is quite a bit off-center, the attitude and heading indicator parts of the screen are less than 2” from the centerline.

Criticisms welcome, but be nice. I can always do versions #80 and up, right up until I start cutting the final one.

Terry
RV-8A wiring
Seattle

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Gordon or Marge
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:03 PM
Subject: RE: Re: RV8-Instrument Panel

[quote]
--

Panel79-2.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Panel79-2.pdf
 Filesize:  206.89 KB
 Downloaded:  557 Time(s)

DONKEYVET(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Bill of Georgia,

John Rotunda of Kit-panels.com built my panel and he did really nice work. Great guy, honest, friendly and reasonable. Go to his website and check it out. He'll help you disign one if you don't like his offerings.

Dennis of Texas

See w [quote][b]

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Terry, thanks for the drawing, looks like you have put a lot of thought and things forward. Do you have any concerns about bumping toggle switches at bottom of panel with feet, pants cuffs and such, getting in or out ? I know on my 601 XL panel the stand in the seat, squat and thrust feet forward maneuver needed to get in and seated makes having clearance an issue. Having never been in an 8, other than setting in my own making motor noises, I'm not sure I won't want some of the lesser used items over on the right console. I also dislike switching hands off the stick and the need to do so almost always is at a time I need most positive control. Is the Blue Mountain EFIS about the same size as the Dyon 180 ? I am wondering if I need all the back up steam gages? Why do you have them planned? Are they mandatory?  Lastly, I did not notice a compass. Is it mounted on top ? Thanks again and best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Dennis, thanks, I'll take a look see. BofG
do noat archive

--

Terry Watson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Bill,
Your point about bumping the toggle switches at the bottom of the panel is a good one. I discovered that problem while climbing in and out of the cockpit with an earlier version. It will be pretty easy to protect the switches, but I haven’t resolved just how to do it yet.

My guess is that the Blue Mountain EFIS/one screen is bigger than the Dynon. It’s a 10.4” display, surrounded by a bezel with switches on the wrong (right) side.

The reason I have all the steam gauges is that I didn’t trust the EFIS/one. I have been building this project for a long time and bought one of the very early Blue Mountain designs. Glass cockpits have pretty much proven themselves since then, but I still liked the idea of having the essential steam gauges if the EFIS went south. I now think it is overdone, especially with the track record of companies like Dynon and most especially if it is a VFR only airplane.

The compass is going to have to go on top of the glare shield. I couldn’t find a place in the panel that would work.

Terry

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of japhillipsga(at)aol.com
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: Re: RV8-Instrument Panel

Terry, thanks for the drawing, looks like you have put a lot of thought and things forward. Do you have any concerns about bumping toggle switches at bottom of panel with feet, pants cuffs and such, getting in or out ? I know on my 601 XL panel the stand in the seat, squat and thrust feet forward maneuver needed to get in and seated makes having clearance an issue. Having never been in an 8, other than setting in my own making motor noises, I'm not sure I won't want some of the lesser used items over on the right console. I also dislike switching hands off the stick and the need to do so almost always is at a time I need most positive control. Is the Blue Mountain EFIS about the same size as the Dyon 180 ? I am wondering if I need all the back up steam gages? Why do you have them planned? Are they mandatory? Lastly, I did not notice a compass. Is it mounted on top ? Thanks again and best regards, Bill of Georgia

[quote] [b]

gaillard.peck.ctr(at)nell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Switch guards might solve the problem of snagging.

Note the attached pix of MiG-21 (right console panel) and MiG-23 second
email due to size of jpg file(to the right of the red marked switch).

Little U shaped guards riveted either side of the switch permit finger
access but generally guard against snagging, as in when climbing in and
out.

Gail Peck
USAF Weapons School
RV-8 Builder (new guy - tail almost done)

--

MiG21.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.16 KB
 Viewed:  714 Time(s)

MiG21.jpg

lynch66(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Bill,
Take a look at the switch guards offered here;
http://www.periheliondesign.com/switchguards.htm
Chris
[quote]From: japhillipsga(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: RV8-Instrument Panel
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:03:23 -0400

Terry, thanks for the drawing, looks like you have put a lot of thought and
things forward. Do you have any concerns about bumping toggle switches at
bottom of panel with feet, pants cuffs and such, getting in or out ? I
know on my 601 XL panel the stand in the seat, squat and thrust feet
forward maneuver needed to get in and seated makes having clearance an
issue. Having never been in an 8, other than setting in my own making motor
noises, I'm not sure I won't want some of the lesser used items over on the
right console. I also dislike switching hands off the stick and the need to
do so almost always is at a time I need most positive control. Is the Blue
Mountain EFIS about the same size as the Dyon 180 ? I am wondering if I
need all the back up steam gages? Why do you have them planned? Are they
mandatory?  Lastly, I did not notice a compass. Is it mounted on top ?
Thanks again and best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: RV8-Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Chris, thanks for the link. I may use them. They appear well made, Bill
do not archive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: