Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forward Rivets on F-1040 and F-1041

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.mcgann(at)baesystems.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Forward Rivets on F-1040 and F-1041 Reply with quote

Further to Rene's post below, can anyone advise how much material needs to be removed from the F-1001M angle so that these rivets can be set?  A photo showing the modified angle would be really useful. 
Rick and Niko, I think we are at about the same build point.  If you have finished riveting the 1040s, how much of this angle did you remove?
thanks in advance,
Ron
--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Rick S.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Forward Rivets on F-1040 and F-1041 Reply with quote

Ron,

I removed enough to be able to drill and rivet the the forward holes. I came up about an 1" and cut in making a triangle cut leaving about an 1/8" at the bottom near the hole. I checked with my fellow Vegas builder who is about two weeks ahead and he said it was OK to do this and he had saved it from the archives but alas I never seem to save the right ones. My cuts look just like a 60/30 triangle and I removed the material a little at a time until I could get the hole drilled, I then had to take off a tad more to get the rivet set on the rivet. I used a mini scotch wheel to polish it up when done.   

One other thing, the plans tell you to countersink the various parts for "the head of a -3 rivet" Well.....my first impression was BS...you need to CS for a -3 dimple in the side skins..Always trust your first response. I had to drill out about 5 rivets to remove the left 1070 skin when I found the dimples sitting high on the longeron. I was watching for it so I only had a few rivets set. Further inspection showed all the clecoed holes also sitting high. Darn, I knew that instruction was wrong but I went with it anyway. Off come the skins and re-countersink all the holes for the dimple, not the rivet. I hope it saves you some time not having to take your skins off again to countersink. My luck some already mentioned this and I missed it just like the dimples in the seat ribs.

Rick S.
Fuselage

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ron.mcgann(at)baesystems.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Forward Rivets on F-1040 and F-1041 Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, sounds identical to what I had planned.  I did notice that the plans called out countersinking the longerons for the head of a rivet, rather than a dimple.  Countersunk for a dimple anyway - a pretty obvious error in the plans.  Overall, the fuse plans are pretty average compared to the emp and wings.  With drilling the WD-1002/3 weldments, forming the skins, bending the longerons, dimpling the installed seat ribs and now those forward rivets, Section 29 has been a mongrel for me.  I'll be glad when I finish this bit! 

cheers,
Ron

do not archive

--

Rick S.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Forward Rivets on F-1040 and F-1041 Reply with quote

Ron,

I totally understand section 29, something you quickbuild guys missed out on!!!

When you get to past this point....it's alll  worth it. Riveting the skins has been fun so far and since it's such a large part there is immediate gratification...then you can sit in it and make ....well you know, airplane noises, not that I've done that or anything.

Rick S.
Fuselage

do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: