Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allegro 80 HP Woodcomp Pitch setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcmoses(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Allegro 80 HP Woodcomp Pitch setting Reply with quote

What would be a good pitch setting for climb on an Allegro with the 80 HP Rotax and the Woodcomp prop? The previously reccomended pitch of 23.5 degrees at 7.875" from the tip seems like it is way too much.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
hgmckay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Allegro 80 HP Woodcomp Pitch setting Reply with quote

Tim:
I agree, the 23.5 degrees is too much. I went through a series of emails on the rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com (rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com) back in October 2006 on this same subject. Go to that forum and look at the archived emails on the subject. I finally settled at 15 degrees which gave me 5100 rpm (static). If you ask Fantasy Air USA (Matt Smith) he will tell you they set all their props at 14 degrees. You will get various opinions on this subject, but 23.5 degres is certainly too much, and I believe every one will agree on that. At least I hope so!!

Hugh McKay in NC
Allegro 2000
Rotax 912 UL
WoodComp Three Blade (Klassic 160/3/R
N661WW
Quote:
-------------- Original message from "TIM MOSES" <tcmoses(at)earthlink.net>: --------------

What would be a good pitch setting for climb on an Allegro with the 80 HP Rotax and the Woodcomp prop? The previously reccomended pitch of 23.5 degrees at 7.875" from the tip seems like it is way too much.
Quote:

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tcmoses(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Allegro 80 HP Woodcomp Pitch setting Reply with quote

Hugh,
I just got an email from the Australian Allegro/Woodcomp dealer and he said that the blade pitch is measured at "1/3 of the blade length from the tip". I thought it was customary to use the 75% blade span (ie. 1/4 of the blade length from the tip). So my question is what distance is this 14 or 15 degrees measured at?

The following is the adjustment message I recieved from Michael Coats:

setting up the propeller is no big deal but it must be done properly.
forget the recommendations above, there is only one way to set the
propeller and the instructions follow. Please note I am the Woodcomp
certified service centre from Australia and New Zealand so I can tell
you with certainty that the following information is correct.

The correct distance the setting the blade measurement with just about
every propeller ever manufactured is ***one third*** of the blade length in
from the blade tip. You will see in the attached photographs I have
made a very small T square which on the propeller I am using is 180 mm
long, yours will be similar.

In a pictures shown I am using a warp drive propeller protract which is
probably the most common unit out there, is extremely cheap (approximate
we $20) and will last a lifetime of normal use provided you don't drop
it and break it.

Step one, make sure the propeller blade is horizontal, if it is not
horizontal get it is close to horizontal is you can and using a piece of
wood or a broomstick or something like that marked the distance from the
propeller leading edge to the ground and make sure that all of the other
adjustments are made in this exact same position otherwise you will get
varying blade angles. So firstly to set the propeller horizontal and
then using the little T square position the propeller protract one third
of the way up the propeller and take your adjustment. We mainly have
cruise settings on our propeller and these follow below....

80hp 18 degrees

100 hp 21 degrees

If you want to get a bit more climb performance out of it I would
suggest initially going approximately 1 1/2 degrees finer pitch, so for
example on the 80 hp engine I would start at about 16.5° or thereabouts
than it is a simple matter of adjusting each of the three blades on the
propeller to get them all identical. Tighten up all the bolts and
recheck after everything has been tightened just to make sure that
nothing has moved. You can leave the propeller spinner off if you wish
and go for a fly making sure that the performance and blade angles suit
your needs. If you find your engine is over revving or you are using
too many revs to your desired cruise speed simply course in the
propeller up so go from 16.5° to approximately 17.5° and so on.

On most of these propellers 1° of blade movement makes approximately 200
rpm difference as a general rule of thumb so if your aircraft is
readying 400 rpm too high then you can make a adjustment of 2° to bring
it back to the desired rpm. Please let me know if you have any
additional questions, kind regards Michael

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent
sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your
e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

--
With regards, Michael Coates
Company Director X-Air Australia
Gold Coast, Australia.

Tim
[quote] ---

hgmckay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Allegro 80 HP Woodcomp Pitch setting Reply with quote

Tim:

Who am I to question the Australian Authorized WoodComp Service Center! It is interesting however to note that the Woodcomp Manual (at least the one I have) shows that the pitch angle should be measured 60 mm from the blade tip. For a 1600 mm diameter propeller (800 mm blade length from center of hub) this is 92.5% of the blade length. The little diagram shows that the blade pitch at this point can vary from 6 degrees to 17 degrees. All this is meaningless! Remember, the blade twist changes through out the length of the blade. I do not know why most prop manufacturers use the 75% length, and neither do I know why Mr. Coats uses 60% of the blade length (i.e 30% in from the blade tip). His procedure for setting the pitch is correct and I fully agree with it, but why 30% in from the tip vs. 25% in , I haven't a clue! Use either one, and then do your static test runs and adjust the pitch to get the max static rpm you desire without exceeding the Rotax limit.

I do know this, you will have to choose what pitch you want for the engine performance you desire. Pitch angle is a trade off between high performance on climb out vs. most efficient cruise speed in horizontal flight. You will have to decide what you want, and set the pitch, do the static tests, and then fly the plane and find out if it performs the way you want it to. In the air check the cruise rpm at WOT. Hopefully you will be around 5500 rpm at WOT. If not come back, land and adjust the prop pitch accordingly (lower pitch angle = better climb out performance, higher pitch angle = better rpm cruise speed.

I will note that I had a difficult time adjusting the pitch on my Allegro (I used the same method Mr. Coats described with the prop on the airplane). The blades would not rotate smoothly in the hub with the bolts loosened. They would slip and seize making it very difficult to get the bubble in the Warp drive protractor exactly in the middle. Hope you don't have the same dificulty. I would love to have a jig to do this on a level table rather than on the plane. Good Luck.

Hugh McKay
[quote]-------------- Original message from "TIM MOSES" <tcmoses(at)earthlink.net>: --------------

Hugh,
I just got an email from the Australian Allegro/Woodcomp dealer and he said that the blade pitch is measured at "1/3 of the blade length from the tip". I thought it was customary to use the 75% blade span (ie. 1/4 of the blade length from the tip). So my question is what distance is this 14 or 15 degrees measured at?

The following is the adjustment message I recieved from Michael Coats:

setting up the propeller is no big deal but it must be done properly.
forget the recommendations above, there is only one way to set the
propeller and the instructions follow. Please note I am the Woodcomp
certified service centre from Australia and New Zealand so I can tell
you with certainty that the following information is correct.

The correct distance the setting the blade measurement with just about
every propeller ever manufactured is ***one third*** of the blade length in
from the blade tip. You will see in the attached photographs I have
made a very small T square which on the propeller I am using is 180 mm
long, yours will be similar.

In a pictures shown I am using a warp drive propeller protract which is
probably the most common unit out there, is extremely cheap (approximate
we $20) and will last a lifetime of normal use provided you don't drop
it and break it.

Step one, make sure th e prop eller blade is horizontal, if it is not
horizontal get it is close to horizontal is you can and using a piece of
wood or a broomstick or something like that marked the distance from the
propeller leading edge to the ground and make sure that all of the other
adjustments are made in this exact same position otherwise you will get
varying blade angles. So firstly to set the propeller horizontal and
then using the little T square position the propeller protract one third
of the way up the propeller and take your adjustment. We mainly have
cruise settings on our propeller and these follow below....

80hp 18 degrees

100 hp 21 degrees

If you want to get a bit more climb performance out of it I would
suggest initially going approximately 1 1/2 degrees finer pitch, so for
example on the 80 hp engine I would start at about 16.5° or thereabouts
than it is a simple matter of adjusting each of the three bl ades o rtain Tim
[quote] ---

tcmoses(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Allegro 80 HP Woodcomp Pitch setting Reply with quote

Hugh,
I saw the Woodcomp adjustment instructions (mine said 50mm) and was also surprised with their adjustment instructions. It looks like this adjustment is not going to be a one shot deal. Also in practice the 16.2 ft/lbs of torque recommended by the Woodcomp manual on the M8 bolts closes the hub gap completely and seems excessive.
Tim
[quote] ---

hgmckay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Allegro 80 HP Woodcomp Pitch setting Reply with quote

Tim:

You are right, the adjustment will not be a one shot deal, unless you are very lucky. My prop adjustments were three in number. I started out with 17.5 degrees which gave me 4600 rpm (Static) at WOT. The second adjustment was 16.5 degrees which gave me 4900 rpm (static) at WOT. The third adjustment was 15 degrees, which gave me 5100 rpm (static) at WOT. That is where I chose to leave it. My choice. Don't forget to track your prop before the static tests.

Hugh McKay
[quote]-------------- Original message from "TIM MOSES" <tcmoses(at)earthlink.net>: --------------

Hugh,
I saw the Woodcomp adjustment instructions (mine said 50mm) and was also surprised with their adjustment instructions. It looks like this adjustment is not going to be a one shot deal. Also in practice the 16.2 ft/lbs of torque recommended by the Woodcomp manual on the M8 bolts closes the hub gap completely and seems excessive.
Tim
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: