Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear Legs retrofit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin02(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Gear Legs retrofit Reply with quote

Craymon wrote:
And as far as your landing gear legs, when my original gear legs snapped off landing on a grass strip and I ordered a new pair from Glasair, one leg was so soft the left wing almost touched the ground.

I too upgraded my original TD gear legs to the beefier Glasair II gear legs. I did not have any problems with the installation and the new gear performs well. Both legs were of equal thickness and flex. I was able to upgrade the gross weight to 1900 lbs with the retrofit. My original right gear leg did break but held up all the way to the hanger. I do not think it was an engineering problem that caused the failure. It was continuously landing above the 1500 lb max landing weight of the original gear that overstressed it. RObin Young 286YM.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Gear Legs retrofit Reply with quote

My first set of mains were good, the problem was that the bolts were too small and ripped out. Stoddard Hamilton corrected that. The second set of mains was from poor manufacturing. Somebody once said to Van's of Van's RV kits; "I can't understand why your kits are so inexpensive!" Van shot back with; "I can't understand why everyone elses are so expensive!" Dale Carnegie was a fanatic about finding ways to lower the cost of steel and when he succeeded high rise buildings shot up over night because of low cost steel. There are ways to lower costs and increase business. I know the day will come when a composite kit producer will use pre preg and stamp out parts that will be cured in heated inexpensive ceramic molds. I would tackle that myself if I was thirty years younger. The day that happens, composite aircraft costs will come crashing down and will cost less to build than aluminum.
I have parts machined by the man that once handled the IBM prototype and development Division of IBM in New York State. He instructs at an A&P school in Bridgeport Connecticut and he can do anything.

Check out AOL Money & Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jeffs(at)ostari.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Gear Legs retrofit Reply with quote

Dear craymondw,

I would like to thank you for your prolific posts. I eagerly await every entry. I have been working on and have been building two GIII’s for some time and feel compelled to provide you my thoughts and assistance as I near the first flight phase in my endeavors.

While the community of Glasair builders have not been particularly active in the newsgroups, your positive posts you are always there to provide comfort, support and encouragement. I feel it only just to offer my assistance in relieving you of the burden of owning this experimental airplane and returning you to the world of practical plane ownership from one of the many, many providers of commercially viable manufacturers of certified flying machines available today. I offer to you, my assistance, at no charge, in finding a buyer for the inferior product that has obviously been misrepresented in it’s value proposition and the company behind it. This should free up considerable time for you and relieve you of those pesky little problems thus increasing your quality of life ( and clearly demonstrating my willingness to give selflessly ).

For this I have but one simple request. When you are able, please forward the winning lottery numbers ( California only ) and a magic carpet ( okay, so it’s a two part-er ). I have 29 dollars to spend and am sure that that should provide more than adequate compensation for profit as well as to provide for the long term liability coverage costs you might incur in what some must surely interpret as game fixing. Since you have access to everything this should not take much out of your day and would contribute immensely to my well being and certainly offset the price of fuel until we get back to 4 dollars a barrel. I promise to share with anyone who asks, the windfall from this.

I do not wish to take up the valuable time and energy ( not to mention the bandwidth considerations ) of our brethren so I am available off list at the information below to assist you in easing your transition and helping to provide a better quality experience for all mankind or at least the Glasair list.

I am certain that as you build and provide a new non profit airport free from the petty trappings of modern life we shall flock to the utopia that awaits us.

Respectfully yours,

Jeff Siebenhaar
jeffs(at)ostari.com (jeffs(at)ostari.com)
Hanger L-25
Reid-Hillview Airport
San Jose, CA.

From: owner-glasair-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-glasair-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Craymondw(at)aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 8:51 PM
To: glasair-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Gear Legs retrofit

My first set of mains were good, the problem was that the bolts were too small and ripped out. Stoddard Hamilton corrected that. The second set of mains was from poor manufacturing. Somebody once said to Van's of Van's RV kits; "I can't understand why your kits are so inexpensive!" Van shot back with; "I can't understand why everyone elses are so expensive!" Dale Carnegie was a fanatic about finding ways to lower the cost of steel and when he succeeded high rise buildings shot up over night because of low cost steel. There are ways to lower costs and increase business. I know the day will come when a composite kit producer will use pre preg and stamp out parts that will be cured in heated inexpensive ceramic molds. I would tackle that myself if I was thirty years younger. The day that happens, composite aircraft costs will come crashing down and will cost less to build than aluminum.

I have parts machined by the man that once handled the IBM prototype and development Division of IBM in New York State. He instructs at an A&P school in Bridgeport Connecticut and he can do anything.

Check out AOL Money & Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

darnpilot(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Gear Legs retrofit Reply with quote

"While the community of Glasair builders have not been particularly active in the newsgroups..."
Quote:

I wonder why this is so? I am a new Glasair III owner, having purchased a complete aircraft. I am very interested in the airplane and hearing/reading the stories and input from others who enjoy this fine aircraft.

Thus far I have been very impressed with the support for Glasairaviation. I am a bit concerned, however, that the interest in this airplane is on the wane. Do others have this same impression?

Since this Gasair line first came out, I have been enamored with the looks and performance. For my tastes, the GIII was (and still is) the prettiest, best performing, and ideal all around personal airplane. I'm thrilled to have one, and now that I do, my first impressions have been reinforced. I hope that more builders/owners will participate as a community. Perhaps its the nature of the type of airplane that the GIII represents? The RV seems like its more common and its builder community more open, or at least it seems that way.

I am enjoying the airplane and look forward to improving and flying my GIII for years to come. I hope the New Glasairaviation succeeds and the population of Glasairs continues to grow.

Jeff
More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!
[quote][b]

deej(at)deej.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Gear Legs retrofit Reply with quote

darnpilot(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
"While the community of Glasair builders have not been particularly
active in the newsgroups..."

I wonder why this is so? I am a new Glasair III owner, having
purchased a complete aircraft. I am very interested in the airplane
and hearing/reading the stories and input from others who enjoy this
fine aircraft.

There is a lot more activity on the glasair.org lists than on this one.
I'd highly recommend joining the Glasair organization. I have received
lots of help from there over the years. (http://glasair.org/)

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill
Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118
http://deej.net/sportsman/

"Many things that are unexplainable happen during the construction of an
airplane." --Dave Prizio, 30 Aug 2005

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Gear Legs retrofit Reply with quote

Jeff,
The scuttle bug is that the New Glasair is more interested in the Glastar air craft. I don't think a company can offer two diverse aircraft and put the same effort into both. If the New Glasair does not in fact have the same interest in its high performance planes, I feel they should sell off the high performance line. Charlie Gray on Merrit Island Florida and Ken Johnson appear to have all the details for making Glasairs faster. If all proven modifications and cheaper manufacturing techniques where incorporated into a modified version of lets say, a Glasair 111S or a Glasair 2SSX, then maybe sales would pick up. But you have to also factor in the high cost of 100LL that may in the end, make the new Sport Aircraft running on auto fuel the only affordable way of getting into the air. I used to take twenty trips a year in my Glasair with some trips taking twenty hours using a little over $400 fuel. Now the fuel for those twenty hours runs well over a $1,000, ouch!! My airfield for instance use to have the hangers full of certified and experimental aircraft. Just walking around the field, it appears half hangers are now filled with Light Sport Aircraft. Kind of sad when you think of it, I feel like I am part of a dying and passing era in aviation.

[quote][b]

darnpilot(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Gear Legs retrofit Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. The folks you mentioned in Merritt Island, who are they - and do they have a company or contact information?

I know what you mean about gas, but compared to my Piper Lance, the Glasair III is so much more efficient...with the same engine...at least for flight only requiring me or one other person (90% of flights)

Jeff

--

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Gear Legs retrofit Reply with quote

I feel the Glasair 111 is a wonderful plane. Unfortuneatly it took the builders to work out all the bugs of the plane and not Stoddard Hamilton. I wish that I didn't let Stoddard Hamilton's test pilot talk me out of it. But nearly everyone I know that owns one has had landing gear problems. Poor Chuck Downing (NASA Gemini/Appollo engineer) had two gears collapse that resulted in engine tear downs within a short period of time. With the high price of 100LL I think high performance experimentals are going to go the way of Warbirds. Back in the mid 1950's I could have purchased a P-51 for less than $6,000 and had a Hell Cat for free.!! But in the late 1950's gasoline went through big price hikes and I couldn't afford the fuel. By the looks of things, high performance experimentals are going to be afforded by only rich doctors etc. and not the average Joe pilot. When 100LL hits $8.00/ $10.00 per gallon Joe pilot is instead going to have to settle on Light Sport Aircraft using auto fuel.

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: