Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam.marlow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

For those of you that have finishd building an RV of any type, can you shed some light on weather to assemble fully before or after painting?

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
carl.froehlich(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Recommend flying before painting. You will be amazed at the "little
changes" you will want to do the first year - most of which will mar your
nice paint job.

Assuming you will do the painting, recommend removing the wings to paint.
The gain in ease far outweighs the 3-4 of hours of work to pull the wings.

Carl Froehlich
RV-8A (250 hours)
RV-10 (tail)

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

zackrv8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Painting Reply with quote

sam.marlow wrote:
For those of you that have finishd building an RV of any type, can you shed some light on weather to assemble fully before or after painting?

I have to disagree with Carl. I would certainly paint the whole plane before flying. Here's my reason's...

First, if you paint it yourself or have someone else paint, it will be easier with the wings off. I highly recommend painting your wings with the wings off. You mount them vertically you can work on both sides at once. Also, bugs and dirt won't collect as easily as if the wings were horizontal. Then, if using a 2 stage paint process, it makes sanding the clearcoat easier.

Second, if you fly your plane and then decide to paint it, you will be without a plane for awhile. This will drive you crazy! All your buds flying but not you! You could go into "RV withdraw" symtoms.

Third, the only thing I noticed on my RV8 was paint chipping where the cowl meets the fuselage. I had too small a clearance and because of airloads and the hingepin wearing, that nice tight gap I had closed up and chipped the paint.

Just keep the distance from the cowl to the fuselage about the thickness of a hacksaw blade and you should be fine. As the hingepins wear, the gap will be enough not to chip your paint.

I can't see any other problems that would preclude you from painting before flying. Maybe Carl could elaborate more.

Zack

RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512
carl.froehlich(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

I fully agree with Zack that you paint with the wings and the empennage
removed.

For my RV-8A, there were advantages to wait on painting until after flying
and working out the bugs. Here are a few things that I changed between
flying and painting:

1. Small weeping rivet on the one gas tank. Not enough to drip, but enough
to really irritate you as it would leave a green streak on the skin. Easy
to fix when taking the wing off for painting. Yes - I did a leak check when
building but this problem did not present itself.
2. Resetting the angle of incident on the horizontal stabilizer. I ended
up adding a .040 shim under the forward stabilizer spar as I was getting too
much down force. The shim turned out to be just the right size, but it was
enough that the empennage fairing did not fit so it had to be redone.
3. Rigging (and re-rigging). Many small changes done to dial the plane in.
One required replacing the one aileron mounting bracket. Although not
required, I chose to glass in the wing tip, aileron, flap, rudder and
elevator end ribs. Doing this after all the rigging adjustments and trials,
I had confidence that I would not have to redo this work after painting.
4. Replacing the static air ports. I started out with a combination heated
pitot tube (both static and dynamic ports in the tube). This arrangement
yielded a 200' altitude error, and indicated speed dropping to zero at very
high angles of attack.
5. One major redo on the main gear wheel pants mounting - required reglass
work.
6. One major redo on the main gear leg fairings - required reglass work.

I flew the plane for two years before painting. I did however paint all
fiberglass pieces with PPG Concept single stage paint (not base coat/clear
coat) so that the plane looked halfway decent. This was a simple, "one coat
of blue in the garage" job but it looked fine.

Zack is absolutely right however that you will be tempted never to paint it
after flying. These planes are way fun!

Carl

--

randy(at)romeolima.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Quote:
sam.marlow wrote:
> For those of you that have finishd building an RV of any type, can you
> shed some light on weather to assemble fully before or after painting?
I have to disagree with Carl. I would certainly paint the whole plane
before flying. Here's my reason's...

First, if you paint it yourself or have someone else paint, it will be
easier with the wings off. I highly recommend painting your wings with
the wings off. You mount them vertically you can work on both sides at
once. Also, bugs and dirt won't collect as easily as if the wings were
horizontal. Then, if using a 2 stage paint process, it makes sanding the
clearcoat easier.

Second, if you fly your plane and then decide to paint it, you will be
without a plane for awhile. This will drive you crazy! All your buds
flying but not you! You could go into "RV withdraw" symtoms.

Third, the only thing I noticed on my RV8 was paint chipping where the
cowl meets the fuselage. I had too small a clearance and because of
airloads and the hingepin wearing, that nice tight gap I had closed up and
chipped the paint.

Just keep the distance from the cowl to the fuselage about the thickness
of a hacksaw blade and you should be fine. As the hingepins wear, the gap
will be enough not to chip your paint.

I can't see any other problems that would preclude you from painting
before flying. Maybe Carl could elaborate more.

Zack

I'm with Zack on all counts and plan to paint first in parts on my current
project (RV-3B) just like I did on my RV-8. Pay attention to what he says
about end clearance where fiberglass parts but up against something else.
Starting with 1/8" clearnace is a good rule of thumb because primer and
paint will decrease the final gap.

Randy Lervold

sam.marlow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Can the wing tips be installed before rigging the controls? How do you know where to position the fiberglass tip faring if the wings have never been installed, along with the ailerons and flaps? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for painting first, but have concerns about having to redo the fiberglass tips once installed on the airplane.
---- zackrv8 <zackrv8(at)verizon.net> wrote:
Quote:

sam.marlow wrote:
> For those of you that have finishd building an RV of any type, can you shed some light on weather to assemble fully before or after painting?

I have to disagree with Carl. I would certainly paint the whole plane before flying. Here's my reason's...

First, if you paint it yourself or have someone else paint, it will be easier with the wings off. I highly recommend painting your wings with the wings off. You mount them vertically you can work on both sides at once. Also, bugs and dirt won't collect as easily as if the wings were horizontal. Then, if using a 2 stage paint process, it makes sanding the clearcoat easier.

Second, if you fly your plane and then decide to paint it, you will be without a plane for awhile. This will drive you crazy! All your buds flying but not you! You could go into "RV withdraw" symtoms.

Third, the only thing I noticed on my RV8 was paint chipping where the cowl meets the fuselage. I had too small a clearance and because of airloads and the hingepin wearing, that nice tight gap I had closed up and chipped the paint.

Just keep the distance from the cowl to the fuselage about the thickness of a hacksaw blade and you should be fine. As the hingepins wear, the gap will be enough not to chip your paint.

I can't see any other problems that would preclude you from painting before flying. Maybe Carl could elaborate more.

Zack

--------
RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=15148#15148

zackrv8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Reply with quote

[quote="sam.marlow"]Can the wing tips be installed before rigging the controls? How do you know where to position the fiberglass tip faring if the wings have never been installed, along with the ailerons and flaps? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for painting first, but have concerns about having to redo the fiberglass tips once installed on the airplane.
[quote]
Sam,

The wingtip installation will easier with the wings are off the plane. Here's the reason....

By installing the wingtips when the wings are off makes the installation easier. You will be cussing enough working with fiberglass so why not make it easier? You can work on both sides of the wing tip easy. Plus, by mounting the wing vertically, the wingtip uses gravity to nest/hold it in positon and the sides won't sag.

Here's what I did. Have your wings in the cradle or some sort of jig mounted vertically, trailing edge sticking up. Now mount your flaps and ailerons and put them in the neutral position as called for in the plans. Now mount your wingtips. Align the trailing edge of the wingtips with the trailing edges of the flaps/ailerons. I used a very long straight edge and clamped it on my flaps/ailerons trailng edges and aligned the tips like that. There. Your done. No need to re-rig anything. Just hook up your control tubes after the wings are mounted. Done.

You might want to consider having removable wingtips. Ya never know what you want to put in there.

Work smarter, not harder.

Zack

RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512
sam.marlow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Thanks, good info, clears up a lot of questions!
[quote]

[quote="sam.marlow"]Can the wing tips be installed before rigging the controls? How do you know where to position the fiberglass tip faring if the wings have never been installed, along with the ailerons and flaps? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for painting first, but have concerns about having to redo the fiberglass tips once installed on the airplane.
---- zackrv8 wrote:
Quote:

Sam,

The wingtip installation will easier with the wings are off the plane. Here's the reason....

By installing the wingtips when the wings are off makes the installation easier. You will be cussing enough working with fiberglass so why not make it easier? You can work on both sides of the wing tip easy. Plus, by mounting the wing vertically, the wingtip uses gravity to nest/hold it in positon and the sides won't sag.

Here's what I did. Have your wings in the cradle or some sort of jig mounted vertically, trailing edge sticking up. Now mount your flaps and ailerons and put them in the neutral position as called for in the plans. Now mount your wingtips. Align the trailing edge of the wingtips with the trailing edges of the flaps/ailerons. I used a very long straight edge and clamped it on my flaps/ailerons trailng edges and aligned the tips like that. There. Your done. No need to re-rig anything. Just hook up your control tubes after the wings are mounted. Done.

You might want to consider having removable wingtips. Ya never know what you want to put in there.

Work smarter, not harder.

Zack

--------
RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=18220#18220

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: