Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrick.pulis(at)seagas.c

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me if they have installed the Vertical Stabiliser doubler which is being issued by Vans, and if there are any traps.  As yet us 'southerners' on Oz haven't received the doubler.
I have read the AD and am a little concerned about match drilling the doubler into the rear spar from the inside, most likely using the 90 degree drill, bearing in mind that the top rib will still be partly fixed in place.
Your experience would be appreciated please.
DO NOT ARCHIVE
PATRICK PULIS
Adelaide, South Australia

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rv6lynch(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

Look Dummy,Think!!!!!

Cleco the plate on the outside in the holes of the hinge. Drill the new holes, take apart, deburr, install on the inside and rivet. No big deal, a 30 minute job at most.

Bob
do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

Did it this weekend.  Match drilled with the plate from the outside, rivetd plate on the inside.  Also, only removed rivets from skin on one side, just enough to get the squeezer in to set the rivets.  Other than waiting for primer to dry, took a total of 30 minutes for me and my brother-in-law to do it.

Rene' Felker
Fuselage

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Patrick Pulis
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:59 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Involved

Can anyone please tell me if they have installed the Vertical Stabiliser doubler which is being issued by Vans, and if there are any traps.  As yet us 'southerners' on Oz haven't received the doubler.
I have read the AD and am a little concerned about match drilling the doubler into the rear spar from the inside, most likely using the 90 degree drill, bearing in mind that the top rib will still be partly fixed in place.
Your experience would be appreciated please.
DO NOT ARCHIVE
PATRICK PULIS
Adelaide, South Australia

bsponcil(at)belinblank.or

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. Other than the initial inertia of not wanting to drill out perfectly good rivets, it goes pretty smoothly. And, as others have pointed out, match drill from the outside. No need to make it harder on yourself.

-Brian

N211BD

[quote] ---

indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I hope you are on a very personal relationship with our brothers down under.
If not, I think it would be better to be nice.

In my opinion, I thought about doing exactly as you intend to do, use the
doubler as a guide on the outside and then install it on the inside. When
you think about it, this technically is not the correct way to do this
unless you have a device that can keep the drill bit perfectly perpendicular
to the spar web. Any deviation from perpendicular will result in the exit
hole on the inside of the spar web being in a slightly different location
from where the original hole is on the doubler.

It is all a matter of how anal you want to be and how sensitive you are to
doing thing not exactly the way they should be. I guess if one can keep the
drill perpendicular do it from the outside, if you are worried about that
and think that the right angle drill can get in there and do it better, do
it that way.

You could also drill all the undrilled holes with a 1/8(if it calls for
final size -4 rivets) and cleco as you go, using the doubler as the guide
on the outside and then final drill to size #30 with the doubler on the
inside with everything locked in place with the clecoes.

It is also about how sensitive one is to being called a DUMMY!

Excuse me if you guys are the best of friends.

In all respects, construction and emotions, it is about tolerance isn't it.

JG.

Do Not Archive
Quote:
Reply-To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification -
What's Involved
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 06:31:29 -0600

Look Dummy,Think!!!!!

Cleco the plate on the outside in the holes of the hinge. Drill the new
holes, take apart, deburr, install on the inside and rivet. No big deal, a
30 minute job at most.

Bob
do not archive

acs(at)acspropeller.com.a

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

How Rude!!
The last thing we want or need on this list is lots of bystanders, unable to contribute for fear of being shot down!
You might have forgotten, we not only build these machines ….. we also have to do it upside down!! J
John 40315 (RV Brothers in Oz)
Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert E. Lynch
Sent: Wednesday, 1 March 2006 10:31 PM
Subject: Re: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Involved

Look Dummy,Think!!!!!

Cleco the plate on the outside in the holes of the hinge. Drill the new holes, take apart, deburr, install on the inside and rivet. No big deal, a 30 minute job at most.

Bob

do not archive

ron.mcgann(at)baesystems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

From the archives, Bob has made a number of valuable contributions to RV lists over a number of years.  This response seems most out of character.  Perhaps he's just had a bad day.  (Maybe he dropped his VS after doing the repair.)
[quote] --

acs(at)acspropeller.com.a

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

Dropped it?
…..I use mine as a bat when I’m playing with the kids in the yard Wink

Do not archive.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of McGANN, Ron
Sent: Thursday, 2 March 2006 8:10 AM
Subject: RE: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Involved

From the archives, Bob has made a number of valuable contributions to RV lists over a number of years.  This response seems most out of character.  Perhaps he's just had a bad day.  (Maybe he dropped his VS after doing the repair.)
Quote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com]On Behalf Of John Dunne
Sent: Thursday, 2 March 2006 8:14 AM
Subject: RE: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Involved

How Rude!!
The last thing we want or need on this list is lots of bystanders, unable to contribute for fear of being shot down!
You might have forgotten, we not only build these machines ….. we also have to do it upside down!! J
John 40315 (RV Brothers in Oz)
Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert E. Lynch
Sent: Wednesday, 1 March 2006 10:31 PM
Subject: Re: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Involved

Look Dummy,Think!!!!!

Bob

do not archive

daveleikam(at)wi.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

I got my doubler about 2 weeks ago.  I had just started the rudder.  It took me about 2 hours to install the doubler in the VS.  No problems, very straight forward.  Maybe call Vans to get them to send yours out.

Dave Leikam

do not archive
[quote] ---

william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Rudder Hinge Bracket Doubler Modification - What's Inv Reply with quote

Pat, it's a no brainer.  I looked at mine for a few days before I just decided to tear it apart and get it done.  My VS was finished and it probably took the equivalent of 2 hours to do the SB start to finish.  As for match drilling the doubler it can be done.  I used the regular sioux palm drill (it was very tight) but a right angle drill would have been so much better.

Bill Britton
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: