Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VGs on the bottom of an 801 horizontal tail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keystone(at)gci.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: VGs on the bottom of an 801 horizontal tail Reply with quote

Rick
I installed VGs on the bottom of my short tail. I liked them so much I installed them on my new longer tail. I'm surprised more 801's don't have them, as easy as they are to install. It is a Saturday afternoon project.
I made mine out of scrap standard "L" 2 inches long with the front cut at a 45 degree angle. I installed them just in front of the main spar on the horizontal stabilizer. This kept them out of the rivets. I installed them on 4" centers on my short tail and I installed them on 3" centers on the new longer tail. I installed them with double sided tape that is 1/8" thick. I installed them at a 38 degree angle to the relative wind. They are probably larger than needed but I did not loose any cruse speed.
They made a significant improvement in the effectiveness of the elevator.
My next 3 hr project is to install some small VGs just in front of the trim tab to try to improve it's effectiveness.
Bill Wilcox
N801BW
Valdez, Alaska
228 hrs
Back from Vacation and getting ready to install Full Lotus floats
Hi list,
Have any 801 builders put vortex generators on the bottom of their horizontal
stabilator? If so, where did you place them? I am thinking they need to go as
close to the elevator as possible. I have the original 801 stabilator and want
to add some additional elevator authority. Any help would be appreciated.
Rick Campbell

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: