Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stick hits panel solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin1(at)mrmoisture.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Stick hits panel solution Reply with quote

Someone recently asked me how I resolved our Infinity grip mounted stick hitting the lower panel. My answer was I will know in two weeks. Well folks, finally something done ahead of schedule...
            The grips do hit the lower panel as we suspected. The sticks need to travel about 1/8" further than the panel allows. Additionally we would want some extra clearance for comfort. After spending some time accessing the situation we figured there were a couple of options at this point in the build.
            Option 1 modify the down travel on the elevator stop. From what we measured our current down travel is 25 degrees. To get the full set back needed we would have to take the travel down to ~19 degrees. This was less than 0.75 inches of travel on the Horizontal Stab and would have solved all the stick clearance issues. That being said Van specific a minimum of 20 degrees and as we are not re-engineering the aeronautical portion of this aircraft that modification was a no go even though I hope to never need full forward deflection.
            Option 2 turns out to be a simple fix. We pulled the stick out of the fuse and placed it in a hydraulic press to bend the curved section of the stick. There was very little bending required to provide the clearances needed and nothing aeronautical was modified. The change is unnoticeable from the pilots/co-pilot seated position.
            Option 3 is to plan ahead like Deems did and modify the stick BEFORE it is powder coated, grip fitted and wires run. Fortunately our adjustment did not put a single scratch on the stick and the entire correction took less than 90 minutes including making the wood jig to bend the sticks. (All times exclude head scratching)

Robin
RV-4               Sold
RV-6A            400 Hours
RV-10             Sooner or Later, Probably Later

[img]cid:image005.jpg(at)01C8A3D8.B3812D70[/img][img]cid:image006.jpg(at)01C8A3D8.B3812D70[/img]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

image005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.15 KB
 Viewed:  452 Time(s)

image005.jpg

image006.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.32 KB
 Viewed:  441 Time(s)

image006.jpg

scottmschmidt(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Stick hits panel solution Reply with quote

I had the same stick interference with my panel from Lancair. The Infinity grips are much taller and cause this problem.
I have posted this in the past but thought I would post again. I decided to cut my stick near the top of the curve. I then purchased the exact same steel and wall thickness only it was a larger diameter so it would slide over the stock stick. I can't remember the type of steel, I just called Van's and they knew exactly what it was.
Luckily one of the helicopter maintenance companies here at my airport has a certified tig welder and he charged me $40 to weld up both sticks. He did an amazing job.
I don't even notice that the stick is slightly angled but now it is clear of everything.

I don't think anyone should mess with the controls and limit them even though full down will probably never be used.
My fix took a couple hours once I had the right steel tubing.

I then had Flighline Interiors make me some real nice leather covers for the sticks.

Scott Schmidt
scottmschmidt(at)yahoo.com
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image005.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  340 Time(s)

image005.jpg

image006.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  342 Time(s)

image006.jpg

stick.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.91 KB
 Viewed:  377 Time(s)

stick.jpg

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Stick hits panel solution Reply with quote

Based on Scotts recommendation I did the same thing, except I used a smaller OD, thicker wall piece of stock and put it inside the tube and welded it. It is nice to have friends on the field that can weld……..

Rene' Felker
RV-10 N423CF Flying

801-721-6080
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott Schmidt
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:05 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Stick hits panel solution

I had the same stick interference with my panel from Lancair. The Infinity grips are much taller and cause this problem.
I have posted this in the past but thought I would post again. I decided to cut my stick near the top of the curve. I then purchased the exact same steel and wall thickness only it was a larger diameter so it would slide over the stock stick. I can't remember the type of steel, I just called Van's and they knew exactly what it was.
Luckily one of the helicopter maintenance companies here at my airport has a certified tig welder and he charged me $40 to weld up both sticks. He did an amazing job.
I don't even notice that the stick is slightly angled but now it is clear of everything.

I don't think anyone should mess with the controls and limit them even though full down will probably never be used.
My fix took a couple hours once I had the right steel tubing.

I then had Flighline Interiors make me some real nice leather covers for the sticks.

Scott Schmidt
scottmschmidt(at)yahoo.com

---

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  320 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  320 Time(s)

image002.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: