Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiggly Cotter pins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Wiggly Cotter pins Reply with quote

One of my four engine mount bolt cotter pins wiggles a bit - it is set like the other three.

I've re-done it a bunch of times - so either it is technique for this particular bolt...or there's something wrong with the setup. I'm using the same size pin for all four bolts. I'm really thinking it is my technique.

According to the 43.13 the head should fit snug - which I take to mean that they shouldn't wiggle. Conceptually, I think the wiggling could lead to friction erosion of the pin - with a potential for failure.

Maybe, I need to do this one using the other method for setting them - I've been trying to bend one leg over the top and the other down - I may try the 'anchor' method as shown in the 43.13.

Somebody tell me that I'm not out of my mind with my anal-retentiveness.....

Ralph Capen
RV6AQB Slider N822AR (at) N06
Knocking out the million little things.....

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
flyinwithme99(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Wiggly Cotter pins Reply with quote

Sorry Ralph, can't vouch for your sanity !!

If you really need this cotter pin to quit wiggling...try adding another washer under the nut to cause the bottom of the slot in the castle nut to be more in line with, or alittle higher than the hole drilled in the bolt.

I've seen that when the hole is alittle high in the slot of the castle nut, that it can be difficult to secure the cotter pin from wiggling....especially with the larger cotter pins.

Manny

"Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net> wrote:
[quote]--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen"

One of my four engine mount bolt cotter pins wiggles a bit - it is set like the other three.

I've re-done it a bunch of times - so either it is Be a better friend, newshound, and [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

javisteele(at)sympatico.c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Wiggly Cotter pins Reply with quote

Ralph. quit worrying. if the loose cotter pin is a bother put a drop of crazy glue on it. It wont wiggle and it will keep on doing its job/

JC
[quote] ---

dc71(at)netspace.net.au

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Wiggly Cotter pins Reply with quote

No - you're not out of your mind.

My LAME (Aussie terminology for A&P) said that my wiggly pins needed
to be fixed - either installing next size up, or using a dab of
silicone RTV (but not too much to obscure visibility)

Indran

On 24/04/2008, at 8:33 PM, Ralph E. Capen wrote:

Quote:

>

One of my four engine mount bolt cotter pins wiggles a bit - it is
set like the other three.

I've re-done it a bunch of times - so either it is technique for
this particular bolt...or there's something wrong with the setup.
I'm using the same size pin for all four bolts. I'm really thinking
it is my technique.

According to the 43.13 the head should fit snug - which I take to
mean that they shouldn't wiggle. Conceptually, I think the wiggling
could lead to friction erosion of the pin - with a potential for
failure.

Maybe, I need to do this one using the other method for setting them
- I've been trying to bend one leg over the top and the other down -
I may try the 'anchor' method as shown in the 43.13.

Somebody tell me that I'm not out of my mind with my anal-
retentiveness.....

Ralph Capen
RV6AQB Slider N822AR (at) N06
Knocking out the million little things.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: