Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glideslope upgrade options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CardinalNSB(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Glideslope upgrade options Reply with quote

My strategy, not a recommendation or advise: invest low in gs technology, upgrade when I get serious about ifr to 430Waas or to newer gs equipment that the Garmin users are throwing away. I bought a freshly overhauled KNS 80 (vor/loc/gs/dme) with tray and backplate for $600. I've seen others advertised that claimed to be working good for half that. Big, ugly, heavy, but no subscription required. I can only shudder to think what repair costs might be.....

Other than the cdi wiring, rest of wiring for KNS80 (or 81 if the external dme is not used) is not complicated: antenna(s), power, ground, lights, nav audio, dme audio.

KNS 80/81 and Garmins need a cdi with resolver, KI 206. Collins 350/351, there are some ARC indicators that work but its a big secret to me. I was also interested in the TKM led cdi, but can't get confirmation that it will work with the Garmin/King stuff. I also read that the TERRA cdi will work with King/Garmin, but that the light bar technology goes out of whack (a step motor for lighting the bars instead of direct led lighting like the TKM?). Or use a new MidContinent/Garmin cdi with the internal annunciator lights and all , I don't see them for sale used, 206 I see for $900, collins a little less. TKM new is $600 I think.

Query: can you legally install a KNS81 (even cheaper) in a certified aircraft, simply don't hook up anything to the dme input, placard the unit as "DME permanently inop". Are there any electrical reasons not to do so, or do I need to put a jumper in, or what?  I have talked to pilots who have used the KNS81 with the dme out for repairs, would there be a long term degradation?

So, at upgrade time to 430 I will keep my KI206: re-pin one end of cdi harness for Garmin; add gps antenna; move vor/loc/gs antenna to Garmin; re-pin ends for power, ground, nav audio wires, comm wires; and change mounting can over. Donate KNS80? Good luck, Skip

Other than the cdi harness, the electricity part of the install is simpler than the mounting/antenna/

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
n1345p

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Glideslope upgrade options Reply with quote

Skip,
Thanks for the information. My student also wants to add a glide slope at a lower cost.
Your solution is a KNS80 plus an indicator.
- KNS80 = $600
- KI206 = $900
- Total Eq=$1500 plus installation

The Val Ins422 is $1751 new from aircraftspruce:
- easier to install - one piece instead of two - no interconnecting cables.
- Should be more reliable since it is new. maybe maybe not.
- We have one in a C150, works fine.

The KNS80 plan has some merit. Thanks.

mitch

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: