Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fw: A good? flight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eanderson(at)carolina.rr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Fw: A good? flight. Reply with quote

Beautiful on Thursday, no early morning ground fog, so decided to go flying.
As some of you know, the area in front of the GooseCreek hangars has been torn up by construction work around the airport and nothing but mud after a rain. But, today it was dry enough to support my RV.
So took off and immediately hit the old spark plug SAG, EGT drop down from 1600F to around 1450F on rotor #1, rpm decreased, same old stuff - but always makes the seat cushion pucker when it happens during take off. Aircraft still climbing at 750 fpm so not any danger - just NOT FUN. This was with the new spark plugs (the ones I had just installed when I had the apex seal failure on way to Sun & Fun last April), I finally got up the nerve to put the back in the aircraft - they lasted 31 hours vs the nominal 20 for the stock plugs before Lead gasoline induced fouling(i.e. SAG).
As is usually, once your throttle back, the SAG goes away and it did. Then turned east (into the sun) to stay out of the Charlotte class B airspace. It was starting to get warm so I opened one of the eyeball ventilation vents (did I mention that the construction had stirred up a LOT of dust) and the cockpit was immediately filled with dust and debris (straw mostly) blown out of the duct hose. The dust immediately (static electricity?) coated the inside of the canopy which facing into the sun dropped visibility to near zero. Immediately turned 90 deg to the direction of the sun and could again see out the canopy. Glad I had a foam plug blocking the engine intake while the aircraft sat in the hangar.
Finally the dust and straw stopped flying and I had a soft cloth to wipe off the canopy. So continued the flight. Then a few minutes later I notice the vinyl cloth I had covering the top of the instrument panel was starting to balloon up (apparently after 7 years the glue had dried out) due to air apparently leaking in from the front of the canopy. Put a water bottle and few other things on top and that held it down.
Well, I guess the gremlins decided I was really committed to flying today (checking out the accuracy of the new EFI monitor) and ceased their activities.
Flew for an hour and found 0.01 gallon difference between the gauge and what I refilled the tanks. So that part turned out good.
All in all, a great flight - good landing and no damage to aircraft or pilot, but a few things to clear up before flying to the RV Flyin in Florida next week. So I won't be flying on Saturday, Cappy. Enjoy!
Ed
Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com
Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com

- The Matronics RVSouthEast-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RVSouthEast-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: