Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Way to Turn Mixture Adjustment Screw on Carburetor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobair8(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Which Way to Turn Mixture Adjustment Screw on Carburetor? Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Folks,

I have a Marvel Schebler MA-4-5 carb on my O-360-A1A in my GlaStar. It is running too rich. The Marvel Schebler overhaul manual for the carb doesn't say which way to turn the mixture adjustment screw (I think the manual refers to it as the air screw). The Lycoming direct drive overhaul manual tells how to adjust the mixture setting in section nine but it only says to turn the mixture screw the way you need to turn it to enrichen or lean the mixture -- it doesn't say which direction is which.

Since the adjustments are so fine (one or two notches), I'd like to know which way to go before I start turning it.

Can anybody tell me which way to go? Thanks.

Best regards,

Bob
[quote][b]

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
dick(at)aerovisiontech.co

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Which Way to Turn Mixture Adjustment Screw on Carburetor? Reply with quote

As I recall its R=R and L=L. That is to say Right for Rich and Left for Lean but for the love of God touch bases with your A&P.

Dick Baker
www.aerovisiontech.com

From: owner-lycomingengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lycomingengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of r falstad
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 11:13 PM
To: LycomingEngines-List Digest Server
Subject: LycomingEngines-List: Which Way to Turn Mixture Adjustment Screw on Carburetor?

Folks,

I have a Marvel Schebler MA-4-5 carb on my O-360-A1A in my GlaStar. It is running too rich. The Marvel Schebler overhaul manual for the carb doesn't say which way to turn the mixture adjustment screw (I think the manual refers to it as the air screw). The Lycoming direct drive overhaul manual tells how to adjust the mixture setting in section nine but it only says to turn the mixture screw the way you need to turn it to enrichen or lean the mixture -- it doesn't say which direction is which.

Since the adjustments are so fine (one or two notches), I'd like to know which way to go before I start turning it.

Can anybody tell me which way to go? Thanks.

Best regards,

Bob
Quote:
  - The LycomingEngines-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Checked by AVG. Release Date: 5/31/2008 12:25 PM
Checked by AVG.
5/31/2008 12:25 PM
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

flyinwithme99(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Which Way to Turn Mixture Adjustment Screw on Carburetor? Reply with quote

If you understand that the engine is running too rich, then turning the screw one way or another until it is running leaner shouldn't be a problem for you. There are no notches involved with this setting either. Screwing it clockwise will lean the idle mixture.....counterclockwise is idle mixture richer.

Please understand that this is the idle circuit only. This screw has nothing to do with the primary jet.

If this adjustment does not cure your rich idle condition, then there could be other problems ie float settings, carb internal air/fuel leakage...etc. I believe that all MA-4-5's also have a power valve that is activated by the throttle shaft and also has an adjustment that is set during overhaul of the carb, and set according to a chart using the carb 10 dash number. If this carb was not originally installed on your model of engine, then you may have to do some research to verify that this power valve setting is correct for your engine. This setting affects mixture ratios other than at idle.

Make sure the engine is warmed up before making the idle mixture setting. Best to accomplish while the engine is running for best results. BE CAREFUL AROUND TURNING PROPELLER.

You will most certainly need to re-adjust your idle speed setting after this adjustment.

Manny

A&P

r falstad <bobair8(at)msn.com> wrote:
[quote] <?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Folks,

I have a [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: