Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air in oil cooler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPPalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Air in oil cooler Reply with quote

Upon reading my own post, I had one more thought to check on oil coolers. Is the cooler filling all the way up with oil?

I've seen various oil cooler installations and while I know some production aircraft mount the coolers horizontally, I've always wondered if an air bubble isn't trapped in there that never gets purged? If so, then you'd never be using the full capacity of the oil cooler. It seems to me a vertical, or nearly vertical installation would fill the cooler with oil and be self purging.

Then comes the question of which way to feed a vertical oil cooler. Some advocate having the oil input to the higher of the two oil inlets. I'm not sure why... maybe to avoid a dry start if there is air in the cooler? (Although on a Lycoming, the cooler is in a parallel circuit with the main engine oil circuit, so you're always getting some oil direct from the pump.)

I could be wrong about all that. But when it came time for us to plumb ours, I remember someone who seemed knowledgeable on the newsgroups recommend you filled the cooler from the bottom up. This made sense to me and I can envision oil purging air out of the cooler in normal operation. Our cooler is mounted about 30 degrees off vertical (it's the only place on the firewall I could make it fit) and I've always wondered if the top 2 inches wasn't filled with trapped air.

Someone should make a clear oil cooler for testing purposes! Of course, the goal is to have the oil cooler be filled 100% with oil so as to maximize heat exchange.

Mike Palmer <><
Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
(http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007) [quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Air in oil cooler Reply with quote

Go advice Mike, I bleed my oil cooler before before hooking up the outlet side.

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: