Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I was thinking of that the other day too - on the missing fu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPPalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: I was thinking of that the other day too - on the missing fu Reply with quote

You know, as I try to cover all ends of this, I had considered that, maybe my assumptions were wrong about the wing being full in the first place. We have a 13 year history with the plane, and never had this problem. But then, I used to be able to hear the flapper valves in the B ribs flap. But I haven't heard that sound lately.

So, for example, if a flapper valve were stuck closed, then I could end up filling the tank to the brim, thinking I had really filled it, but as fuel migrated into the center bay thru the bypasses, that would explain the level going down at the tips.

But now to shoot my theory down. When we ran out of fuel in the main in flight, we landed and put 39 gallons in the main. (Filled from both sides, which I usually don't do.) This is consistent with an empty main tank for us. (44 gal total with header.) Unfortunately, when we top off the tank to the brim, it tends to leak on the ramp, and when we got back from the airport restaurant, I saw some staining on the asphalt. I don't think it was much more than a gallon, but who knows?

Anyway, we flew home and, as I reported earlier in the week, I put 20 gallons in, filling both sides to the top again, where the totalizer said I only used 18. Okay, so maybe we lost 2 gallons when the fuel was draining. (Ouch. The price of lunch.)

But the tank has gone down since the last top off, so that say more like 22 or 24 gallons used since the full top off, when the Totalizer says 18 used. (That 18 is typical for that flight.)

I like your idea of weighing the plane. Too bad I don't have a set of scales. (No, we don't have fuel in aft bays. At least, not by design. Only the front side of the main spar is a fuel tank.)

But you're right, I need to get better data. I'll plan to top off again Monday and see over the week what happens to the fuel level. That will be key to what's going on here.

(A new thought. If we were leaking fuel into the center bay, shouldn't I be able to smell it if I hook a hose into the tie down attach fitting?)

Mike <><

Quote:
Its entirely possible the wing was not full. If the baffle cutouts are
too small, then fuel migrates slowly to the various bays. Many owners
of older Glasairs have this problem. The instructions were changed to
make the cutouts bigger along the way. Also, I don't recall if you have
any fuel in aft wing bays. This could also make it difficult to know
how much fuel is actually on board.

You could put the plane on scales and see if it get lighter overnight.

Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com!
(http://www.tourtracker.com?NCID=aolmus00050000000112) [quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: