Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bonding Strap Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tie-norman(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

For those of you that decided to install static wicks with bonding straps, where are you attaching the bonding straps?  I have looked at the production spam cans around the airport but wanted to see what other -10 builders are doing.

Also, what are you using for the strap and what size?  Something like this http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/copperbraid.php with a crimped ring terminal?

Thanks,
Tommy
Frisco, TX (DFW area)
RV-10
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
--Leonardo da Vinci

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

I am not planning on putting on static wicks but I do plan on trying to bond the flight controls.  How?  Not sure yet.  You have the right idea with the tinned strap though.  Several people are doing wicks and you can find a rough guesstimate on Tim's site for a starting point.  I don't necessarily believe that we are in the speed ranges that need wicks yet, but to each his own.  The electrical potential difference between the flight controls and the main airframe is more likely to cause problems (RF noise, corrosion, etc) than actual static build up at the trailing edges IMHO.

Michael Sausen
RV-10 #352 Working on Fuselage
Do Not Archive
Recent RV-10 Build Activity
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tommy Norman
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:45 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Bonding Strap Location

For those of you that decided to install static wicks with bonding straps, where are you attaching the bonding straps?  I have looked at the production spam cans around the airport but wanted to see what other -10 builders are doing.

Also, what are you using for the strap and what size?  Something like this http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/copperbraid.php with a crimped ring terminal?

Thanks,
Tommy
Frisco, TX (DFW area)
RV-10
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
--Leonardo da Vinci

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jjessen(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

Michael, then why do C-182's have wicks?  Certainly we fly faster.  Is it only when we are in the clouds that the wicks are needed?  I don't know about any of this, so may put them on to just keep the elephants away. 

John Jessen
  ~328 (buildus interruptus)

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:41 PM
Subject: RE: Bonding Strap Location

I am not planning on putting on static wicks but I do plan on trying to bond the flight controls.  How?  Not sure yet.  You have the right idea with the tinned strap though.  Several people are doing wicks and you can find a rough guesstimate on Tim's site for a starting point.  I don't necessarily believe that we are in the speed ranges that need wicks yet, but to each his own.  The electrical potential difference between the flight controls and the main airframe is more likely to cause problems (RF noise, corrosion, etc) than actual static build up at the trailing edges IMHO.

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tommy Norman

Thanks,
Tommy
Frisco, TX (DFW area)
RV-10
--Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

John,

You can search the archives here and on www.vansairforce.net to find some good information.  It is a personal decision much like the primer debate (both of which have been debated enough already).  I decided to add them to error on the side of caution.  I have been frustrated enough times in the past due to lost or garbled communications (not fun in busy airspace or while IFR).

Tom

--

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

Thanks Michael.  Do you know what size bonding strap you will use?  I’m thinking ¼” but that is a pure WAG with no technical theory to back it up.

--

jjessen(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

Tom, thanks!

do not archive

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 9:39 AM

John,

You can search the archives here and on www.vansairforce.net to find some good information.  It is a personal decision much like the primer debate (both of which have been debated enough already).  I decided to add them to error on the side of caution.  I have been frustrated enough times in the past due to lost or garbled communications (not fun in busy airspace or while IFR).

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Jessen
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 8:18 AM

Michael, then why do C-182's have wicks?  Certainly we fly faster.  Is it only when we are in the clouds that the wicks are needed?  I don't know about any of this, so may put them on to just keep the elephants away. 

John Jessen

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Thanks,
Tommy
Frisco, TX (DFW area)
RV-10
--Leonardo da Vinci

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

Honestly I don't know, but we are dealing with such a tiny amount of current over such a short distance I would think 1/4 would be plenty.  I will probably use whatever fit's the best.

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 8:46 AM

Thanks Michael.  Do you know what size bonding strap you will use?  I’m thinking ¼” but that is a pure WAG with no technical theory to back it up.

Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:41 PM

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Thanks,
Tommy
Frisco, TX (DFW area)
RV-10
--Leonardo da Vinci

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

John,

I am by no means an expert in this field but I have heard all sides including comments on this from Dick Kohler at a EAA Sportair Workshop on Electrical Systems just last weekend.  He is much smarter than most of us and echoed my thoughts on the matter.

The bottom line is static wicks are a black art and there is no "one" placement that will 100% work on all of even one model of aircraft.  As I understand things, precipitation static, what we are worrying about here, is only generated when something (water vapor, dust, smoke, etc) rubs against the airframe at speeds great enough to generate a charge.  This charge buildup is what causes the problems and static wicks give a low resistance point to shed that charge back to the atmosphere.

Bottom line is many people put them on to chase away pink elephants, nothing wrong with that.  You will never know if they help because it is very much a perceived value unless you take them off and have a problem.  Static charges loves to jump away via sharp points at the aft most point it can.  There is always a good chance that with our metal aircraft, and sub 200 knot speeds, static energy will dissipate on it's own from the sharp trailing edge of the control surfaces, hence my reason for still wanting to bond control surfaces with the airframe.  One issue with us is the fact that the absolute aft most point on the -10 is actually fiberglass with a tail light.  If you do have a problem you can always bond wicks later.

For me I was all over putting them on in the beginning.  Once I talked to some people and read a bunch of stuff, I realized they probably aren't needed.  Adding the fact they are ugly, prone to poking me as I climb around, and add some amount of drag, I decided I can always add them later.  One thing to keep in mind, wicks will almost certainly not help in a lightening strike as it has enough energy to overcome any resistance to it's path of choice.  But bonded surfaces will help it directly traverse the airframe without jumping and burning holes.

My two cents.

Michael Sausen

Do Not Archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Jessen

John Jessen

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Thanks,
Tommy
Frisco, TX (DFW area)
RV-10
--Leonardo da Vinci

johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

P static and Lightning Dissipation are two different electrical events, both of which are centered around assisting the conductivity of a material (Metal/Composite/Air). Saint Elmo’s Fire is another phenomena. Composite canopies (of the sheer size of an RV10) on VANS are a new occurrence.  Aluminum conductivity helps keep P static to a minimum and yet for guys who fly in visible or even translucent clouds, the interference on the radio band is unmistakable.  When moving from Day/VFR/Recreation to Night/IFR/Time important flight, P static needs to be addressed and remediated.  Wicks help in both arena. When you introduce a composite cover at the most remote corner of a control surface you are helping defeat the natural discharge of induced voltage (Wingtip, Horizontal, Vertical, Rudder).

IMHO, It is foolishness not to understand the advantage of bonding straps that circumvent control surface bearing connections with a more conductive path.  When a lightning bolt hits, it always departs somewhere.  The welding effect on bearings or bushings is amazing.  We just replaced 45 feet of rivet line (hundreds of blown rivets) in the floor of one of our Air Carrier birds that ventured into it. It was not flying fast, it was not flying high, it was just flying in the damp Pacific North Wet. With or without static wicks, I would hope every builder makes a conscious choice before dismissing “Bonding Straps”.   It takes a Mega ohm meter to measure such infinitesimal increments of voltage.  Static can be in the millivolt range and still take a bite out of a piece of expensive avionics.

We use ProSeal on each connection point of bonding straps to reduce corrosion, moisture penetration and mechanical strains from movement.

John – KUAO
Do not Archive

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 6:18 AM

John Jessen

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Thanks,

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

As always John, a good addition to the conversation.  You see more of this in a week than most of us do in a lifetime.  Glad to see my thoughts on bonding ring true.

One more thing I want to add is that there is no way to drain static from fiberglass parts other than to embed a conductive mesh just below the surface of the part and then bonding that to your airframe.  If you try to bond a regular fiberglass part, it will only drain that specific spot.  And if you remember those old high school experiments, the glass part of fiberglass is one of the better generators of static electricity.

It really isn't that much more cost or effort to add such a mesh during construction, and it's too bad they don't.  Of course our wingtip antennas would be useless and there would be no more hiding GPS antennas under the cowl.

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John W. Cox
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 12:53 PM

P static and Lightning Dissipation are two different electrical events, both of which are centered around assisting the conductivity of a material (Metal/Composite/Air). Saint Elmo’s Fire is another phenomena. Composite canopies (of the sheer size of an RV10) on VANS are a new occurrence.  Aluminum conductivity helps keep P static to a minimum and yet for guys who fly in visible or even translucent clouds, the interference on the radio band is unmistakable.  When moving from Day/VFR/Recreation to Night/IFR/Time important flight, P static needs to be addressed and remediated.  Wicks help in both arena. When you introduce a composite cover at the most remote corner of a control surface you are helping defeat the natural discharge of induced voltage (Wingtip, Horizontal, Vertical, Rudder).

IMHO, It is foolishness not to understand the advantage of bonding straps that circumvent control surface bearing connections with a more conductive path.  When a lightning bolt hits, it always departs somewhere.  The welding effect on bearings or bushings is amazing.  We just replaced 45 feet of rivet line (hundreds of blown rivets) in the floor of one of our Air Carrier birds that ventured into it. It was not flying fast, it was not flying high, it was just flying in the damp Pacific North Wet. With or without static wicks, I would hope every builder makes a conscious choice before dismissing “Bonding Straps”.   It takes a Mega ohm meter to measure such infinitesimal increments of voltage.  Static can be in the millivolt range and still take a bite out of a piece of expensive avionics.

We use ProSeal on each connection point of bonding straps to reduce corrosion, moisture penetration and mechanical strains from movement.

John – KUAO
Do not Archive

John Jessen

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

Mike, (other John responding)

I too am no expert on this subject but that is why I went to A&P school and choose to work at the airlines to learn while tackling the dream of an RV10.  I don’t chase Pink Elephants but do deal with their droppings - DAILY.  We do so in the stealth of night while others sleep so you never see the size or the process. 

Speed is relative and there is no magic number which escapes the reaction of static. You can build up static at 105 knots and I want to go faster.  The aircraft becomes an air capacitor.  Yes over time voltage storage can dissipate, that does not mean that it will, to a level I am comfortable with.  I have been knocked on my Keister more than once with the capacitance of a CRT that was not property grounded.  Igniters on turbines are another example of capacitance.  The goal of static wicks is to discharge back into the source (the atmosphere). Just like a ground wire returns the electron path to the source of generation.  At a certain level, the effect of P static affects safe RF communications.

It is a common misunderstanding that it is the absolute aft locations that are the only correct solution.  That only works on a P3 Orion trailing a MAD array behind it.  If you imagine the centerline (longitudinal) and a centrifugal force slinging P static outboard, then it is the outboard most points from the longitudinal that benefit the greatest from the use of static dissipation wicks.  Hence, Ailerons, Top of the rudder, and outboard on the Horizontal, then maybe the Tail.  Because one can loose effectiveness, we use redundancy with two or more in each location.  Beyond that rule, it does become black magic much like skin mapping for an effective ground plane and signal propagation with your favorite antennae.  It is measurable, it is repeatable and hence with every aircraft being different it creates confusion = Black Magic.  E glass impedes the effective transmission back to the source of the p-static (to the atmosphere).  You need to plan for future wicks if you consider effective deployment later.  They don’t get added Willy Nilly. Removable wicks can remain OFF the aircraft (until after the airshow season) and not placed (threaded back ON) until flight into such planned conditions.  Then back OFF and into storage again.  The lack of effective wicks are the single greatest contributor to blowing holes in composite material when the natural path of high voltage is being interrupted.  This is separate from the subject of P-static. Hence, I humbly disagree that they don’t help in a lightning incursion.  My premise is that they are a requirement to mitigate damage.  We have a megaohmer and test each wick regularly.  Most pilots can’t.  I sent some good information to Tim on this subject for the RV University site.

“Back to picking up piles.”  And to use Dan Checkoway’s quote in this month’s Kitplane – to squeezing the rivets, not bucking.

John - $00.02

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 7:27 AM

John,

I am by no means an expert in this field but I have heard all sides including comments on this from Dick Kohler at a EAA Sportair Workshop on Electrical Systems just last weekend.  He is much smarter than most of us and echoed my thoughts on the matter.

The bottom line is static wicks are a black art and there is no "one" placement that will 100% work on all of even one model of aircraft.  As I understand things, precipitation static, what we are worrying about here, is only generated when something (water vapor, dust, smoke, etc) rubs against the airframe at speeds great enough to generate a charge.  This charge buildup is what causes the problems and static wicks give a low resistance point to shed that charge back to the atmosphere.

Bottom line is many people put them on to chase away pink elephants, nothing wrong with that.  You will never know if they help because it is very much a perceived value unless you take them off and have a problem.  Static charges loves to jump away via sharp points at the aft most point it can.  There is always a good chance that with our metal aircraft, and sub 200 knot speeds, static energy will dissipate on it's own from the sharp trailing edge of the control surfaces, hence my reason for still wanting to bond control surfaces with the airframe.  One issue with us is the fact that the absolute aft most point on the -10 is actually fiberglass with a tail light.  If you do have a problem you can always bond wicks later.

For me I was all over putting them on in the beginning.  Once I talked to some people and read a bunch of stuff, I realized they probably aren't needed.  Adding the fact they are ugly, prone to poking me as I climb around, and add some amount of drag, I decided I can always add them later.  One thing to keep in mind, wicks will almost certainly not help in a lightening strike as it has enough energy to overcome any resistance to it's path of choice.  But bonded surfaces will help it directly traverse the airframe without jumping and burning holes.

My two cents.

Michael Sausen

Do Not Archive

John Jessen

speckter(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

When using Proseal, how is it used so as not to interupt conductivity?
Gary
[quote]
--

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

It’s applied over the head of the (correctly torqued) fastener at the terminal end of each braid eyelet.  It seals the fasteners, eyes and braid to the object.  It is much like doing the process inside the fuel cell. Conductivity is through the braid material, through the crimped eye (in contact with the mount point).  The superior path provides a level of protection to direct the damaging voltage away from an “arc across a bearing or bushing face”.  It’s the arc that is so damaging.

It is a bitch to remove when the braid becomes worn and requires replacement.  It is ProSeal, which in some camps is a dirty word.

Proseal is also used in other areas to complete a fayed, fillet between the airframe and an attachment item (like a bracket).

John

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Gary Specketer
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 4:07 PM

Gary

Quote:

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John W. Cox
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 1:53 PM

John – KUAO
Do not Archive

John Jessen

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Thanks,

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

What about using something like LPS 3?

Michael
Do not archive

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 6:46 PM

It’s applied over the head of the (correctly torqued) fastener at the terminal end of each braid eyelet.  It seals the fasteners, eyes and braid to the object.  It is much like doing the process inside the fuel cell. Conductivity is through the braid material, through the crimped eye (in contact with the mount point).  The superior path provides a level of protection to direct the damaging voltage away from an “arc across a bearing or bushing face”.  It’s the arc that is so damaging.

It is a bitch to remove when the braid becomes worn and requires replacement.  It is ProSeal, which in some camps is a dirty word.

Proseal is also used in other areas to complete a fayed, fillet between the airframe and an attachment item (like a bracket).

John

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Gary Specketer

Gary

Quote:

John – KUAO
Do not Archive

John Jessen

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

LPS 3 is one step down from Hard Coat and we use it on fasteners which are exposed to the weather, such as inspection covers.  It slows but does not stop the corrosion.  Corrosion can kill a low resistance bonding strap. It is a great film to be applied on surfaces which are exposed to outside ambient temperatures without benefit of cabin heat.  On our Air Carrier fleet you will find it in the nose (forward of the pressure bulkhead), tail (aft of the pressure bulkhead) and below the heated floor where humidity lurks, just waiting for condensation.

The ProSeal is found where bonding straps bridge airframe to moving control surface or landing gear doors.  Those surfaces which get fuel, oils, grime and grit.  I don’t want to take anything away from LPS3 and as the Builder, it is your choice of material, technique and final construction quality.  These are not certified airframes.  That is part of the thrill.

John
Do not Archive

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 6:34 PM

What about using something like LPS 3?

Michael
Do not archive

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 6:46 PM

John

Gary

Quote:

John – KUAO
Do not Archive

John Jessen

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Thanks,

speckter(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Bonding Strap Location Reply with quote

Gary
[quote]
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: