Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chris Heintz letter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon(at)joncroke.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Chris Heintz letter Reply with quote

FYI,

There is a NEW letter from Chris Heintz regarding aileron flutter posted at www.zenair.org (open to all readers)
I would like to thank Chris Heintz for this letter, as I think it could be of importance to all CH design builders and CH aircraft owners.

Thanks
Jon
editor
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Chris Heintz letter Reply with quote

I love Zenith and their product line of kitplanes,,, BUT. The article states to set the cable tension to 75 LBS on the first flight and let the cable loosen. MY guess is at 75 LBS you will rip out all the pulleys and other components linked to the cables. I really can't believe Chris would have said that... Just my humble opinion though,

do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "Jon Croke" <Jon(at)joncroke.com> wrote:
FYI,

There is a NEW letter from Chris Heintz regarding aileron flutter posted at www.zenair.org (open to all readers)
I would like to thank Chris Heintz for this letter, as I think it could be of importance to all CH design builders and CH aircraft owners.

Thanks
Jon
editor
Quote:

====================================
1-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
tronics.com
www.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

zodierocket(at)hsfx.ca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Chris Heintz letter Reply with quote

Ben, the 801 flies just fine with 80 lbs, the intent is to ensure that all slack in the cables is released and then adjusted to proper value. I have set the tension of cables for another builder and set them to 40lbs. After the first flight the cables were less then 10lbs. I quickly re-adjusted them back to 35lbs and redid the safety wire and they stayed constant to the first annual. The intent and desire is that during the first flight all chances of flutter or overly loose cables is removed. Chris has told me several times and at our chapter meeting for the RAA to ensure that the cable tension is higher then spec for first flight then backed off to appropriate # and checked often. During the 801’s 25 hrs the last two weeks I checked the cable tension 5 times, the value never changed from setting it to 35lbs, this is not always the case.

Mark Townsend
Can-Zac Aviation Ltd.
president(at)can-zacaviation.com (president(at)can-zacaviation.com)
www.can-zacaviation.com

--

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Chris Heintz letter Reply with quote

The plans call for cable tension to be 25-35 lbs. That is with the front gear off the ground so to get the full measurement. If the gear is settled the cables get real tight real quick when the gear is fully extended

cscsail(at)gmavt.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Chris Heintz letter Reply with quote

I found that I needed to slacken the elevator cables in order to eliminate the tendency for the control stick to constantly push to the left. The cables are just snug and I'm sure much less than: Elevator tension should be about 40 lbs +/- 5
Has anybody else encountered this effect, or do I have something rigged improperly?
Gordon
CH701 912ULS 25hrs

[quote] ---

NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Chris Heintz letter Reply with quote

Gordon,

Ditto for me
Bob Spudis
N701ZX/ 912S/ 160hrs

In a message dated 7/26/2008 6:36:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cscsail(at)gmavt.net writes:
Quote:
I found that I needed to slacken the elevator cables in order to eliminate the tendency for the control stick to constantly push to the left. The cables are just snug and I'm sure much less than: Elevator tension should be about 40 lbs +/- 5
Has anybody else encountered this effect, or do I have something rigged improperly?
Gordon
CH701 912ULS 25hrs

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: