Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV4 Left Wing Flap Push Rod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: RV4 Left Wing Flap Push Rod Reply with quote

Listers ...
I did not build this rv4 but have a question about the push rod on the left
wing flap.
When the flaps are full down the push rod binds on the fuselage cut-out ....
forward end of the cut-out. This binding seems to act as the stop for the
travel but that doesn't seem right. When the travel stops the left side
flap doesn't jiggle up and down ... it's in a tight bind. The right side
does have some jiggle room however. Isn't the flap stop created by the
motor simply shutting off? What can be done to fix this?
Jerry Grimmonpre

- The Matronics RV4-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List
halbenjamin(at)optonline.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: RV4 Left Wing Flap Push Rod Reply with quote

Hi Jerry C
6nbsp;
First I would check all the connecting hardware to be sure that no threads 6nbsp;are stripped or loose C in particular the push rods themselves E The push rods are threaded by the builder 6amp; could be worn E
6nbsp;
Next I would 6nbsp;check the rigging of the flaps to 6nbsp;be sure they are in the proper adjustment E (e Eg Eleft flap could be adjusted trailing edge too low)
6nbsp;
If all the attachments 6amp; rigging 6nbsp;are correct C I would 6nbsp;extend the 6nbsp;opening 6nbsp;for the left push rod forward so that it doesn 7t bind E 6nbsp;Be sure 6nbsp;inspect the left rod for damage that could have been caused by the binding E
6nbsp;
Good luck C
6nbsp;
Hal Benjamin
RV-4 Long Island C NY
Baffles 6amp; Engine Connections

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ssamps(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: RV4 Left Wing Flap Push Rod Reply with quote

Jerry, I would just like to agree what Hal has said and emphasise that ANY damage to the push rods is a reason to discard them and make new ones.

When I made mine up , new, I realised just how fragile they are. They rely on the 'push' being up and down their own axis. Any side pressure risks kinking them which would lead to their collapse. Many builders have gone to the hexagonal pre tapped ones that VANS supply for the -9, but VANS reassured me that provided they were made to design, AND DID NOT BIND ON THE FUSE, the ones in the plans are fine.

Cheers, Steve.

2008/10/18 <halbenjamin(at)optonline.net (halbenjamin(at)optonline.net)>
[quote] Hi Jerry,

First I would check all the connecting hardware to be sure that no threads are stripped or loose, in particular the push rods themselves. The push rods are threaded by the builder & could be worn.

Next I would check the rigging of the flaps to be sure they are in the proper adjustment. (e.g.left flap could be adjusted trailing edge too low)

If all the attachments & rigging are correct, I would extend the opening for the left push rod forward so that it doesn't bind. Be sure inspect the left rod for damage that could have been caused by the binding.

Good luck,

Hal Benjamin
RV-4 Long Island, NY
Baffles & Engine Connections

---

Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: RV4 Left Wing Flap Push Rod Reply with quote

My thanks to Hal and Ben for their reply to the above ...
I will order a new push rod for the left side because the original one shows
signs of stress.

Another question:

How do the flaps stop their up/down travel ... is it through limit switches
on the motor or stopping at airframe structure?

If it's limit switches I can replace or adjust those. If it's structure of
the airframe I can't find that in the building manual. My building manual
only addresses manually deployed wing flaps.

The paper work (one sheet) explaining electric flaps, doesn't mention any
stops when going down or up.
Could someone please explain the electric flap stops at the up and down
limits? Maybe cite the page or reference.
Jerry Grimmonpre
Huntley IL

halbenjamin(at)optonline.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: RV4 Left Wing Flap Push Rod Reply with quote

Hi Jerry C
6nbsp;
I looked for the paperwork C but wasn 7t able to find it E But basically C the flap motor is controlled with a momentary switch E When you hold 6nbsp;the switch 6nbsp;in the up or down position C the motor will run until 6nbsp;you release the switch C or its actuator rod reaches the limit of its travel E 6nbsp;There are no external switches C or airframe stops E
6nbsp;
If my memory serves me correctly C the flap position is adjusted by 6nbsp;changing the length of the rod 6nbsp;connects 6nbsp;the two horizontal bars 6nbsp;to the flap weldment 6nbsp;arm C and by the length of the wing flap push rods E
6nbsp;
You could always call Van 7s 6amp; see if you can get a copy of the installation sheets for the electric flap conversion E
6nbsp;
Good luck!
6nbsp;
Hal Benjamin RV-4
Long Island C NY
FWF

---

Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: RV4 Left Wing Flap Push Rod Reply with quote

Hal ... many thanks for your follow-up. I confirm that the flap motor is going to it's own limits and thereby acting as the "stops" for the entire flap system, up and down.
I did call Van's about this issue. The person will remain nameless but said, "the fuselage interference is OK to act as the stops". I find it hard to agree with this notion in view of the adjustments available in the main push rod, nearest the motor, and then the second adjustment within the left and right push rods. The compelling reason is that the left/right push rods bend the fuselage metal when they repeatedly contact this area. Secondly this interference is going to wear on the push rod and creating a stress riser.

I will request the latest in electric flap install sheets and talk to someone else at Van's to confirm my suspicions about the basic operating philosophy.
Thanks ...
Jerry

[quote] ---

ssamps(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: RV4 Left Wing Flap Push Rod Reply with quote

Jerry, rest assured the installation sheet sais "Pause frequently to check that there is no interference or binding."

EF-404 (The threaded shaft) is used to set the retracted position. There are a couple of pictures of my set up here.

Max down is 40 deg. The rather strange design of the motor means there is no damage if you keep running the motor at each end of its travel. On climb out I just hold the switch up until the flaps must have retracted fully. I only look later when I am up a few hundred feet.

While I think of it dont forget the AD,
Hope that helps. Steve

2008/10/23 Jerry Grimmonpre <jerry(at)mc.net (jerry(at)mc.net)>
[quote] Hal ... many thanks for your follow-up. I confirm that the flap motor is going to it's own limits and thereby acting as the "stops" for the entire flap system, up and down.
I did call Van's about this issue. The person will remain nameless but said, "the fuselage interference is OK to act as the stops". I find it hard to agree with this notion in view of the adjustments available in the main push rod, nearest the motor, and then the second adjustment within the left and right push rods. The compelling reason is that the left/right push rods bend the fuselage metal when they repeatedly contact this area. Secondly this interference is going to wear on the push rod and creating a stress riser.

I will request the latest in electric flap install sheets and talk to someone else at Van's to confirm my suspicions about the basic operating philosophy.
Thanks ...
Jerry

[quote] ---

Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: RV4 Left Wing Flap Push Rod Reply with quote

Steve ... Thanks again for your comments ... rich with links as well, you seem well organized.
I will readjust my flaps so the push rods don't hit anything on the structure or skin.

I like Van's philosophy of keep 'em light and efficient and simple. The flip side is one has to keep an eye out for surprises caused by simple eyeball engineering in some cases. These 4's do travel quite quickly and that's a very good thing.

You have a good looking site
Regards ...
Jerry
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: