Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EAA observations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: EAA observations Reply with quote

I have been following the thread that was inspired in part by the discovery of Tom P.s salary. I would guess that his other perks make the job worth close to a million a year.

That is about a dollar a headache!

Since I have gotten more involved as an kitplane importer and a "hillybilly airplane guy" (own some part of 5 projects, none of em fly) I have also gotten closer to EAA. My perception is that there is a lot of "old fart" airplane lovers who joined EAA when dirt was young.   Like it or not, there seems to be a bunch of chapters who are run by the OF's. Not particularly attractive to the young builder. I have had my share of experience with OFs who tend to be a bit pompus and cannot explain something without telling me their claim to fame. Some claim to be very committed to EAA, but it is mostly a commitment to their own fiefdom. It is refreshing to notice Jim Clement responds simply with his name, not a lot of titles and accomplishments...which he would certainly deserve.

It is all the special interests that make for headaches. I have a very small part in trying to expand the Light Sport world, so have found out more about the political battles within EAA than I cared to. Warbirds think they hung the moon and that ultralights are just weedwackers with wings. Slick kit planes think tube and fabric is just a polite name for potential mouse nest. And on and on.

Some of the personalities of the OFs make me wonder whose side they are on. They may be FOR their love-interest, but then are against the rest of EAA. AND they ignore where homebuilding is headed. It is NOT toward warbirds, or antiques, or rebuilding GA planes.,, but you would never know that from reading Sport Aviation.

We live with a younger generation that wants it NOW. It is a rare young builder who wants to stick-build a plane. Hence the huge rise in kit sales and also build centers. Who wants to spend 10, 15, 20 years building a plane and then lose your medical before you even fly it?   Where does the computer generation get welding, composite, electrical, engine, painting or fabrication skills? You can finance a kitplane, but it is real tough to finance a stick built. It is the future of flying in general, homebuilding in specific, that is in serious jeopardy....in my opinion.

I admire Tom P. for his willingness to be the Chief Cat-Herder. I recognize that EAA has some dark sides. Having spent over 20 years working in Non-Profits, I understand the hypocrisy that is a staple of that world. But if there is someone else who could do a better job for less money, bring em on.

It may be like the current Presidential race. What sane person would really want the job?

Doug Koenigsberg
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Tailwind-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Tailwind-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: