Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RunningTemps and Right Roll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony.bale(at)virgin.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Greetings to one and all and a happy new year to you all,
Our bird G-CCUL (mono XS, 912S, with Warp Drive circa 22 deg) has now completed something around 100 hours flying and we really only have a couple of gripes and I would appreciate input from the forum.
Firstly we have a roll to the right, not bad and the test pilot was certainly not at all concerned but we want hands off flying and are fitting various sized trim tabs to the underside of the left aileron to trim out the effect (having started on the left flap). We believe the flaps are perhaps not quite level but without adjustment this is proving very difficult to measure. The trials and errors continue, but I wonder what other pilots are experiencing - your thoughts?
Secondly, and to be honest this is the real annoying one, we are suffering with very low oil and coolant temperatures. I brought this up some time ago but had very few responses. As the temperature outside are lower now, we wondered if anyone else has the same problems and what your solutions were.
We get the coolant and oil up to temperature - 100deg before take-off (we fitted Evans coolant, this increased CHT by circa 10 degrees, and makes for a very much more stable cooling system than water based, and pretty much impossible to boil, having boiled the water coolant during a lengthy hold in the summer, I can say that without fear of contradiction it is a very worth while modification) climb out maintains temps but leveling out sees the oil temp drop with a corresponding drop in oil pressure. If we decend or reduce power below 5000rpm the temps fall away to 60 - 70 oil, 70 -80 coolant and are almost impossible to recover in flight. We have tried blanking off the main inlet, and closing the oil tank inlet. Unless you almost completely blank off the main inlet their is little effect (this cures cruise but effects ground handling).
We are investigating a flap behind the radiators which will be operated from within the cockpit, but obviously nothing is approved so this needs to be attempted with care and thought. During the build we went to great lengths to optimize the air inlets, ramp the air into the rads instead of around etc, and it would appear we have done too good a job !!
we are fairly sure the guages are in the right ball park and even during the summer we experienced over cooling, with the current temps its an absolute night mare !! Any thoughts good people ?
As an aside to all you builders reading the comments about problems, don't despare, our Europa is no doubt like everybody elses, a delight to fly, handles beautifully and uses next to no fuel. Just take a pragmatic approach to all the views expressed (IMHO ofcourse).
Best wishes
Tony.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
paul.mcallister(at)qia.ne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Hi Tony,
Does your aircraft drop the right wing in a stall with both flaps up and
flaps down. Is it the same amount ?
Paul

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bryan(at)blackballclub.co

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Hi Tony.
My Europa is the same format as yours. You can set it up to be 'hands free'
in any particular power and weight configuration, but changing power
significantly, or carrying a heavy passenger will spoil the hands free
state. I have tried a clip-on elevator trim for use with a passenger, and it
works until I forget it. I installed an adjustable knicker elastic restraint
on the control stick, and that works, but I don't use it now ( I could never
get on with that stuff). I find that a bit of rudder pressure sorts the
thing out.
Regarding the cold running. Again my solution is a bit boring. Blank off
half of the over-generous radiator in the winter, and take it out when the
weather turns warmer. I use a bit of right angled coving from a kitchen work
surface.
Enjoy flying.
Bryan

flyinggpa(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Tony
Your role trim is normal I think. I built a 2"x8" tab into the port aileron. It is adjustable from the cockpit and is very useful. Pictures are included at europaowners.org . Your low temperature would be normal for my Rotax. I am not worried about it. Much better than to hot !
Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

tony.bale(at)virgin.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Hi Cliff,
We are thinking long and hard about in flight adjustable trim
tab, due to the effect of pilot / passenger combinations, but PFA approval
will probably can that idea.
With regard to temps, with the engine on cold oil it feels much harsher and
oil pressure drops, so we are working hard to fix the issue, but I was
interested to see other angles of thought !
ATB
Tony.

tony.bale(at)virgin.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Paul,
The stall is extremely benign and the aircraft does absolutely
nothing it
shouldn't, as confirmed by our test pilot (was CAA chief test pilot at the
time I think) and John Brownlow who did our conversions, vastly experienced
on type, so no clues their !!
Tony.

tony.bale(at)virgin.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Bryan Thanks for the comments, interesting autopilot you have !
You are quite correct, when we dial out the wing drop with a trim tab you
need to apply right rudder (just a touch) and the situation is extremely
dependant on pilot / passenger ratio.
However all the trim tabs and a touch of rudder decays all the efficiency we
have tried to obtain !!
ATB
Tony.

bryan(at)blackballclub.co

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Thanks Tony, At last, I feel fulfilled in life!
Don't worry about the efficiency aspect, it is minimal (if you are not too
obsessive).
Cheers Bryan

europaflyer_3(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Tony,
There are at least two PFA approved trim-tab installations in the UK - Mike
Parkin has a cut-out tab and is flying, I have a hinge-type tab behind the
aileron TE but am not flying yet.
They're not 'all of type', but they may help you get your own approval
through.
Regards,
Jeremy
Jeremy Davey
Europa Monowheel 537M G-EZZA
Europa Club Vice-Chairman, Webmaster, PFA NC Representative
PFA EC Member
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then it is
possible you haven't grasped the severity of the situation."
Tail done
Standard XS wings with mods underway
CM installed in fuse (with airbrakes fittings)
1430 build hours to date, build currently stalled due to house moves and
lack of workshop
Intended fit:
Rotax 914 turbo, Airmaster CS fully-feathering prop
Lots of lights, buttons, switches, gizmos, and alarms

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Tony, If you fit a Navaid that comes with its own adjustable trim, quite
apart from making long distance cruising easier and safer and being a good
back up for that day when you inadvertently find yourself in IMC. Regards,
David Joyce, G-XSDJ

tony.bale(at)virgin.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: RunningTemps and Right Roll Reply with quote

Thanks David, food for thought.... We are thinking around an in flight
adjustable via a metal geared model aircraft servo - but that is very early
days - approval and all that to consider (and making it look good ofcourse
!).
ATB
Tony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: