Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O-360A1A Longevity?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Cochran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: O-360A1A Longevity? Reply with quote

Folks in the know...

Please weigh in on this. If one were to push the longevity of a 2000 SMOH O-360 by doing a top overhaul, what would be a reasonable expectation of time remaining? Given excellent care, would another 500-1000 hrs be unreasonable? I've seen various anecdotes of 3000+ hrs, and I realize there would be a ton of variables...

If one did this, what would the best warning signs of impending trouble be, besides increased oil usage, lack of power, etc?

Inquiring minds...

Thanks,

Jerry Cochran

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. [url=http:010]Try it now[/url].
[quote][b]

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
tomflysalot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: O-360A1A Longevity? Reply with quote

Jerry,

The biggest issues with Lycomings relate to the cam & lifters. If an
engine has been properly maintained (changing the oil frequently, running
it 75-100 hours per year, with no significant down-times), it may go well
beyond TBO. Keep an eye on the filter and screen for tiny metal
particles (signs of cam lifter failure) and keep an eye on oil
temperatures and pressures. Fluctuations of pressures could be
preliminary indications of bearing problems (the next indication could be
a siezed engine, so this is important).

Most operators who go well beyond TBO are flying their aircraft well and
consistently. Another factor is chronolgical age. Gaskets and seals
can degrade (especially in a dry environment) and Lycoming suggests 12
years is a max. While many engines go beyond 12 years, anything rubber
(hoses, gaskets, and seals), may not make it that long. Even the rubber
manufacturers put an life expectancy on their products of 8-10 years.
There is, obviously a reason for these numbers.

Good Luck,

Tom

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bill(at)kidzploration.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: O-360A1A Longevity? Reply with quote

I have 320 and it was starting to show ware on the mains at 1200. just dumb luck it was found before the crank was ruined . The oil was changed on on time. there was no abuse.
I also know of many 3000 hour engines.
I'm sure this is of little help, such as it is.
W.F. Taft

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:24 PM, <Jerry2DT(at)aol.com (Jerry2DT(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] Folks in the know...

Please weigh in on this. If one were to push the longevity of a 2000 SMOH O-360 by doing a top overhaul, what would be a reasonable expectation of time remaining? Given excellent care, would another 500-1000 hrs be unreasonable? I've seen various anecdotes of 3000+ hrs, and I realize there would be a ton of variables...

If one did this, what would the best warning signs of impending trouble be, besides increased oil usage, lack of power, etc?

Inquiring minds...

Thanks,

Jerry Cochran

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. [url=http:010]Try it now[/url].
Quote:

[b]

azevedoflyer(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: O-360A1A Longevity? Reply with quote

JC,
What kill our engines is corrosion.
Many say cam and lifters are the Achilles heel of all opposed Lycomings. This might be so but modern oils formulation can and do take care of this.
Keep an eye on that oil pressure gage. Make a mental note of what is normal under similar conditions. Every time "similar conditions" apply, check it
Slowly but surely, you will notice a decrease in pressure. Check what is the minimum value prescribed and stop for a bearing change (conrod) at that point.
Otherwise, if you can start it in the morning without much problem, keep flying. A completely worn out power cylinder will still perform within 20HP of the original value. Surprisingly, perhaps.
My O-320 A2B has about 650h SMOH. At 180 F oil temp / 300 F #3 Cyl. head temp / 2100 rpm / Aviator 100 (monograde), the indicated pressure is 70+ psi.
Cheers,
Miguel Azevedo
N8714D
PA22/20-150
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:24 PM, <Jerry2DT(at)aol.com (Jerry2DT(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] Folks in the know...

Inquiring minds...

Thanks,

Jerry Cochran

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.
Quote:

[b]

psamuelian(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: O-360A1A Longevity? Reply with quote

Jerry:
I would concur with the observations of Tom regarding lifters and cam.
Just want to relate another data point with my experience...
1. My plane had O360A1A that was new in 1969 with around 900TT when I purchesed it
2. Plane had been out of annual for around 12 years, but was serviced twice a year with oil and engine run.
3. Completed oil pump AD, so accessory case gasket was replaced. Also replaced crank seal
4. Put around 400 hours on it and started seeing higher oil consumption (no chips)
5. Had issue due to cracked plastic pushrod tube
6. Put another 200 hours on it (no chips) and decided to pull a jug during annual to assess internals due to compression anomolies
7. Several mechanics looked and there were mixed feelings and predictions (50-200 hours left) about condition of cam
8. Decided to overhaul (first time since new) at 1500TT (still no chips)

I attribute the low time before overhaul to the lack of use over the years.
However, there were no major leaks noted that could be attributed to gasket failure except the crank gasket noted above. 

FWIW
Phil
Cessna 177 / RV7 tail

Folks in the know...

Please weigh in on this. If one were to push the longevity of a 2000 SMOH 
      O-360 by doing a top overhaul, what would be a reasonable expectation of time 
      remaining?
[quote][b]

flyinwithme99(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: O-360A1A Longevity? Reply with quote

Please also remember that most of the dollars in an overhaul are in the top end. Might check and see what more you would spend to go through the bottom end now.

To: lycomingengines-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 1:24:55 PM
Subject: O-360A1A Longevity?

Folks in the know...

Inquiring minds...

Thanks,

Jerry Cochran

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.
[quote]

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: