Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

I am glad to know that you have verified that with such a calibrated instrument Dennis. I sure would like to have one of those things! You were also correct about the P vs. the PF deal. I hate to be wrong, but it appears that I clearly was, and Kevin was there to verify it from the very beginning!

Mark Bitterlich

From: A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 4:15:46 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power?

DIV { MARGIN:0px;} I acquired the "fix" from our friend George Coy.

All good input Mark. I also agree one can pull the throttle back until one can see a slight decrease in MP and save fuel. This is proven by watching the JPI fuel flow instrument installed in my airplane as well as others.

Dennis

[quote] ---

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List
nc69666(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

No it is not inherent to all Radials. Have a lot of time behind them and the are usually smooth as can be on throttle application, unless something is not operating correctly or out of adjustment.. Gary CJ, N22YK

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nc69666(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Kevin, You are correct that Pressure Carbs develope Carb Ice, I have had it happen on a Navion with a E-225 , and a Bendix PS-5 Carb,. It happend on taxi and warm up. it was a chilly morning and a bit of ground fog was hanging around the airport, Was running the engine at 1200 RPM to wait for the oil temp to come up. all of a sudden the engine began to get slightly rough so I waited and watched the Tach start dropping off RPM, let it get ot about 900 RPM and then pulled the carb heat on, within just a few seconds the RPM came back up to 1200.. So gentelman, Pressure Carbs will develop Carb Ice..

Gary... CJ, N22YK

--

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Actually Mark, the JPI FS-450G is relatively inexpensive. Gulf Coast and Pacific Coast Avionics are/were offering a $175 mail-in rebate making the instrument about $305. LOTS of information for $305. Easy install. If you decide to order one, make sure you order the FS-450G because the "G" instrument includes the Floscan model 231 transducer.
Dennis
[quote] ---

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

GREAT INFO!

Thanks!

Mark

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 9:25:46 AM

DIV { MARGIN:0px;} Actually Mark, the JPI FS-450G is relatively inexpensive. Gulf Coast and Pacific Coast Avionics are/were offering a $175 mail-in rebate making the instrument about $305. LOTS of information for $305. Easy install. If you decide to order one, make sure you order the FS-450G because the "G" instrument includes the Floscan model 231 transducer.
Dennis
[quote] ---

eddiemoranii(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Not that anyone cares.... but just to add to our knowledge base. My M14 is a "B", had the same problem and was cured by the jet mod.

Eddie Moran

--- On Mon, 12/22/08, Yak Pilot <yakplt(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
[quote]From: Yak Pilot <yakplt(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 1:31 PM

GREAT INFO!

Thanks!

Mark

#yiv1188514940 DIV { MARGIN:0px;} Actually Mark, the JPI FS-450G is relatively inexpensive. Gulf Coast and Pacific Coast Avionics are/were offering a $175 mail-in rebate making the instrument about $305. LOTS of information for $305. Easy install. If you decide to order one, make sure you order the FS-450G because the "G" instrument includes the Floscan model 231 transducer.
Dennis
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

By the "same problem" I was referring to the hesitation when "advancing" the thrust lever.

--- On Mon, 12/22/08, Eddie Moran <eddiemoranii(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
[quote]From: Eddie Moran <eddiemoranii(at)yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: M14PEngines-List: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power?
Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 1:45 PM

Not that anyone cares.... but just to add to our knowledge base. My M14 is a "B", had the same problem and was cured by the jet mod.

Eddie Moran

--- On Mon, 12/22/08, Yak Pilot <yakplt(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
[quote]From: Yak Pilot <yakplt(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 1:31 PM

GREAT INFO!

Thanks!

Mark

#yiv881181695 #yiv1188514940 DIV { MARGIN:0px;} Actually Mark, the JPI FS-450G is relatively inexpensive. Gulf Coast and Pacific Coast Avionics are/were offering a $175 mail-in rebate making the instrument about $305. LOTS of information for $305. Easy install. If you decide to order one, make sure you order the FS-450G because the "G" instrument includes the Floscan model 231 transducer.
Dennis
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Eddie, the B and the P have the same carburetor. The only difference between the B and the P is the nose case. R and R the nose case on the B with a nose case from a P and you have a P engine.
Dennis

[quote] ---

george(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Dennis,
I do not pretend to know all the differences between the engines, but I do know the M14P and M14B have a lot of differences including the carburetor. Simply changing nose cases does not do it. The M14B was not intended for aerobatic use and needs some internal changes to allow for inverted operations. The accessory case drive and the oil pump are different.

Be careful about these things.

George Coy
Coy Aircraft Sales
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)
SKYPE george.coy

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 4:59 PM

Eddie, the B and the P have the same carburetor. The only difference between the B and the P is the nose case. R and R the nose case on the B with a nose case from a P and you have a P engine.
Dennis

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

I appreciate the enlightenment George. Up until your email and based on other inputs from some pretty well informed people (at least I thought so anyway), I deduced the B could be made into a P by simply changing the nose case. I surely won't make that mistake again.
Dennis

[quote] ---

george(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

The only reason that I am a little familiar with this is that we had several new M14B engines converted to M14PF engines for a customer a few years ago. The work was done at Motorstar, the Romanian factory. The were surprised at the many differences and commented that the internal accessory drive shafts and gears were much more substantial than the M14P shafts and gears. I also know that the few M14B instillations have had trouble with the oil pump fittings clearing the motor mounts.

George Coy
Coy Aircraft Sales
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
SKYPE george.coy

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:21 AM

I appreciate the enlightenment George. Up until your email and based on other inputs from some pretty well informed people (at least I thought so anyway), I deduced the B could be made into a P by simply changing the nose case. I surely won't make that mistake again.
Dennis

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info George.
Merry Christmas,
Dennis
[quote] ---

mikspin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

George or Monty,

Can you comment on the M14B or D having different cam profiles and if so, does it affect their rated horsepower?

Also, Monty, in your discussions with the Vendenyev guys, did you talk about the reverse loading deal? As you well know, you see plenty of that in competition acro as opposed to airshow stuff(not that there's an absence of it in airshows either).

Thanks

Mike Hastings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Back in May of 2007 there was a thread on Matronics M14 List about the Manifold pressure that I was getting on my M14B. I was getting about 905 mm Hg which seemed high. Here is a response from Dennis on that subject.

Quote:
[b]Eddie,What RPM are you seeing and what RPM are you setting with the prop governor? The M14P should develop about 880 MM (+,- 10) at sea level, on a standard day at WOT. 905 seems a bit high, but that could also be due to the accuracy or calibration of the manifold pressure gauge. What does the Manifold pressure gauge read with the engine shut down?Dennis""[/b]I am wondering now if the "B" might really be putting out quite a bit more power? I think Dennis or George mentioned that the supercharger on a "B"was 8.65/1 instead of 8/1.Anyway, my Moose does not go
inverted (at least on purpose) and the engine seems to be very strong.Merry Christmas to all,Eddie Moran[b][/b]

--- On Tue, 12/23/08, mikspin <acromike(at)gmail.com> wrote:
[quote]From: mikspin <acromike(at)gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power?
Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 10:08 AM

[quote]--> M14PEngines-List message posted by: "mikspin"
<acromike(at)gmail.com>

George or Monty,

Can you comment on the M14B or D having different cam profiles and if so, does
it affect their rated horsepower?

Also, Monty, in your discussions with the Vendenyev guys, did you talk about
the reverse loading deal? As you well know, you see plenty of that in
competition acro as opposed to [quote][b]

george(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

The M14D does have a different profile on the cam. These engines were our
creation of turning a helicopter engine into an experimental aircraft
engine.
George Coy
Coy Aircraft Sales
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
george.coy(at)gmail.com
SKYPE george.coy

--

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Never confirmed personally, and I wish someone who knows for sure WOULD say so, but I also heard that the "B" ,model spins the blower harder. Not sure of the exact ratio but between the P and PF speed.

Mark Bitterlich

Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:23:23 AM

Thanks for the info George.
Merry Christmas,
Dennis
[quote] ---

MarkWDavis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Here's the info I found from several different sources:

M14P           M14B
Blower ratio: 8.16 to 1   8.65 to 1
Comp ratio: 6.3 to 1     6.2 to 1
HP: 290 continuous       300 continuous
HP: 360 for 10 minutes   350 for 30 minutes

A little higher blower ratio traded for a little lower compression ratio. Maybe so you can run it at the higher continuous power settings for a longer period?

Mark Davis
N44YK

[quote] ---

danhorton(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

I dunno know nothin' about nothin'.....but I would like to wish all my
friends here a very Merry Christmas!

Dan Horton

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

Wasn't the B model intended for helicoptor use? If so, then what you said would make sense.

Thanks for confirming the info Mark

Merry Christmas!

Mark Bitterlich

Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:12:46 PM

DIV { MARGIN:0px;} Here's the info I found from several different sources:

M14P M14B
Blower ratio: 8.16 to 1 8.65 to 1
Comp ratio: 6.3 to 1 6.2 to 1
HP: 290 continuous 300 continuous
HP: 360 for 10 minutes 350 for 30 minutes

A little higher blower ratio traded for a little lower compression ratio. Maybe so you can run it at the higher continuous power settings for a longer period?

Mark Davis
N44YK

[quote] ---

george(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Why would my Yak 52 m14p lose power? Reply with quote

The Kamov Helicopter was designated the M14 V26. It was my understanding that the M14B was produced for the AN14 light twin. (despite the wickapedia entry)

George Coy
Coy Aircraft Sales
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
SKYPE george.coy

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Yak Pilot
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:10 PM

Wasn't the B model intended for helicoptor use? If so, then what you said would make sense.

Thanks for confirming the info Mark

Merry Christmas!

Mark Bitterlich

Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:12:46 PM

DIV { MARGIN: 0px } Here's the info I found from several different sources:

M14P           M14B
Blower ratio: 8.16 to 1   8.65 to 1
Comp ratio: 6.3 to 1     6.2 to 1
HP: 290 continuous       300 continuous
HP: 360 for 10 minutes   350 for 30 minutes

Mark Davis
N44YK

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: