Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4 pipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSampson.SLN21(at)london.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: 4 pipes Reply with quote

I am mulling over the exhaust system and cross-overs .v. 4 pipes. Clearly the 4-pipe is cheaper. Is it also noisier? (Much?) Are there any other considerations?
Thanks, Steve

- The Matronics RV4-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List
sawad13(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: 4 pipes Reply with quote

The 4 pipes are a good bit louder than the 2 pipe systems. Other than that I
don't know which one is better.
Ron Awad
Quote:
Reply-To: rv4-list(at)matronics.com
To: <rv4-list(at)matronics.com>, <RV-4(at)yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RV4-List: 4 pipes
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:37:42 -0000
I am mulling over the exhaust system and cross-overs .v. 4 pipes. Clearly
the 4-pipe is cheaper. Is it also noisier? (Much?) Are there any other
considerations?
Thanks, Steve

On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to
get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dealfair(at)usawide.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: 4 pipes Reply with quote

Hi Steve, I don't believe there is any question that the "4 pipes" is louder. I personally don't believe it is too much louder, but I like listening to aircraft engines. The 4 pipes have a "different" tone---it is difficult to articulate. They are pretty popular---try to hear a set before you leap. I believe the 4 pipes gives one easier access to your engine as it is not wrapped up in pipes and the straights are easier to manage. My opinion.
As to cost, be sure to order directly from Vetterman. Gene Smith told me to do so after I had ordered from Vans. I called Vans, Van called Vetterman, got the box---didn't even open it, packed it in another box, added $100.00 and $4.00 for handling and then shipped it to me at my cost. Merry Christmas Van!!! My only gripe is that he could have at least unpacked it out of Vetterman's box and not made me feel quite so stupid! Would have returned them, but want to mount them this weekend.
Good Luck
Deal Fair
George West, TX
Do Not Archive

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: 4 pipes Reply with quote

Steve,
My Vetterman 4-pipe is now 10 years old and approaching 1500 hours. Works good, lasts a long time. It's been known by race car guys forever that tuned exhaust with individual pipes for each cyllinder is the most efficient form of exhaust gas expulsion for horsepower scavenging. I am convinced the Vetterman 4-pipe achieves this better than any other system and does sound great as a side benefit. I took the advice of a Reno racer and clipped the pipe tips where they exit the airstream at a 45 degree angle for efficiency. There are aftermarket tips which are squeezed oblong and have vent holes, supposedly THE most efficient form of scavenging.
My bottom line is the pipes haven't cracked or given me any problems in 10 years of hard use and one slightly loose slip joint is the only sign of age. One consideration is exit area from your cowling. I trimmed 2 inches off the back of the lower aft cowling lip to allow more room for exit air. I also broke Larry's rule and ceramic coated the pipes, lowering the temps across the board 20 degrees, including the cockpit.They look great too but Larry told me they are very difficult to weld with the coating.
My 2 pennies...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: