Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update from 56

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Update from 56 Reply with quote

Hello
My business partner and I own an aircraft maintenance company. We are working towards the restoration side of the trade and would like to feature updated avionics and electrical systems as an option to original equipment.

We have our company 1956 Tripacer that we are using as a learning tool and advertisement. The plane is down to the bare frame and I am starting the planning process for the electrical system.

We are looking for ideas on updating the electrical system. we plan on all new wiring, single point ground, and possibly EFIS or a variation. The generator is coming off and an alternator is going on.

We would like to replace the original nav light/dimmer combination switch and possibly re-design the aux fuel transfer system which is a pull cable with a switch (pull the knob - the cable opens the fuel valve and the switch turns on the pump).

Parts for these older planes are getting harder to find and are quite expensive, this is our reason for wanting to update the systems plus technology has given us better products to work with.

This isn't an experimental plane so we will have to do paperwork on everything we do.

I would appreciate your thoughts and comments

Gary

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Bruce(at)glasair.org

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Update from 56 Reply with quote

Have you run these ideas by your local FSDO? You're in for a rude shock.

Bruce
www.Glasair.org

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Update from 56 Reply with quote

Nothing is impossible. There are a number of 6 cylinder Tigers out
there.

I just completed an STC for a completely new, firewall forward,
fiberglass cowling for a Tiger. It took 8 years (from concept to
completion) and over $100,000, but it's finished.

The only problem you might run into is the EFIS. Get a DER that knows
what he's doing (that's the hard part).

It might take a while but it will be worth it; if only for the
satisfaction of having done it.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 1, 2009, at 9:30 AM, "Bruce Gray" <Bruce(at)glasair.org> wrote:

[quote]

Have you run these ideas by your local FSDO? You're in for a rude
shock.

Bruce
www.Glasair.org

--

jetech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Update from 56 Reply with quote

I understand the concern of working with FSDO but there is no point in talking with them until we have design data worked out.

Presentation, research, and fact are key in pushing major alterations through. We have a good FSDO and my partner is a DAR and has worked with them extensively.

If we can present some good design ideas I think we have a good chance getting approval.

With these old airplanes being restored to like new or better and an ever decreasing supply of original parts I think the FAA is going to see more pressure to allow updating and modifications.

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Update from 56 Reply with quote

There is always part 121

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 1, 2009, at 12:33 PM, "jetech" <av8tor(at)hughes.net> wrote:

Quote:

I understand the concern of working with FSDO but there is no point
in talking with them until we have design data worked out.

Presentation, research, and fact are key in pushing major
alterations through. We have a good FSDO and my partner is a DAR and
has worked with them extensively.

If we can present some good design ideas I think we have a good
chance getting approval.

With these old airplanes being restored to like new or better and an
ever decreasing supply of original parts I think the FAA is going to
see more pressure to allow updating and modifications.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 22221#222221

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: