Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nav antenna chice and placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weeav8ter(at)grandecom.ne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Nav antenna chice and placement Reply with quote

I see from various pictures on the web that several of you RV10's flying have put, what I think is, the nav antenna underneath
the fuselage in the rear. Is this also your ILS glideslope antenna and if so have you had any difficulty with reception
while shooting an ILS? Normally they have them< I've been told, on the top of the VS because of better reception of the glideslope. 

Wayne Edgerton # 40336

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Nav antenna chice and placement Reply with quote

Yes, it's my VOR/LOC/GS antenna. Works great in all aspects. I
thought the bottom side location would be better than the top
due to a better view of the station. Not sure how true that
is. I thought they were put on top to prevent eye poking.
Not sure though.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
Wayne Edgerton wrote:
Quote:
I see from various pictures on the web that several of you RV10's flying
have put, what I think is, the nav antenna underneath
the fuselage in the rear. Is this also your ILS glideslope antenna and
if so have you had any difficulty with reception
while shooting an ILS? Normally they have them< I've been told, on the
top of the VS because of better reception of the glideslope.

Wayne Edgerton # 40336

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Nav antenna chice and placement Reply with quote

Most antenna depend on an effective ground plane. There are both
horizontal and vertical polarization factors. On our air carrier fleet,
the vast majority are on the bottom where the signal propagates towards
the transmitter/receiver station. Exceptions are satellite based on the
top and Elt which is on the top of the empennage, thoughts are that the
aircraft will be upright on transmission. A few such as glide slope and
radar are in the nose.

John - $00.02
Do not Archive

--

weeav8ter(at)grandecom.ne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Nav antenna chice and placement Reply with quote

I was told by someone, who's opinion that I trust, that the reason the antenna is on the top
is because when you are on the localizer your nose is pointed down thus somewhat blocking
 the antenna if it's on the bottom rear. That's why he said it's predominantly installed on top of the VS.

I like the idea of putting it on the bottom where it's not so visible and I'm leaning that way.

Wayne Edgerton # 40336

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Nav antenna chice and placement Reply with quote

Put it in the wingtip and it’s not visible at all . . .

TDT

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Wayne Edgerton
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 8:57 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Nav antenna chice and placement

I was told by someone, who's opinion that I trust, that the reason the antenna is on the top

is because when you are on the localizer your nose is pointed down thus somewhat blocking

the antenna if it's on the bottom rear. That's why he said it's predominantly installed on top of the VS.

I like the idea of putting it on the bottom where it's not so visible and I'm leaning that way.

Wayne Edgerton # 40336

LessDragProd(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Nav antenna chice and placement Reply with quote

How about the invisible Bob Archer wingtip NAV antenna, as already mentioned.
Bob Archer's antenna is a gamma antenna.  The whole airframe is the ground plane.

It does work better than either the top or bottom mounted VOR dipole pair.

Just my $.02
Jim Ayers

In a message dated 03/27/2006 6:01:13 AM Pacific Standard Time, weeav8ter(at)grandecom.net writes:
Quote:

Wayne Edgerton # 40336

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: