Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

447 spark plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: 447 spark plugs Reply with quote

Does anyone put anything on the spark plug threads before installing? I can't find anything in the manual, nor in Lockwood's book. Also, torque is given at 240 in./lbs., but where it mentions the cylinder head temp sender it says 195 in./lbs. Do you use a heat sink compound? This is on a 447.

Bill Sullivan
    Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: 447 spark plugs Reply with quote

Bill,
It's useful to put a small amount of anti-seize compound on the threads
and I only go 10 ft lbs on the plugs.
This will keep them from corroding in place, galling the aluminum and
damaging the threads on plug removal.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

william sullivan wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone put anything on the spark plug threads before
installing? I can't find anything in the manual, nor in Lockwood's
book. Also, torque is given at 240 in./lbs., but where it mentions
the cylinder head temp sender it says 195 in./lbs. Do you use a heat
sink compound? This is on a 447.

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: 447 spark plugs Reply with quote

Thanks, Larry. You don't have any trouble with the plug loosening at 1/2 torque?

Bill Sullivan
      Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: 447 spark plugs Reply with quote

Never ever had a plug come loose. Something else would be in play if
that happened.

Larry McFarland

william sullivan wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Larry. You don't have any trouble with the plug loosening
at 1/2 torque?

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 447 spark plugs Reply with quote

If you follow Rotax school teachings 2 stroke plugs are to be installed dry. Nothing is to applied to the threads especially anti seize. If you screw them in by hand you will never mess up the threads. Just don't try and drive them in with a wrench until they are seated. The plugs are to be torqued to 238 in/lbs and only torque them on a cold engine. Even on the Rotax 912's anti seize on the threads is a no no. You are supposed to use heat conducting paste on 912 plug threads. The paste can be obtained from several sources. One of them is Lockwood Aviation and it's dirt cheap.
I highly recommend that everyone one that has a Rotax engine attend a Rotax school whether you own a 2 stroke or 912. The school for the 2 stroke is only 2 days and is offered around the US. It will be well worth your time and the cost of the class and should keep you from causing more damage to your pocketbook than the class cost. Plus these classes will keep you in the air and keep your engine running to TBO and beyond. As of 2001 Rotax had built over 5 million engines. I think it is time for all of us to admit they really know what they are doing and the reasons why they may be different than your other engines you may own.

I'm not trying to jab anyone, but trying to save some headaches and money. I have spent my time in classes with these guys for years and have seen the light and the damage from others.

Just trying to help.....

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: