Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

coolant problems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dashwood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: coolant problems? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could help with this problem. I have had the coolant overflow bottle empty itself for the second time over a period of 50 hours of engine time, 250 tt. the first time was last august shortly after i purchased the plane and the second time was after 1.5 hour flight last week. it is always on my preflight check so i know the bottle was full and the emptying is not gradual. the main gally still had fluid and i havn't notice any extream fluctuations in temp. I did notice this time a small amount of oily sludge/residue in the bottom of the bottle(aprox 1/8 tsp). I am not sure of the cap presure rating but the seals looks clean. I am using the pink fluid 50/50 mix from General moters. in a car engine this would indicate a blown headgasket.. Thoughts please.

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: coolant problems? Reply with quote

Last year, I lost fluid from the bottle and found the plastic had sprung
a leak being against a rivet head.
There was a black layer of crud on the bottom of the bottle that turned
out to be rubber from the hoses.
If your flying, it's likely you've got a leak at the bottle or on the
return hoses if you're not seeing any wet
spots. Seepage at the overflow bottle can usually be found on the
firewall and is the first suspect.
I replaced my bottle from an O'Reilly's auto store.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

dashwood wrote:
Quote:

I was wondering if anyone could help with this problem. I have had the coolant overflow bottle empty itself for the second time over a period of 50 hours of engine time, 250 tt. the first time was last august shortly after i purchased the plane and the second time was after 1.5 hour flight last week. it is always on my preflight check so i know the bottle was full and the emptying is not gradual. the main gally still had fluid and i havn't notice any extream fluctuations in temp. I did notice this time a small amount of oily sludge/residue in the bottom of the bottle(aprox 1/8 tsp). I am not sure of the cap presure rating but the seals looks clean. I am using the pink fluid 50/50 mix from General moters. in a car engine this would indicate a blown headgasket.. Thoughts please.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant problems? Reply with quote

Hi Dash,

You only have a couple of places to look that are the usual suspects. Lets hope it's not the last one.
First tighten all the screw clamps on the coolant hoses. Even if they look fine the water can and will leak under the hose clamp and either blow away or evaporate before you get the chance to find the leak. This happens a lot. It usually won't leak while on the ground because it is not under enough pressure at that setting. Second make sure and put a wrench on the fittings at the radiator and check for tightness. Third check and see if there is any residue under the ports where the water tubes/flanges join the heads. Last, but not least if all these are ok make sure you do not have a water leak at the water pump. If it is here you have a little more to deal with. My bet is the first two. That is where I find 90% of the leaks on my customer planes. Again even if a clamp or fitting looks tight put a wrench on it and give it a "snugness" (technical term) check. Wink

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Martin Pohl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: coolant problems? Reply with quote

Roger

I am installing the coolant, fuel and oil hoses at the moment using rubber hose and Q200 hose clamps (screw type). However I didn't find any recommendations for torquing of the screw clamps. How much do you torque them to get them tight enough, but not to harm the rubber hoses?

Thx, Martin

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: coolant problems? Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

Is the Q200 clamp you are describing a clamp that can split into two pieces with screw/nut on each side? If this is the clamp then picking the appropriate size will be important.
I don't think I have seen anything in print on an exact torque value. You don't want to be cutting down into the hose with the clamp. I would tighten them down until they it is fairly snug. You can't afford to go crazy with the tightening because the regular screw/worm drive clamps will strip and start hopping threads then the clamp has to be replaced. I usually tug on the hose to see if any slipping takes place. Do not pull on the hose so hard as to cause the threads within the hose to break. Then after a long run up or flight I would check for tightness again. After many years of doing this I just use good judgment. Sorry I can't give you a good definitive answer on this one.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
gfmjr_20(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: coolant problems? Reply with quote

Martin--
  Maybe I can be a little more specific than Roger on your question. I've used typical screw type hose clamps on my engines for about 10 years without any failures.
What I use as an indicator of clamp tightness C is the hose bulging  up through the "screw slots" on the clamp. The hose should just begin to rise up through the slots. I also safety wire all clamps.
Hope this helps

George May
601XL 912s

Quote:
Subject: Re: coolant problems?
Date: Mon C 6 Apr 2009 03:16:21 -0700
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Martin Pohl" <mpohl(at)pohltec.ch>

Roger

I am installing the coolant C fuel and oil hoses at the moment using rubber hose and Q200 hose clamps (screw type). However I didn't find any recommendations for torquing of the screw clamps. How much do you torque them to get them tight enough C but not to harm the rubber hoses?

Thx C Martin

--------
Martin Pohl
Zodiac XL QBK
8645 Jona C Switzerland
www.pohltec.ch/ZodiacXL

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=237952#237952

<-= --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
&gt=

[quote]

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. Check it out.
Quote:
[b]

Martin Pohl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: coolant problems? Reply with quote

Roger & George

Thank you for your answers! I appreciate very much to get a "second opinion" on things that I am not completely sure about. I use typical typical screw type clamps (worm screw on one end, open end with slots on the other end). I took the term "Q200" from ACS (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/qs200.php), my clamps are from a european distributor and are stainless.

Thx, Martin

http://www.pohltec.ch/ZodiacXL/Main.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: