Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It is time...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtaddington(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Marcos,
John Towner has an STC to put two light weight gel cell batteries in the 500B, Shrike, and 500U. The batteries are not aircraft batteries but are sealed and do not leak acid. They are bottom to bottom and are on their side. He got the STC back when the FAA still had a few people with some common since. And the back bone to say yes if it worked and was safe. John has been using this STC for something like 10 or 15 years with no problems and a lot of good things. The only difference in the 500B and the 500A are the engines. Some of the “A” models went out the back door and were run back in the front door and made in to “B” models. John sent me the STC and we took it to the FAA here in Fort Worth and he would not approve it.
For the Battery tray try Dallas Air Salvage. Several years back they had two or three Commanders.
Jim A

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Marcos Della
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 5:34 PM
To: commander-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: It is time...

Sorry to jump in here as I am new to the mailing list...

I have a 560 and am trying to find the battery tray (last shop took it out and "lost" mine). Additionally I'm trying to understand what you're looking at doing with two G35s rather than the G50 battery...

Marcos <![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Richard & Jacqui Thompson <RnJThompson(at)aol.com (RnJThompson(at)aol.com)> wrote:
Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
I assume that you want to replace the large battery with something lighter.
I have two G35 batteries in place of the G50. Aero Commander did a service mod years ago. All I did was substitute modern batteries for the models they used. Have all the paperwork here somewhere.
If you are interested I will find it and forward it.
Cheers
Richard

--

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
bobf(at)feldtman.com

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

FAA is amazing in being Jurassic - I put a marine Odyssey battery in my
homebuilt and it is WAY better than any aviation battery I have used. Towner
is a smart guy.. If we love how the FAA does things......... (oh no, I won't
go back down that road)

bobf

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Jim Addington <jtaddington(at)verizon.net>wrote:

[quote] Marcos,

John Towner has an STC to put two light weight gel cell batteries in the
500B, Shrike, and 500U. The batteries are not aircraft batteries but are
sealed and do not leak acid. They are bottom to bottom and are on their
side. He got the STC back when the FAA still had a few people with some
common since. And the back bone to say yes if it worked and was safe. John
has been using this STC for something like 10 or 15 years with no problems
and a lot of good things. The only difference in the 500B and the 500A are
the engines. Some of the “A” models went out the back door and were run back
in the front door and made in to “B” models. John sent me the STC and we
took it to the FAA here in Fort Worth and he would not approve it.

For the Battery tray try Dallas Air Salvage. Several years back they had
two or three Commanders.

Jim A
------------------------------

*From:* owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:
owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *Marcos Della
*Sent:* Monday, May 11, 2009 5:34 PM

*To:* commander-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Re: Re: It is time...

I have a 560 and am trying to find the battery tray (last shop took it out
and "lost" mine). Additionally I'm trying to understand what you're looking
at doing with two G35s rather than the G50 battery...

Marcos

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Richard & Jacqui Thompson <
RnJThompson(at)aol.com> wrote:

Jim & Moe,

Whats the battery story?

I have two G35 batteries in place of the G50. Aero Commander did a service
mod years ago. All I did was substitute modern batteries for the models they
used. Have all the paperwork here somewhere.

Cheers

Richard

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Marcos, I meant to tell you don’t hesitate to jump in here with a question about your plane, that is what this site is all about.
Jim A

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert Feldtman
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 8:28 PM

FAA is amazing in being Jurassic - I put a marine Odyssey battery in my homebuilt and it is WAY better than any aviation battery I have used. Towner is a smart guy.. If we love how the FAA does things......... (oh no, I won't go back down that road)

bobf
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Jim Addington <jtaddington(at)verizon.net (jtaddington(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
Marcos,
John Towner has an STC to put two light weight gel cell batteries in the 500B, Shrike, and 500U. The batteries are not aircraft batteries but are sealed and do not leak acid. They are bottom to bottom and are on their side. He got the STC back when the FAA still had a few people with some common since. And the back bone to say yes if it worked and was safe. John has been using this STC for something like 10 or 15 years with no problems and a lot of good things. The only difference in the 500B and the 500A are the engines. Some of the “A” models went out the back door and were run back in the front door and made in to “B” models. John sent me the STC and we took it to the FAA here in Fort Worth and he would not approve it.
For the Battery tray try Dallas Air Salvage. Several years back they had two or three Commanders.
Jim A

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Marcos Della
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 5:34 PM

To: commander-list(at)matronics.com (commander-list(at)matronics.com)

I have a 560 and am trying to find the battery tray (last shop took it out and "lost" mine). Additionally I'm trying to understand what you're looking at doing with two G35s rather than the G50 battery...

Marcos
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Richard & Jacqui Thompson <RnJThompson(at)aol.com (RnJThompson(at)aol.com)> wrote:
Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
I have two G35 batteries in place of the G50. Aero Commander did a service mod years ago. All I did was substitute modern batteries for the models they used. Have all the paperwork here somewhere.
Cheers
Richard

--

wjrhamilton(at)optusnet.c

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Moe,
I can’t immediately find it, but buried away in the FARs is a general provision to substitute modern gel cell for wet lead acid, it seem to me that, at most, the substitution needs only a field approval.
About the only problem is the difference in weigh, and CofG.
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard & Jacqui Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:00 AM
Subject: RE: Re: It is time...

Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Addington
Sent: Tuesday, 12 May 2009 12:22 AM

Moe,
I am not able to go but am glad you are.
I pestered John to death about the battery set up and he has lost his contacts with the FAA. My AI is going to see if we can use two 12 aircraft gell cell batteries. It is sad that the FAA does not have anyone with enough back bone to say yes.
Jim

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Moe-rosspistons
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 7:17 AM

Folks,

Is anyone other than Linn and Myself going to the NRA convention this week in Phoenix? We will be flying N680RR down on Thursday.

Moe Mills

N680RR

Proud Holder of The Golden Pedal Award

Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:31 PM

Every city, state and country that has banded guns has seen a big increase in crime. If you go to the CHL class and work hard to get it you are not going to do something stupid to lose it, plus, you know better what you can do and had better not do. All the signs that say no guns allowed are telling the crooks that this is a safe place to rob.
Jim

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert Feldtman
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:11 PM

fyi ---

State Representative Joe Driver (R-Garland) would allow Concealed Handgun Licensees to protect themselves on the campuses of public colleges and universities. Campus settings are not "crime-free" zones. Adult students, faculty, staff and visitors who are 21 or older, who pass an extensive state and federal criminal records check, and who complete a rigorous handgun training course, should not be denied their right to self-defense simply because they study, live, work on or visit a college or university campus. CHLs have been lawfully carrying handguns for protection virtually everywhere in Texas for more than a dozen years, and there is no statistical data or evidence that they would suddenly transform into irresponsible criminals if legally allowed to enter a college or university setting.

This important self-defense reform needs to pass this year, before the anti-gun extremists in Washington gain momentum that filters down to the state level. Please call and email your State Representatives and urge them to SUPPORT HB 1893 on the House floor and to OPPOSE any amendments not supported by the bill sponsor.
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Steve W <steve2(at)sover.net (steve2(at)sover.net)> wrote:
Agreed in principle Nico. I've approved of family packing when appropriate, and I know of a couple instances where friends and family both have only had to display some heat to turn away bad people intending to do harm. It is appropriate and constitutionally protected to be able to reasonably defend oneself.

I do think there is a problem inherent in the advance of the technology of 'arms'. When the framers wrote our founding documents, one man with a muzzle loading musket would have a difficult time killing two people. But now it is possible to quickly and efficiently kill lots more people faster. Virginia Tech was 30 something people? Binghamton was 13, Alabama was 10 or eleven? This wsn't done with a Peacemaker. Hundreds of rounds can be fired in minutes. We're now seeing mass killings as a regular occurrence and it isn't even registering, or if it is at all its seen as further evidence we need easier access to more lethal weapons.

The point Nico, is that while I am guaranteed the right to arms, does this right extend without limit? Its just odd how people have been completely inflexible and absolutist when it comes to some constitutional rights, yet perfectly willing to give up on others in the name of being kept safe from terrorist bad guys. Its that fear and safety thing again, maybe. Having easy and unlimited access to any and all weapons make one 'feel' safer, while at the same time on a macrocosmic scale increasing the likelyhood of being killed by them.

You could perform a robbery or murder with a 38 special, or maybe defend yourself, but we're seeing something different happening now. I don't have answers, maybe only questions.

Steve

[quote]
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 8:13 AM

Come on, Steve. Nobody is going to shoot someone solely because there is a gun in his hand. If there is enough motive and demeanor, a killing is fixed, gun or not. Knowing the other guy might also be packing heat has been proven to be an instant sedative.

You would be much more inclined to seek peace with your neighbor through other means, even reasoning with him or getting to like 'new' country music, if you know he has the same hardware that you do. With gun control, you never know what he hides and what he is capable of doing knowing all you have is your cell phone with 911 on your speed dial.

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Steve W
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 4:34 AM
Yes. We were set up as a Republic and should remain so. That's why it was so odd during the last administration to watch so called conservatives cheerleading the seizing and consolidation of Exexcutive and Federal power. It's a great idea if its your guy and in the name of keeping you safe, but no one seemed to consider it might not always be their guy and the rules were set up with the bigger picture in mind. Lower the bar for a President you like, allow him to bypass rule of law and courts, and then panic because the next one you don't like may inherit those similar powers.

I don't know how one avoids having to read the Constitution and determining how to apply the thing. It took over a hundred years for folks to wonder if all men created equal meant women too. Two hundred years later some folks figured they couldn't have meant black people also? Naw...... At the time this looked like a new and activist interpretation to many, and maybe it was. Real freedom isn't just for things I like and approve of.

Keep and bear arms. I'm in a bad mood with an itchy trigger finger and my neighbors playing that vapid 'new' country music again. Even with slugs, the pump 20 isn't a big enough threat. Can I keep a 105mm trained on his house 24 hours a day?

Sooner or later Milt is going to form his Commander list posse and come to get me. If the land mines don't get him first, I've been mixing up home-made anthrax, with scrapings from glowing watches and baby poop. Sure to stop him dead in his tracks...... Is that protected?

Are Federal drug laws ok? What do I care if someone is growing weed in their outhouse.

It is very reassuring to hear of the exodus to Texas. God knows they've got the room. But what are you going to do about Austin?

Steve
[quote]

Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 9:12 PM

that's why the founders set up a Republic - each state has it's own autonomy - except what the constitution says in clear black and white. it is NOT a living document for interpretation. I suggest we all re-read that document.
I've seen more "out of state" license plates here in Texas in the last three months than I have ever seen before. Has the exodus quietly begun?
The Republic of Texas won't have GA user fees! And I can go back to carrying heat in the plane.
bobf
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Steve W <steve2(at)sover.net (steve2(at)sover.net)> wrote:
--> Commander-List message posted by: "Steve W" <steve2(at)sover.net (steve2(at)sover.net)>

I wasn't going to spoil it for David. He's a good sport. And Nico had written a very well thought out post. Even Milt wrote a smart and well balanced one. (Until the other one about the Militia guys maybe not being wackos. They are wackos but should be left alone. And New England and California? That's like mixing a New England version of the Waltons with Baywatch.)

That piece was written to inflame passion, anger and fear; and the real author knew exactly what buttons to push to do so. There is such crazy assed shit being said on all sides, but hardly anyone seems to care if what is said is true or not. I remember pissing off a bunch of the far left about ten years ago over an environmental and farming issue when I had to learn the facts instead of parroting back the crap that was then coming through as faxes.

I learned people were less interested in the truth than reinforcing something they already chose to believe. So a work program becomes evidence of an evil plot designed to create an army of Obama supporters who will seize power and make you honkies listen to better music and eat salad.

It so often comes down to the manipulation and reinforcement of fear. Fear of loss, fear for safety, and the constant warnings now from so many sources pointing out new and dire threats. (I wonder, are pilots as a class more vigilant to identification of threat.) I'm not going to sacrifice everything that's best about us, pervert my values and live in perpetual fear because we're threatened.

To hell with political parties and the moronic sides they make people take. But if a State wants to try some really, really stupid ideas and opt out of Federal laws and programs, I think they should be allowed to. Like now, if the citizens of Texas think guns are really too hard to get and want to opt out of Federal laws designed to keep guns from bad guys, and automatic weapons off the streets... Go for it. Give it a wack and see if if you like it.

I think much of the time it is less right and left than it is rural sensibilities against city requirements. When we were just frontier and people were spread out common sense and little interference makes more sense. With you people breeding like rabbits, too much of the population is packed together like sardines. I'm not so sure rural rules would work in cities, and I wouldn't want to tell those folks what's best for them. Likewise out in the sticks, I like being left alone.

I'll quit now. Been working on a major project way too many weeks in a row. A little punchy.

(Note: the views above definately do not represent those of the swell little company I work for.)

Please resume your regular programming.

Steve

---

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Bill,
I hope you can find that, it might give us something to fight with.
Jim A

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bill Hamilton
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:21 PM

Moe,
I can’t immediately find it, but buried away in the FARs is a general provision to substitute modern gel cell for wet lead acid, it seem to me that, at most, the substitution needs only a field approval.
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard & Jacqui Thompson

Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

--

nico(at)cybersuperstore.c

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

I remember my 500's battery once went flat and a guy with a Centurion gave me a jump. His was a 24 volt system (I think) and it cranked the Lycomings so fast it started faster then it had ever before. I tried without success to get the Commander upgraded to 24 volts or even two of its regular batteries clamped together but nobody in the sticks would make that call. It was a long time ago and I might have some of the details wrong, but I remember the "no", "no", "can't be done", "don't do it" responses I got until I gave up.

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Addington
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 9:03 PM

Bill,
Jim A

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bill Hamilton

Moe,
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

Moe,
I pestered John to death about the battery set up and he has lost his contacts with the FAA. My AI is going to see if we can use two 12 aircraft gell cell batteries. It is sad that the FAA does not have anyone with enough back bone to say yes.
Jim

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Moe-rosspistons

[b]Folks,[/b]

[b]Is anyone other than Linn and Myself going to the NRA convention this week in Phoenix? We will be flying N680RR down on Thursday.[/b]

[b]Moe Mills[/b]

[b]N680RR[/b]

[b]Proud Holder of The Golden Pedal Award[/b]

Every city, state and country that has banded guns has seen a big increase in crime. If you go to the CHL class and work hard to get it you are not going to do something stupid to lose it, plus, you know better what you can do and had better not do. All the signs that say no guns allowed are telling the crooks that this is a safe place to rob.
Jim

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert Feldtman

fyi ---

State Representative Joe Driver (R-Garland) would allow Concealed Handgun Licensees to protect themselves on the campuses of public colleges and universities. Campus settings are not "crime-free" zones. Adult students, faculty, staff and visitors who are 21 or older, who pass an extensive state and federal criminal records check, and who complete a rigorous handgun training course, should not be denied their right to self-defense simply because they study, live, work on or visit a college or university campus. CHLs have been lawfully carrying handguns for protection virtually everywhere in Texas for more than a dozen years, and there is no statistical data or evidence that they would suddenly transform into irresponsible criminals if legally allowed to enter a college or university setting.

This important self-defense reform needs to pass this year, before the anti-gun extremists in Washington gain momentum that filters down to the state level. Please call and email your State Representatives and urge them to SUPPORT HB 1893 on the House floor and to OPPOSE any amendments not supported by the bill sponsor.
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Steve W <steve2(at)sover.net (steve2(at)sover.net)> wrote:
Agreed in principle Nico. I've approved of family packing when appropriate, and I know of a couple instances where friends and family both have only had to display some heat to turn away bad people intending to do harm. It is appropriate and constitutionally protected to be able to reasonably defend oneself.

I do think there is a problem inherent in the advance of the technology of 'arms'. When the framers wrote our founding documents, one man with a muzzle loading musket would have a difficult time killing two people. But now it is possible to quickly and efficiently kill lots more people faster. Virginia Tech was 30 something people? Binghamton was 13, Alabama was 10 or eleven? This wsn't done with a Peacemaker. Hundreds of rounds can be fired in minutes. We're now seeing mass killings as a regular occurrence and it isn't even registering, or if it is at all its seen as further evidence we need easier access to more lethal weapons.

The point Nico, is that while I am guaranteed the right to arms, does this right extend without limit? Its just odd how people have been completely inflexible and absolutist when it comes to some constitutional rights, yet perfectly willing to give up on others in the name of being kept safe from terrorist bad guys. Its that fear and safety thing again, maybe. Having easy and unlimited access to any and all weapons make one 'feel' safer, while at the same time on a macrocosmic scale increasing the likelyhood of being killed by them.

You could perform a robbery or murder with a 38 special, or maybe defend yourself, but we're seeing something different happening now. I don't have answers, maybe only questions.

Steve

[quote]
---

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Jim,
It shouldn’t be too much of a problem, down here most of the small turbo-props have ditched NiCad’s or lead acid wet batteries – big Gills, for Hawker Energy cells, they are cheaper per unit, comparing like for like, better starting current and capacity, and more starts per battery, and now their use is spreading to smaller GA aircraft.

In something like a Metro, the weight saving is quite significant, and nobody with a little turbo-prop wants hot starts from a geriatric battery.
One big Gill (AUD $1800) is replaced by 4 Hawker cells (AUD$ 800) and you have all the other benefits, particularly the cool starts.

In my 500A, I will be using two 12V Hawker cells for the 24v system, compared to the Gills that were there, about 50% more capacity, but given the battery weights, it will be interesting when we weigh the aeroplane. All I will need is our equivalent of a Form 337, but given the “approvals” of the Hawker Energy cells, you might not have to, it is almost “substituting brands”.

I use a “worn out” ex-Metro one for my 12v soldering iron, an added bonus of “free” power.

Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:03 PM

Bill,
Jim A

Moe,
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

Moe,
Jim

Folks,

Is anyone other than Linn and Myself going to the NRA convention this week in Phoenix? We will be flying N680RR down on Thursday.

Moe Mills

N680RR

Jim

fyi ---

Steve

[quote]

Come on, Steve. Nobody is going to shoot someone solely because there is a gun in his hand. If there is enough motive and demeanor, a killing is fixed, gun or not. Knowing the other guy might also be packing heat has been proven to be an instant sedative.

You would be much more inclined to seek peace with your neighbor through other means, even reasoning with him or getting to like 'new' country music, if you know he has the same hardware that you do. With gun control, you never know what he hides and what he is capable of doing knowing all you have is your cell phone with 911 on your speed dial.

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Steve W
Yes. We were set up as a Republic and should remain so. That's why it was so odd during the last administration to watch so called conservatives cheerleading the seizing and consolidation of Exexcutive and Federal power. It's a great idea if its your guy and in the name of keeping you safe, but no one seemed to consider it might not always be their guy and the rules were set up with the bigger picture in mind. Lower the bar for a President you like, allow him to bypass rule of law and courts, and then panic because the next one you don't like may inherit those similar powers.

I don't know how one avoids having to read the Constitution and determining how to apply the thing. It took over a hundred years for folks to wonder if all men created equal meant women too. Two hundred years later some folks figured they couldn't have meant black people also? Naw...... At the time this looked like a new and activist interpretation to many, and maybe it was. Real freedom isn't just for things I like and approve of.

Keep and bear arms. I'm in a bad mood with an itchy trigger finger and my neighbors playing that vapid 'new' country music again. Even with slugs, the pump 20 isn't a big enough threat. Can I keep a 105mm trained on his house 24 hours a day?

Sooner or later Milt is going to form his Commander list posse and come to get me. If the land mines don't get him first, I've been mixing up home-made anthrax, with scrapings from glowing watches and baby poop. Sure to stop him dead in his tracks...... Is that protected?

Are Federal drug laws ok? What do I care if someone is growing weed in their outhouse.

It is very reassuring to hear of the exodus to Texas. God knows they've got the room. But what are you going to do about Austin?

Steve
[quote]

that's why the founders set up a Republic - each state has it's own autonomy - except what the constitution says in clear black and white. it is NOT a living document for interpretation. I suggest we all re-read that document.
I've seen more "out of state" license plates here in Texas in the last three months than I have ever seen before. Has the exodus quietly begun?
The Republic of Texas won't have GA user fees! And I can go back to carrying heat in the plane.
bobf
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Steve W <steve2(at)sover.net (steve2(at)sover.net)> wrote:
--> Commander-List message posted by: "Steve W" <steve2(at)sover.net (steve2(at)sover.net)>

I wasn't going to spoil it for David. He's a good sport. And Nico had written a very well thought out post. Even Milt wrote a smart and well balanced one. (Until the other one about the Militia guys maybe not being wackos. They are wackos but should be left alone. And New England and California? That's like mixing a New England version of the Waltons with Baywatch.)

That piece was written to inflame passion, anger and fear; and the real author knew exactly what buttons to push to do so. There is such crazy assed shit being said on all sides, but hardly anyone seems to care if what is said is true or not. I remember pissing off a bunch of the far left about ten years ago over an environmental and farming issue when I had to learn the facts instead of parroting back the crap that was then coming through as faxes.

I learned people were less interested in the truth than reinforcing something they already chose to believe. So a work program becomes evidence of an evil plot designed to create an army of Obama supporters who will seize power and make you honkies listen to better music and eat salad.

It so often comes down to the manipulation and reinforcement of fear. Fear of loss, fear for safety, and the constant warnings now from so many sources pointing out new and dire threats. (I wonder, are pilots as a class more vigilant to identification of threat.) I'm not going to sacrifice everything that's best about us, pervert my values and live in perpetual fear because we're threatened.

To hell with political parties and the moronic sides they make people take. But if a State wants to try some really, really stupid ideas and opt out of Federal laws and programs, I think they should be allowed to. Like now, if the citizens of Texas think guns are really too hard to get and want to opt out of Federal laws designed to keep guns from bad guys, and automatic weapons off the streets... Go for it. Give it a wack and see if if you like it.

I think much of the time it is less right and left than it is rural sensibilities against city requirements. When we were just frontier and people were spread out common sense and little interference makes more sense. With you people breeding like rabbits, too much of the population is packed together like sardines. I'm not so sure rural rules would work in cities, and I wouldn't want to tell those folks what's best for them. Likewise out in the sticks, I like being left alone.

I'll quit now. Been working on a major project way too many weeks in a row. A little punchy.

(Note: the views above definately do not represent those of the swell little company I work for.)

Steve

---

amg3636(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

I would be interested in the paperwork for sure. I'm about due for a battery.

Roland Gilliam (AC 500 6291B)

Date: Tue C 12 May 2009 07:59:50 +1000

Jim & Moe C
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

--

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Jim,
Re. the last message, the batteries we are using in multiples, in US is the Hawker Gates Genesis, 12v 16 A/hr, they run around US$ 95 a piece.
For an AC 500 with a 12v system, the cranking amps available from one of the larger 12v, such as the 42 A/hr one, will give better starting performance than a conventional Gill or Concorde wet battery.
One of the very useful things about these units is that they can be transported by air, no dangerous goods limitations.
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Bill,
Jim A

Moe,
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

Moe,
Jim

Folks,

Moe Mills

N680RR

Jim

fyi ---

Steve

[quote]

Steve
[quote]

bobf

Steve

---

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Thanks bill I will look into that.
Jim

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:11 AM

Jim,
It shouldn’t be too much of a problem, down here most of the small turbo-props have ditched NiCad’s or lead acid wet batteries – big Gills, for Hawker Energy cells, they are cheaper per unit, comparing like for like, better starting current and capacity, and more starts per battery, and now their use is spreading to smaller GA aircraft.

In something like a Metro, the weight saving is quite significant, and nobody with a little turbo-prop wants hot starts from a geriatric battery.
One big Gill (AUD $1800) is replaced by 4 Hawker cells (AUD$ 800) and you have all the other benefits, particularly the cool starts.

In my 500A, I will be using two 12V Hawker cells for the 24v system, compared to the Gills that were there, about 50% more capacity, but given the battery weights, it will be interesting when we weigh the aeroplane. All I will need is our equivalent of a Form 337, but given the “approvals” of the Hawker Energy cells, you might not have to, it is almost “substituting brands”.

I use a “worn out” ex-Metro one for my 12v soldering iron, an added bonus of “free” power.

Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Bill,
Jim A

Moe,
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

--

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Thanks again, I will look into that.
Jim

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:12 AM

Jim,
Re. the last message, the batteries we are using in multiples, in US is the Hawker Gates Genesis, 12v 16 A/hr, they run around US$ 95 a piece.
For an AC 500 with a 12v system, the cranking amps available from one of the larger 12v, such as the 42 A/hr one, will give better starting performance than a conventional Gill or Concorde wet battery.
One of the very useful things about these units is that they can be transported by air, no dangerous goods limitations.
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Bill,
Jim A

Moe,
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

--

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

This is my problem with the FAA, they are so afraid of their job and the real problem if they are afraid of attorneys and law suits. Greedy attorneys have just about killed this country and that is what makes up most of the Democratic Party. We don’t have a chance.
Jim A

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of nico css
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 11:20 PM

I remember my 500's battery once went flat and a guy with a Centurion gave me a jump. His was a 24 volt system (I think) and it cranked the Lycomings so fast it started faster then it had ever before. I tried without success to get the Commander upgraded to 24 volts or even two of its regular batteries clamped together but nobody in the sticks would make that call. It was a long time ago and I might have some of the details wrong, but I remember the "no", "no", "can't be done", "don't do it" responses I got until I gave up.

Bill,
Jim A

Moe,
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

--

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

now yoy have steve all worked up again... Smile

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:48 AM

This is my problem with the FAA, they are so afraid of their job and the real problem if they are afraid of attorneys and law suits. Greedy attorneys have just about killed this country and that is what makes up most of the Democratic Party. We don’t have a chance.
Jim A

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of nico css
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 11:20 PM

Bill,
Jim A

Moe,
Cheers,
Bill Hamilton

Jim & Moe,
Whats the battery story?
Cheers
Richard

Moe,
Jim

[b]Folks,[/b]

[b]Is anyone other than Linn and Myself going to the NRA convention this week in Phoenix? We will be flying N680RR down on Thursday.[/b]

[b]Moe Mills[/b]

[b]N680RR[/b]

[b]Proud Holder of The Golden Pedal Award[/b]

Jim

fyi ---

Steve

[quote]
---

steve2(at)sover.net

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Nico, I'm thinking maybe just this once I won't go into the valuable service the ACLU lawyers perform for our country.....
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

hehehe. Thanks, Steve. I always knew you were a very considerate guy.

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Steve at Col-East
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:17 PM

Nico, I'm thinking maybe just this once I won't go into the valuable service the ACLU lawyers perform for our country.....
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Steve, that would be a good move, some of us might stop emailing and come see you in person,… with a base ball bat. That bunch has done more harm to this country than can ever be corrected.
Jim A

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Steve at Col-East
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:17 PM

[quote]
---

steve2(at)sover.net

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

It was a joke Jim. And you shouldn't bring a baseball bat to a gun fight. But when you do come with the posse, do me a favor and approach the house slowly. We'll first be using the 2" potato canon because I don't want to hurt anyone. This thing takes a really long time to reload.

Steve
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Steve, I hope you took what I said as a joke about coming over, I do believe the ACLU has hone this country harm.
Jim

From: owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-commander-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Steve W
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:18 AM

It was a joke Jim. And you shouldn't bring a baseball bat to a gun fight. But when you do come with the posse, do me a favor and approach the house slowly. We'll first be using the 2" potato canon because I don't want to hurt anyone. This thing takes a really long time to reload.

Steve
[quote]
---

moe-rosspistons(at)hotmai

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: It is time... Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks. My 680Fp came with a NiCad battery and was changed to a lead acid battery. In reading the early log books it appears that the NiCad was very problematic.

Moe

Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:18 AM

Steve
[quote] ---

Jameyson72

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: It is time... Reply with quote

[quote="John Vormbaum"]Wow, I guess us agnostics, atheists, Buddhist and absurdists are completely doomed. 9,000,000 Muslims in America? That's 2.8%. Yeah...perhaps we should restart the Crusades. After all, it did such wonderful things for all parties the first time around. Plus, things are going great in Iraq & Afghanistan. Why not expand? That's sarcasm, by the way.

The beauty of America is that immigrants are only what they are for the original generation. Fashion clothing, the Mall, and capitalism have a wonderful way of making all their children American. It becomes very very hard to convince them that they're better off shrugging off western culture & moving back to the sandbox and living in stone-age conditions. Those kids would probably die if they weren't within walking distance of a Starbucks.

Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 4:47 PM
To: 'art la combe'
Subject: It is time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3X5hIFXYU

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

Ironically, those who speak out against religions different than their own are usually the first to scream "bloody murder" when someone else bashes their religious beliefs. Gotta love the one-sided tolerance! lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: