Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting the Engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Galati

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Mounting the Engine Reply with quote

I experienced zero problems hanging the engine prior the installing the forward upper skin on both the -6A and the -8. I completed all instrument wiring and tested the radios and other panel circuitry while the fuselage was still in the garage minus the wings. Indeed, having that open access greatly eases ergonomic complications when working behind the instrument panel. Make it easy on yourself. Put off installing that upper skin until you absolutely have to. The first photo documents engine installation on the -8 without the forward upper skin in place. In fact, for a good fit I recommend you do not complete the forward baggage door installation until AFTER the engine is hung.

As far starting the engine, as the second photo graphically shows I simply 100% clecoed the -6A upper skin into place for the first engine starts and the procedure worked out just fine, not one cleco managed to vibrate loose.

Rick Galati

N307R RV-6A "Darla!"
N308R RV-8

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
chris_hand(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Mounting the Engine Reply with quote

I did same thing on my -6A; first engine runs (two, very short) and initial taxi test were done with front top skin fully cleco'd in place. I didn't rivet that last skin until a week or two before the final inspection. No problems with the engine runs or taxi test.
If concerned about the engine run with the skin only cleco'd then go ahead and rivet before running for peace of mind but I'd definitely leave that last forward top skin off as long as possible, and wouldn't have any hesitation about hanging the engine.

Pictures at: http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/finishingStages/FirstEngineRun/FirstEngineRunPg1.htm#photo4

[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: