Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IFR related cockpit stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesse(at)itecusa.org

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

Price tag if one of the rest of us wanted to go with a similar system?

Do not archive

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org
www.itecusa.org

I'm in Ecuador right now and should be back in the country by the end of
May. You may call me at 352-505-1899 and leave a message that I can check
from down here. Any I-TEC questions can be directed to the I-TEC office at
352-465-4545.
--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

TDT

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of GRANSCOTT(at)aol.com
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:21 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: IFR related cockpit stuff

I'll try to see if I can locate a site from the Fed's...they now make this same information available to us, the public, for free...one of the guys from the Langley group spoke to local pilots via an FAA safety seminar recently...I'll see if I still have the reference...these updating disc are available from a number of places...but acording to a fellow presenting the information we can get it directly, vai a download, from the Fed also for free...it's somewhere out there!!!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

Uh, list price totals about $80,000 for that list of Avidyne gear . . .

www.avidyne.com

TDT
--

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

I know the approach info is available here;
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

What I can't find is the download links for the enroute Low Altitude
charts. If anyone knows how to get those, pass it on.
Jesse: regarding the Avidyne stuff....Tim works for Avidyne, so
he gets them. Otherwise, it's not an option because they
won't sell to us homebuilders.

John J: At one point I made reference to the Dynon being a "Yugo"
and so on. Given how much absolutely nicer Rob Hickman's new
stuff is, at a not too much higher price point, I think Dynon
is in the lower end. But, please don't anyone take that
implication to mean that I'd think of Randy's panel as a "Yugo".
Randy put some great equipment in there, including an MX-20,
and his panel is very nice indeed. He likes the panel a lot.
I'd be curious as to what he thinks about Rob's offering and
if he'd ever be up for swapping the small dynon out for
one of Rob's. But I certainly don't consider his panel to be
low-end. And I agree with you that much of this technology
is unnecessary...and most people will only use a fraction of
the capabilities and could get by with much less. That said,
the reality is that many (not all) people like the gadgets,
and when you're building your own plane, it's *then* that
those decision need to be made as to what will make you happy.
Building and upgrading later is an option, but it's a fun
thought. That's why people sweat it so much.

To the OP Tech lookers: I hope to see a couple people
put them in their -10s. They do look nice. They only suffer
from a lack of exposure in our market. They could end up
being a fantastic thing. We just need to see and hear more.
If someone takes the plunge on them, please keep everyone
informed as to how the process goes and how they work.

Tim

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
GRANSCOTT(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
I'll try to see if I can locate a site from the Fed's...they now make
this same information available to us, the public, for free...one of the
guys from the Langley group spoke to local pilots via an FAA safety
seminar recently...I'll see if I still have the reference...these
updating disc are available from a number of places...but acording to a
fellow presenting the information we can get it directly, vai a
download, from the Fed also for free...it's somewhere out there!!!

Patrick

do not archive

deej(at)deej.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

Tim Olson wrote:

Quote:

I'd be curious as to what he thinks about Rob's offering and
if he'd ever be up for swapping the small dynon out for

Hi Tim,
I've read a couple of references to "Rob's offering" and I've
probably missed it somewhere, but what exactly is
"Rob's offering"? Is there a website with info?

Thanks,

-Dj
do not archive

jjessen(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

http://www.advanced-control-systems.com/

--

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

It's a very crisp screened EFIS/EIS, at a relatively low cost.

Doesn't have a lot of the features of the GRT and others, such as
mapping built in, but it isn't priced up at that point either.
The crispness of the display is excellent, and should blow away
what dynon is offering. A neat AOA display too.

It may not be a factor for those buying higher end systems, but
for anyone looking at an integrate-able EIS that has panel
realestate to spare, this might be just the ticket. If you
have the setup like I do though, you'd probably opt for the
small model so you can maintain your EFIS/MFD arrangement
without giving up all the space, but this is a way to get
much of the attitude and air data functionality at a lower cost.

Sometimes the hardest part about panel planning isn't what
is *not* offered, it's deciding between the many offerings,
what they will give you, and how much your bank account hold. Wink
Tim
Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive

Dj Merrill wrote:
Quote:

Tim Olson wrote:

> I'd be curious as to what he thinks about Rob's offering and
> if he'd ever be up for swapping the small dynon out for

Hi Tim,
I've read a couple of references to "Rob's offering" and I've
probably missed it somewhere, but what exactly is
"Rob's offering"? Is there a website with info?

Thanks,

-Dj
do not archive

deej(at)deej.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

Tim Olson wrote:

Quote:

It's a very crisp screened EFIS/EIS, at a relatively low cost.

Thanks! Looks like a nice system. I like that it can be integrated
with
their AOA system that I was considering anyways. I really like the
rotating compass displayed mixed in with the attitude information.

Anyone know if there are any appreciable amount of flying hours
on these units (3400/3500) ?

-Dj
do not archive

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

Now that's interesting.  So their HITS won't drive the VSGV?  What a waste, this would probably put them out of the running for me.

Michael Sausen
RV-10 #352 Working on Fuselage
Do Not Archive
Recent RV-10 Build Activity

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Patrick Thyssen
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:36 AM
Subject: RE: IFR related cockpit stuff

I went to Sun N Fun to buy the Chelton or GRT and ended up buying a dual OP Tech 8.4 intergrated system. They were very informative and they are a OEM for a couple of LSA aircraft. Got to talk to the people who make the LSA one in spain and they just love it.
 Becker is what we get with the intergrated or you can use Garmin SL30 for remote.They have a mode S transponer but need to write some sofeware, but you can use a Garmin 330, but it will not be remoted to the display. That is you will see it on the MFD but can not tune it there. Since traffic is a must in our  AC we will get the garmin 330.
 Getting them to put landscape on Epanel next few days so we can decide landscape or portrait. Having to blow up images to size it looks lilke land scape will fit better.
 I flew the sim at the show and it was OK by me. Reminded me of flying the sim at training.
 The bad thing it looks like I'll be buying the Sorrcier instead of RV10 AP.
Thanks
Pat

"RV Builder (Michael Sausen)" <rvbuilder(at)sausen.net> wrote:
Quote:
I like the OP stuff and have been keeping an eye on it for a while now, especially with the major jump in Chelton prices.  It's still a option for me but I probably won't do the integrated version.  They also don't seem to be real good about getting any info out to the market about their going on's but then again neither is the D2AV guys.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage
do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Cram
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:55 PM
To: RV10 LIST
Subject: IFR related cockpit stuff

Guess I would be considered one of the newest on the list due to the fact that I placed my order at SNF. But am looking at an EFIS that I have seen no one mention. The OP Technologies display.  1. it is larger than Chelton 2. Has an internal GPS. 3. you can mount radios and Transponder remotely.  4. It displays approach plates.  Oh yeah is a lot cheaper than the chelton system. Will forward first panel draft by Nick at Park Rapids Avionics.

John Cram
40569 ( waiting on the Emp)

do not archive

stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

As I understand it (I might not be entirely right, but this is what I got).....At the moment OP doesn't have the vertical GPS steering software done yet.  I expect they'll have it finished fairly soon though....

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein.
[quote] --

jump2(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

No that's not what I'm saying. I wanted the individual keys for the autopilot and not have to scroll through some pages to find what I what to be doing. Esp on a low approach. GRT have theirs on the screen driving the autopilot.
 They are a Tru Trak dealer and you would need to ask them about any other Questions on their systems. I do know they will work with Digiflight II. At least they have it on their price sheet.
  I'm also looking at getting the upgrade of Free Flight GPS.
 Pat

Quote:
Now that's interesting.  So their HITS won't drive the VSGV?  What a waste, this would probably put them out of the running for me.

Michael Sausen
RV-10 #352 Working on Fuselage
Do Not Archive
Recent RV-10 Build Activity

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Patrick Thyssen
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:36 AM
Subject: RE: IFR related cockpit stuff

I went to Sun N Fun to buy the Chelton or GRT and ended up buying a dual OP Tech 8.4 intergrated system. They were very informative and they are a OEM for a couple of LSA aircraft. Got to talk to the people who make the LSA one in spain and they just love it.
 Becker is what we get with the intergrated or you can use Garmin SL30 for remote.They have a mode S transponer but need to write some sofeware, but you can use a Garmin 330, but it will not be remoted to the display. That is you will see it on the MFD but can not tune it there. Since traffic is a must in our  AC we will get the garmin 330.
 Getting them to put landscape on Epanel next few days so we can decide landscape or portrait. Having to blow up images to size it looks lilke land scape will fit better.
 I flew the sim at the show and it was OK by me. Reminded me of flying the sim at training.
 The bad thing it looks like I'll be buying the Sorrcier instead of RV10 AP.
Thanks
Pat

Quote:
I like the OP stuff and have been keeping an eye on it for a while now, especially with the major jump in Chelton prices.  It's still a option for me but I probably won't do the integrated version.  They also don't seem to be real good about getting any info out to the market about their going on's but then again neither is the D2AV guys.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage
do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Cram
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:55 PM
To: RV10 LIST
Subject: IFR related cockpit stuff

Guess I would be considered one of the newest on the list due to the fact that I placed my order at SNF. But am looking at an EFIS that I have seen no one mention. The OP Technologies display.  1. it is larger than Chelton 2. Has an internal GPS. 3. you can mount radios and Transponder remotely.  4. It displays approach plates.  Oh yeah is a lot cheaper than the chelton system. Will forward first panel draft by Nick at Park Rapids Avionics.

John Cram
40569 ( waiting on the Emp)

do not archive

dmasys(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

Quote:
Date: 2006/04/13 Thu AM 10:09:22 EDT

Quote:
Building and upgrading later is an option, but it's a fun
thought. That's why people sweat it so much.

As somebody who has had my first RV in the air for the past three years, I can tell you that upgrading is inevitable. Once your plane is paid off and you see the new cool toys coming out each year, it will be too much temptation to bear to not add a new gadget here and there. My -7A is all electric and started out with round guages. Swapped the artificial horizon for a TruTrak solid state AI, added a switch to the panel labelled "WX Radar" and plumbed in a NavAir XM weather display running on a Toshiba. The list goes on...

Once a project, always a project. The EFIS are bigger ticket items, but a working system has some residual value and can be sold to some other builder to make way for an even cooler tool.

It's why when people ask you when your plane is going to be done, the real answer is never. (And glad of it!)

-Dan Masys

weeav8ter(at)grandecom.ne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

I think it's a brand new offering at SNF. They had/have the 2500 an engine monitor only, which is what I had ordered but have switched to their 3400.

Wayne Edgerton fitting the doors
# 40336

do not archive

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

I was reading something that suggested for the airworthiness inspection, the examiner was also going to be interested in seeing your test plan for flight testing the aircraft.  What have folks been doing for that?  A one-page outline of tasks, or an 80-page flight test plan with individual test cards, or something in-between?

TDT

dmasys(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: IFR related cockpit stuff Reply with quote

Quote:
Date: 2006/04/14 Fri PM 04:28:00 EDT
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: Re: IFR related cockpit stuff

I was reading something that suggested for the airworthiness inspection,
the examiner was also going to be interested in seeing your test plan
for flight testing the aircraft. What have folks been doing for that?
A one-page outline of tasks, or an 80-page flight test plan with
individual test cards, or something in-between?

The only topic that came up at my -7's signoff was the boundaries of the flight test area. The DAR wanted to be sure I had a marked Sectional showing its limits (and a copy was included in his signoff paperwork for phase I) since the standard text description of it in the San Diego area was pretty complicated and bordered by restricted airspace. If I can infer from the silence on the topic of the flight test program, the general attitude was 'go out and kill yourself if you like, but please do it in this area. Rest is up to you.'

Since DAR's and FSDO's seem to vary dramatically, this is just an anecdote...

-Dan Masys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: