Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lycoming O-235 engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mantafs(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Lycoming O-235 engines Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in using a Lycoming O-235 engine is a TR-1 I have 3 for sale! The first is a straight mount O-235 with about 2400 since new and all log books from new. The last log book entry has the engine certified as airworthy from an IA. Of course this is the rated TBO of the engine but can be used as is on condition or overhauled. This is a very low budget way of having a real aircraft engine that is perfect for the TR-1 at just $2300!

The second engine is a dynafocal mount O-235 L2C with a 125 hp sparrowhawk high compression conversion. This also has log books and has about 500 hrs since a field overhaul with sign off by an IA. I think this is the first overhaul but have not checked the log books. The price is $5500.

The third is a brand new never opened dynafocal mount O-235 L2C! This engine is sealed from the factory, factory preserved for long term storage and stored in a climate controled area. This engine was to be used in the second airframe of an LSA I designed but the company went under. The Lycoming price with manufacturers discount was $19,900! I would like get $14,500 for this engine.

All three engines are in Stuart, FL.

Mark Kettering
mantafs(at)earthlink.net

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
76papa(at)dishmail.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Lycoming O-235 engines Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

Let me know when you have a Lycoming IO-360 (200 hp).

Al
On Nov 6, 2009, at 2:22 AM, Mark Kettering wrote:

Quote:

If anyone is interested in using a Lycoming O-235 engine is a TR-1
I have 3 for sale! The first is a straight mount O-235 with about
2400 since new and all log books from new. The last log book entry
has the engine certified as airworthy from an IA. Of course this
is the rated TBO of the engine but can be used as is on condition
or overhauled. This is a very low budget way of having a real
aircraft engine that is perfect for the TR-1 at just $2300!

The second engine is a dynafocal mount O-235 L2C with a 125 hp
sparrowhawk high compression conversion. This also has log books
and has about 500 hrs since a field overhaul with sign off by an
IA. I think this is the first overhaul but have not checked the
log books. The price is $5500.

The third is a brand new never opened dynafocal mount O-235 L2C!
This engine is sealed from the factory, factory preserved for long
term storage and stored in a climate controled area. This engine
was to be used in the second airframe of an LSA I designed but the
company went under. The Lycoming price with manufacturers discount
was $19,900! I would like get $14,500 for this engine.

All three engines are in Stuart, FL.

Mark Kettering
mantafs(at)earthlink.net

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mantafs(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Lycoming O-235 engines Reply with quote

Hi Al,

Sure, I will let you know. But I will not be selling it! If and when I get one it will be going onto my TR-1.

Mark

--

76papa(at)dishmail.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Lycoming O-235 engines Reply with quote

Huh? that much horsepower in a TR-1?

Al
On Nov 6, 2009, at 6:58 PM, Mark Kettering wrote:

Quote:

Hi Al,

Sure, I will let you know. But I will not be selling it! If and
when I get one it will be going onto my TR-1.

Mark

mantafs(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Lycoming O-235 engines Reply with quote

Hi Al,

Of course I would prefer even more horsepower! Scott has 220 hp (built IO-360) in his TR-1!

For my all carbon TR-4 I just bought a 350 HP TIO-540 from a Mirage. When I built the parts for the carbon TR-4 I did some modifications to make the plane stronger, stiffer and to take the weight of a heavy 6 cylinder engine. Of course now I need to quickly build the TR-4...

Mark

--

76papa(at)dishmail.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Lycoming O-235 engines Reply with quote

On Nov 6, 2009, at 8:50 PM, Mark Kettering wrote:

Quote:

Hi Al,

For my all carbon TR-4 I just bought a 350 HP TIO-540 from a Mirage.

Are you modifying the wings? I don't think the original airfoil
design is ideal for utilizing the speed from such a powerplant.

Al

mantafs(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Lycoming O-235 engines Reply with quote

Hi Al,

Actually the airfoil is just about perfect for the aircraft as a whole. But for max speed there is just too much wing area for the weight even with a slight increase in gross for the carbon version. Of course to keep the landing speed down I would not want to decrease the wing area. I plan to slightly increase the wing area via new wing tips similar to what Scott has done on his TR-1. This will help with stall speed with the slight increase in gross.

The airfoil is not all that important at cruise for most light aircraft. Light aircraft just have way too much wing area for ideal cruise performance so are not generally in best place of the drag bucket. For example a TR-4 with a 180 hp at max cruise is flying with a CL of about 0.3. No standardish airfoil that can produce good lift for landing has a minimum drag at or near 0.3 CL. With a 350 hp turbo motor and flying at 24k MSL the CL would be about 0.2. A bit farther from ideal but since we were already so far the difference is small. The only thing to do is reduce wing area. This is what Lancair does. The 4P has only 98 sq ft of wing and a much higher gross weight than a TR-4. But reducing the wing area would increase the stall speed and make the plane less safe. I want a plane that is fast but also has a nice safe low landing speed and good power off glide.

Also keep in mind that this is just the induced drag we are talking about. At cruise even with the 180 HP most of the drag is skin friction and not induced. At the higher cruise speed with 350 hp the induced drag is an even smaller part of the total drag. So even if there was a fairly large change in the induced drag due to the airfoil (there is not) it would have a very small impact of cruise speed.

Mark

--

Sean Caranna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lycoming O-235 engines Reply with quote

Do you still have the 500 hour O-235-L2C for sale?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: