Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHT update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

As many of you may know, I have been obsessing a bit about my CHT's...to get them consistent.

Here's the setup:
IO360B1F6
9.2:1 pistons
AFP Fuel Injection
LASAR Ignition with CHT sender relocated to allow for testing
Vetterman Dual Crossover Heater/Mufflers
SamJames cowl and plenum
Advanced Flight Systems 3400 Engine Monitor

Oil Cooler mounted behind #4 cylinder
Air for both Heater/Mufflers behind #3 cylinder

For constant power setting, here's the consistency that I have achieved:
#1 and #3 cylinders run within three degrees (avg) of each other
#2 and #4 cylinders run within three degrees (avg) of each other
The #1/#3 cylinders run 8.5 degrees hotter (avg) than the #2/#4 cylinders

With the members of the sets of cylinders running this close each other, I'm thinking that I have the balance (front to rear) for each side pretty well matched.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what could be causing the right side to run hotter than the left. Here's some of what I'm thinking...: With this plenum set-up, I'm thinking that the pressure/volume should equalize from left to right. This would leave me with not much to change to cause more cooling air to go from the left to the right - meaning that I probably have to live with the differences. Alternatively, maybe it's not really hotter...the two sets of CHT wires for the left side (both equal length) are about three feet longer than the ones for the right side (again, both equal length). Could the difference in the lengths of the wires account for the reported temperature difference?

I'm pretty close to thinking that this is as good as it gets...but I would really like to know why...

Thanks,
Ralph
[quote][b]

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
dsleepy47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

The accuracy of the readings is a different question but the relative flow on each side should be controlled by the length of the baffle below and between the cylinders. increase the length of the baffle for the cold cylinders or or shorten the ones for the hot cylinders to change the balance. Remove the same amount from both ends of baffle if you don't want to change the balance between 1/3 or 2/4. I wouldn't have a pm with calling what you have close enough.

Deems

Here's the setup:
IO360B1F6
AFP Fuel Injection
SamJames cowl and plenum

For constant power setting C here's the consistency that I have achieved:

With the members of the sets of cylinders running this close each other C I'm thinking that I have the balance (front to rear) for each side pretty well matched.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what could be causing the right side to run hotter than the left.  Here's some of what I'm thinking...: With this plenum set-up C I'm thinking that the pressure/volume should equalize from left to right.  This would leave me with not much to change to cause more cooling air to go from the left to the right - meaning that I probably have to live with the differences.  Alternatively C maybe it's not really hotter...the two sets of CHT wires for the left side (both equal length) are about three feet longer than the ones for the right side (again C both equal length).  Could the difference in the lengths of the wires account for the reported temperature difference?

I'm pretty close to thinking that this is as good as it gets...but I would really like to know why...

Thanks C
Ralph

Quote:

lectric.com
/">www.buildersbooks.com
ebuilthelp.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution
nes-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
ronics.com

Windows 7: It works the way you want. Learn more. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

Thanks Deems,

I haven't touched the underside baffling from Vans stock configuration. Good methodology suggestion! Based on a number of responses - I think I'll probably leave it alone for a while and see how it runs.

Ralph

--

dsleepy47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

That sounds like a reasonable plan to me. My guess without looking up the numbers is that your temperature differentials are with the margin of error for the instrument. If all the temperatures are below your limits I see no reason to change anything. I was just answering your question about how to affect individual cylinder temps not making a recommendation that it was necessary.

Deems

[quote] Date: Tue C 24 Nov 2009 08:17:05 -0500
To: lycomingengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: CHT update

--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net>

Thanks Deems C

I haven't touched the underside baffling from Vans stock configuration. Good methodology suggestion! Based on a number of responses - I think I'll probably leave it alone for a while and see how it runs.
Bing brings you maps C menus C and reviews organized in one place. Try it now.
Quote:
[b]

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

Deems,

All temps are within limits.

Glad to know there's something else I can do.....if it ever becomes necessary.

Flying on.....

Ralph

--

thomas(at)koelzer.us

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

Are you absolutely convinced the right side is running hotter than the left? Is there instrumentation error and can you confirm accuracy via another method or by swapping sensors? Do you have EGT numbers to confirm the cylinders are at the proper mixture but the cooling is inadequate?

Just some food for thought.

Tom

Do not archive

On Nov 23, 2009, at 5:22 PM, Ralph E. Capen wrote:

Quote:
As many of you may know, I have been obsessing a bit about my CHT's...to get them consistent.

Here's the setup:
IO360B1F6
AFP Fuel Injection
SamJames cowl and plenum

For constant power setting, here's the consistency that I have achieved:

With the members of the sets of cylinders running this close each other, I'm thinking that I have the balance (front to rear) for each side pretty well matched.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what could be causing the right side to run hotter than the left. Here's some of what I'm thinking...: With this plenum set-up, I'm thinking that the pressure/volume should equalize from left to right. This would leave me with not much to change to cause more cooling air to go from the left to the right - meaning that I probably have to live with the differences. Alternatively, maybe it's not really hotter...the two sets of CHT wires for the left side (both equal length) are about three feet longer than the ones for the right side (again, both equal length). Could the difference in the lengths of the wires account for the reported temperature difference?

Thanks,
Ralph

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

Tom,

Thanks for your input...

I have calibrated the sensors with boiling water and candy thermometer - and
swapped the sensors enough to know that the sensors are consistent and
accurate.

The EGT numbers show a good mixture distribution - but I haven't balanced
the injectors yet. That may change things when the balancing act is
accomplished - we'll see.

Some of the other postings provided info on a couple of other places to look
in the cooling system - just in case.
Most of the other postings told me to go have a coke and a smile - and
fly-on.

I'm planning to fly for a while - balance my injectors and see what happens.

Ralph
---

thomas(at)koelzer.us

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

Sounds like you have it covered. Cokes and smiles are fine but I always enjoy the challenge of unanswered questions. It's what makes man so great and why we have achieved such heights.

Tom

do not archive

On Nov 25, 2009, at 8:17 PM, Ralph E. Capen wrote:

[quote]

Tom,

Thanks for your input...

I have calibrated the sensors with boiling water and candy thermometer - and swapped the sensors enough to know that the sensors are consistent and accurate.

The EGT numbers show a good mixture distribution - but I haven't balanced the injectors yet. That may change things when the balancing act is accomplished - we'll see.

Some of the other postings provided info on a couple of other places to look in the cooling system - just in case.
Most of the other postings told me to go have a coke and a smile - and fly-on.

I'm planning to fly for a while - balance my injectors and see what happens.

Ralph
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: