Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voyager sale Fri only

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

Just got the latest newsletter and they claim the lowest prices EVER
on lifetime chart subscriptions and some other things for Friday only.
Tim

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
orchidman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

Tim Olson wrote:
Tim

The price is right except they are not giving credit for existing subscriptions. They screwed up my Osh order so bad that I have over a years subscription still on their books. Otherwise I might have jumped on it.
Maybe next year if they offer it again.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pilotdds(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

I am becoming very concerned with the folks at Voyager. I purchased the Skypad and the lifetime program and I have found both to be very capable, with a few glitches. The departure procedures on the IFR charts apparently cannot be accessed. Only the first page of the plate shows up and unlike the AOPA version, you cannot scroll through. Secondly, the radar echoes and clouds are very intermittently displayed. They seem like very nice folks, but have been unresponsive to my emails, phone calls, and even failed to have a scheduled teleconference with me. I am concerned about the overall health of the company and I will continue to attempt to get my questions answered. In the event that I am successful I will place a post. If anyone else has had a different experience, I would love to hear about it. I have spoken to the secretary who assures me that I will be contacted by a technical person, but I do not receive a contact. I am not upset at the company as I do feel it is a good value, I am just concerned about whether they will continue to function and what will happen to these life time subscriptions and equipment should they fail to be able to provide support. If you are considering purchase you may wish to take this into consideration.
Jim Rore

--

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

You make a very valid point; A lifetime subscription is only as good of the health of the company. After I bought and received the whole Glastar kit in 1997, Stoddard Hamilton went into receivership (I only had to fabricate one part) . This was the number two company in experimental aviation in terms of stability and kit sales. I bought the complete RV10 package from Sept 2004 to mid 2005; the rush was to get all so I could complete whether or not Vans survived. These small privately held company financials are either obscure or unavailable. I bought my Chelton system in the Summer 2005 and insisted and received shipment to me within 30 days of their receipt of funds (unfortunately they did not allow credit card purchases which offer some protection) . After their XBOW/PINPOINT decision, I repeatedly asked them how they stayed in business, while being unable to deliver the promised Pinpoints. In December 2007? they did not. Look to the lifetime (strength) of the company before "buying" the lifetime guarantee.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of pilotdds(at)aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 12:44 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Voyager sale Fri only

I am becoming very concerned with the folks at Voyager. I purchased the Skypad and the lifetime program and I have found both to be very capable, with a few glitches. The departure procedures on the IFR charts apparently cannot be accessed. Only the first page of the plate shows up and unlike the AOPA version, you cannot scroll through. Secondly, the radar echoes and clouds are very intermittently displayed. They seem like very nice folks, but have been unresponsive to my emails, phone calls, and even failed to have a scheduled teleconference with me. I am concerned about the overall health of the company and I will continue to attempt to get my questions answered. In the event that I am successful I will place a post. If anyone else has had a different experience, I would love to hear about it. I have spoken to the secretary who assures me that I will be contacted by a technical person, but I do not receive a contact. I am not upset at the company as I do feel it is a good value, I am just concerned about whether they will continue to function and what will happen to these life time subscriptions and equipment should they fail to be able to provide support. If you are considering purchase you may wish to take this into consideration.
Jim Rore

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Nov 27, 2009 8:55 am
Subject: Re: Voyager sale Fri only

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "orchidman" <gary(at)wingscc.com (gary(at)wingscc.com)>
Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:
Tim

The price is right except they are not giving credit for existing subscriptions.
They screwed up my Osh order so bad that I have over a years subscription still
on their books. Otherwise I might have jumped on it.
Maybe next year if they offer it again.

--------
Gary Blankenbiller
RV10 - # 40674
(N2GB Flying)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=275078#275078

=_blank>www.aeroelectric.com
m/" target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com
=_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com
_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
rget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

[quote]

href="http://www.aeroelectric.com">www.aeroelectric.com
href="http://www.buildersbooks.com">www.buildersbooks.com
href="http://www.homebuilthelp.com">www.homebuilthelp.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/chref="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

[b]

pilotdds(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

I received a call from a Taylor at Seattle Avionics. He was extremely helpful and answered all of my questions. There is a way to scroll through and identify departure procedures in the system and they apologized for the confusion and lack of response. The satellite imagery is due to a temporary problem with one of their servers. It is a very full featured program.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone,
Jim Rore

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

I'm actually pretty surprised you had a bad experience with
them in the past. I've actually sent quite a few
emails to their support(at) email address in the past...I tend
to be a tough customer sometimes because I push some
feature requests, and ask questions that go in more depth
sometimes than people like to spend time talking about.
But, in all my emails they're usually very very quick in
replying. A few weeks ago a friend who is also a
user of the software saw the clouds (or lack thereof), and
I emailed in and within a couple hours had the answer
that they knew about it and were having problems with
the data feed. Then, a couple weeks ago they had a BETA
software upgrade and I had volunteered a long time ago
to beta test, so I found out about it. I tried it and
found that the new Data Manager feature had a bug in
it if you didn't have a "Flight Guide" subscription. (I don't)
I got a reply right away even though they were at the
AOPA convention. I had a follow-up question that did
take a few days but since they were at the show, I
waited that one out. Then, a few days ago with the
newer rev. of the Data Manager to do automatic chart
and software updates, they came out with a new Beta
version, and mine didn't auto updated. I emailed
support...and mind you this was Wednesday night, late,
the night before Thanksgiving. The company pres. himself
fielded the email with a workaround (which I had already
figured out). I get email replies at all hours,
and they're always very responsive...especially one
of the guys in particular.

Today, with the special they ran for the first 100
customers, it was quite a deal. $230 I think was
the actual discount. $600 for a full lifetime
subscription for Geo-Referenced charts. $400 if you
only wanted IFR charts with no GPS integration.
That's pretty darn good considering the price you'd
pay Garmin/Jeppesen for their offerings, and it
includes far more charts.

I can't speak to the questions of company health,
but I've never seen any reason to doubt it. The specials
they run are usually for limited quantities....like
this one. 100 people got the deal. The rest either
have to wait or can just pass on it. But, it sure
drives the responses. There has only been one
other app that was in the same price/performance
ballpark and that was Golden Eagle Chart Case, and
that is also a great app but I found that the long term
costs were higher, and I'm going into my 3rd year
without paper now. I've already saved enough to
have made it worth while, so if they were gone next
year, I'd still be fulfilled. Jepp has an offering
too, but they're priced so far above that it
isn't really practical for most users. So I don't really
know one way or the other how the health of the company
is, but they've been great to work with for a while
now. If someone feels Chart Case or Jepp is a better
way to go because they think the company is more solid,
I say go for it. You might spend more, or much more
money, but if it makes you comfortable, then do.
It's given good peace of mind to travel and actually
be able to prove I have legal charts for all trips...and
it's been a great cost savings over paper. If you're
flying with no charts, or out of date charts, you've
got a whole different view on what's legal/safe as
I do. To each his own....but isn't that great? There
are some times when passing up a good deal will just
cost a person a lot more in the end...I just think
this was one of them. $400 to have every chart
it takes to be legal for any IFR or VFR flight...
forever. Heck, even 2 years worth would make that
a bargain over paper if you actually use your RV-10
as it was intended.

Tim

pilotdds(at)aol.com wrote:
[quote] I am becoming very concerned with the folks at Voyager. I purchased the
Skypad and the lifetime program and I have found both to be very
capable, with a few glitches. The departure procedures on the IFR charts
apparently cannot be accessed. Only the first page of the plate shows up
and unlike the AOPA version, you cannot scroll through. Secondly, the
radar echoes and clouds are very intermittently displayed. They seem
like very nice folks, but have been unresponsive to my emails, phone
calls, and even failed to have a scheduled teleconference with me. I am
concerned about the overall health of the company and I will continue to
attempt to get my questions answered. In the event that I am successful
I will place a post. If anyone else has had a different experience, I
would love to hear about it. I have spoken to the secretary who assures
me that I will be contacted by a technical person, but I do not receive
a contact. I am not upset at the company as I do feel it is a good
value, I am just concerned about whether they will continue to function
and what will happen to these life time subscriptions and equipment
should they fail to be able to provide support. If you are considering
purchase you may wish to take this into consideration.
Jim Rore

--

rebrunk42(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

When I bought blue mountain and complained about the product the beta
testers responded by lauding the product and discounting my
complaints. It was at least unhelpful and we all know what happened to
that company. I think it is important that I consider a product in
light of my experience and that of others with them. Beta testers are
those who help develop a product for sale. All that a product is
supposed to do should be up and running at time of sale. Buyers are
not nor should be beta testers unless that is how the item is sold. I
learned this expensive lesson from blue mountain. Enough said. I feel
better. Thanks for listening. Robert

Sent from my iPhone

Robert E. Brunkenhoefer
Brunkenhoefer Law Firm, P.C.
520 Lawrence St.
Corpus Christi, Texas 78401
Phone: 361-888-8808
Facsimile: 361-888-6753
robert(at)brunklaw.com

On Nov 27, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

Quote:

etekberg(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

I noticed the same thing with the departure procedures.  Also, when I did a "just download the procedures that have changed", it did not pick up the revision to the departure procedures.  When I did a "download them all" it did.  I did bite on the lifetime subscription, but I am not the die-hard fan that Tim is.  I only hope that there involvement with BK will lead to a better product.  I download the pdfs from nacomatic.com as well as using voyager.  Basically when I use the product I hear a little nagging voice in the back of my head that says that it is a POS, but I still refuse to listen to it.  Afterall, I don't even have my IFR ticket yet, so what do I know?

-Eric

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM, <pilotdds(at)aol.com (pilotdds(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] I am becoming very concerned with the folks at Voyager. I purchased the Skypad and the lifetime program and I have found both to be very capable, with a few glitches. The departure procedures on the IFR charts apparently cannot be accessed. Only the first page of the plate shows up and unlike the AOPA version, you cannot scroll through. Secondly, the radar echoes and clouds are very intermittently displayed. They seem like very nice folks, but have been unresponsive to my emails, phone calls, and even failed to have a scheduled teleconference with me. I am concerned about the overall health of the company and I will continue to attempt to get my questions answered. In the event that I am successful I will place a post. If anyone else has had a different experience, I would love to hear about it. I have spoken to the secretary who assures me that I will be contacted by a technical person, but I do not receive a contact. I am not upset at the company as I do feel it is a good value, I am just concerned about whether they will continue to function and what will happen to these life time subscriptions and equipment should they fail to be able to provide support. If you are considering purchase you may wish to take this into consideration.
Jim Rore

--

sean(at)stephensville.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

Hmmm, is what nacomatic.com is publishing a "legal" thing? Just wondering if it has the potential of disappearing.

Is getting charts from a source (not sure what his source is) and reproducing them "legal"?

On Dec 1, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Eric Ekberg wrote:
[quote]I noticed the same thing with the departure procedures. Also, when I did a "just download the procedures that have changed", it did not pick up the revision to the departure procedures. When I did a "download them all" it did. I did bite on the lifetime subscription, but I am not the die-hard fan that Tim is. I only hope that there involvement with BK will lead to a better product. I download the pdfs from nacomatic.com as well as using voyager. Basically when I use the product I hear a little nagging voice in the back of my head that says that it is a POS, but I still refuse to listen to it. Afterall, I don't even have my IFR ticket yet, so what do I know?

-Eric

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM, <pilotdds(at)aol.com (pilotdds(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] I am becoming very concerned with the folks at Voyager. I purchased the Skypad and the lifetime program and I have found both to be very capable, with a few glitches. The departure procedures on the IFR charts apparently cannot be accessed. Only the first page of the plate shows up and unlike the AOPA version, you cannot scroll through. Secondly, the radar echoes and clouds are very intermittently displayed. They seem like very nice folks, but have been unresponsive to my emails, phone calls, and even failed to have a scheduled teleconference with me. I am concerned about the overall health of the company and I will continue to attempt to get my questions answered. In the event that I am successful I will place a post. If anyone else has had a different experience, I would love to hear about it. I have spoken to the secretary who assures me that I will be contacted by a technical person, but I do not receive a contact. I am not upset at the company as I do feel it is a good value, I am just concerned about whether they will continue to function and what will happen to these life time subscriptions and equipment should they fail to be able to provide support. If you are considering purchase you may wish to take this into consideration.
Jim Rore

--

sfdarton(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

Sean

National Aeronautical Charting Office - NACO - this is the division of the FAA that publishes charts. Paid for buy your tax dollars, charts as current as possible, right now you can download charts effective: 17 December 2009 to 14 January 2010

Steve 40212

Sent: Thu, December 3, 2009 12:40:33 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Voyager sale Fri only

Hmmm, is what nacomatic.com is publishing a "legal" thing?  Just wondering if it has the potential of disappearing.

Is getting charts from a source (not sure what his source is) and reproducing them "legal"?

On Dec 1, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Eric Ekberg wrote:
[quote]I noticed the same thing with the departure procedures. Also, when I did a "just download the procedures that have changed", it did not pick up the revision to the departure procedures. When I did a "download them all" it did. I did bite on the lifetime subscription, but I am not the die-hard fan that Tim is.  I only hope that there involvement with BK will lead to a better product. I download the pdfs from nacomatic.com as well as using voyager. Basically when I use the product I hear a little nagging voice in the back of my head that says that it is a POS, but I still refuse to listen to it.  Afterall, I don't even have my IFR ticket yet, so what do I know?

-Eric

Jim Rore

--

orchidman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

sean(at)stephensville.com wrote:
Hmmm, is what nacomatic.com is publishing a "legal" thing? Just wondering if it has the potential of disappearing.

And there is a script that will automate the downloading.
You can specify state, section, all etc. I am using it to put the charts on an SD card. I download only the states I might need for a flight and can review multiple airports very quickly. I think it is much easier then the Voyager program if you are trying to review what is available in an area as say looking for alternates.
http://mstewart.net/super8/grtgetallplates/index.htm

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

Fabulous link. Takes a little doing for a not-that-technical computer guy, but very nice once it's working.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com
Cell: 352-427-0285
Fax: 815-377-3694

On Dec 3, 2009, at 3:36 PM, orchidman wrote:

Quote:

sean(at)stephensville.com wrote:
> Hmmm, is what nacomatic.com (http://nacomatic.com) is publishing a "legal" thing? Just wondering if it has the potential of disappearing.
>
> Is getting charts from a source (not sure what his source is) and reproducing them "legal"?

And there is a script that will automate the downloading.
You can specify state, section, all etc. I am using it to put the charts on an SD card. I download only the states I might need for a flight and can review multiple airports very quickly. I think it is much easier then the Voyager program if you are trying to review what is available in an area as say looking for alternates.
http://mstewart.net/super8/grtgetallplates/index.htm

--------
Gary Blankenbiller
RV10 - # 40674
(N2GB Flying)

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 76027#276027

orchidman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

jesse(at)saintaviation.co wrote:
Fabulous link. Takes a little doing for a not-that-technical computer guy, but very nice once it's working.

I like saving the chart plates by state. It takes a little longer to update things but I have a root folder called CHARTS. I then put each state in its own folder i.e. charts/TX
The script will put all of the TX airports in their own folders.

downloadplates.pl --states TX --destination c:\charts\TX

Then if I wanted to see all the approaches into Georgetown, I would brows to CHARTS, then TX, then GTU and bingo, listed are all the FAA approach plates for Georgetown. They are free, and legal. The nice thing about this program is that it also automatically handles updates/additions/deletions.

brenthumphreys

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

PDF Plates has a nice application to assist in downloading your plates.
http://www.pdfplates.com/
They also compile the PDF's into single files like the FAA books. I
know the developer, and if you have a specific format you would like
them in, I could put a bug in his ear.

--

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

I was thinking about that myself. I'm sure there is a way to automate this as well. I just don't know if I would rather have all of the airports in the same folder, or sorted by state. For example, if someone tells you to go to 5R4 from X35, you would have to look up the airport elsewhere to find out what state it is in and then look up the airport info. I'll have to use it a little bit to see if I'd rather take a little extra time going through the list or take the extra time (seldom as it may be needed) to find out what state the plate it in.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.

On Dec 4, 2009, at 8:15 AM, orchidman wrote:

Quote:

> Fabulous link. Takes a little doing for a not-that-technical computer guy, but very nice once it's working.
>

I like saving the chart plates by state. It takes a little longer to update things but I have a root folder called CHARTS. I then put each state in its own folder i.e. charts/TX

downloadplates.pl --states TX --destination c:chartsTX

Then if I wanted to see all the approaches into Georgetown, I would brows to CHARTS, then TX, then GTU and bingo, listed are all the FAA approach plates for Georgetown. They are free, and legal. The nice thing about this program is that it also automatically handles updates/additions/deletions.

--------
Gary Blankenbiller
RV10 - # 40674
(N2GB Flying)

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 76134#276134

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Voyager sale Fri only Reply with quote

By the way, a buddy of mine showed me a way to run a script, so I can make a text file with one state on each line, save it as *.sh and run it from the command line and it will download each state individually and save it in its own directory.

downloadplates.pl --states FL --destination plates/FL
downloadplates.pl --states GA --destination plates/GA
downloadplates.pl --states AL --destination plates/AL
etc.

Works great. I ran it all night and it's almost done. Now, to copy the states I want with me and put them on my iPhone so I have them with me whenever I fly. Next, to schedule in iCal to run the script every 28 days to download all changes automatically...

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.

On Dec 4, 2009, at 8:15 AM, orchidman wrote:

Quote:

> Fabulous link. Takes a little doing for a not-that-technical computer guy, but very nice once it's working.
>

downloadplates.pl --states TX --destination c:chartsTX

--------
Gary Blankenbiller
RV10 - # 40674
(N2GB Flying)

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 76134#276134

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: