Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my landings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard_trickel(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: my landings Reply with quote

To all
First of all I would like to wish all of you ¨Happy Holidays¨
A new year is coming and maybe a lot of changes too.

Secondly, I tend to be old school and learned to land power off also.  As far as my kis is concerned I also Landed it power off. How is the mystery as it seem that every one else is using a little power. I always felt and was taught that your engine could fail anytime  and more so when you were making power adjustments. Happened to me on the second flight of the kis but not during power adjustment. Fuel line problem. That was a good landing too.
I do have a tendency to leave a little extra speed on though and just bleed it off during the float to landing. As many of you that had a chance to ride with me may remember I always made the first turnoff where i could for the demonstration. I always tried to prove that the KIS could get in and out of 1500 feet no problem. Our airports is close to sea level so that helped. If there is runway a few extra MPH cost you nothing and makes for a good landing every time. Not all of mine were squeakers but never got a thumbs down either. Just had fun. I think the succes to landing is practice. Try different approach speeds and flap configurations and speeds. Rember where your stall speed is but don¨t glues your eyes an the airspeed indicator either. Wher does your airplane feel good, It may not be the same as mine but if the airpalne feels good at a certain speed you may relax and enjoy the landing better. So what if your are not at that magical listed speed. Your indicater is probably off anyway. None of them are really on point at all speeds.
Flaps??? I always use them
First notch prior to turning base and second notch as needed.  Add power only when I was looking short and occasionally to soften the second bounce. Yes I did bounce a few and if you haven´t your probably lieing. keep the nose up at landing. This does two things. Keeps the wear a tear off the nose wheel and gives you drag to slow the plane down.
Now thats All I have to say about that.
Rich

--- On Mon, 12/21/09, F. Tim Yoder <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com> wrote:

[quote]
Subject: Re: Vortex Generators or Landing the KIS TR-1
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, December 21, 2009, 6:08 PM

Hello Galin,

I agree and I would guess the 50 ft is about the usual limit.

Also, I have not flown the 4 place and don't know if its slow flight landing characteristics are substantially different than the TR-1. Also, I have noted that their are many differences in most of the TR-1's, engines, empty weights, typical landing weights, the fact that no two airframes were assembled just alike, not to mention the different pilot abilities.

I bet 'OC', with his vast experience, could land my TR-1 as good as his own and I bet I could land his just as poorly as I do mine. No I wouldn't try!

Maybe you could get Rich to give us his wisdom on this topic. Have you flown Rich's TR-1?
[quote] Some of you may have flown both, any thoughts?

When I learned to fly, uncontrolled field - Cessna 150, it was always power off and touch down with full flaps.

Now I fly out of a Class D, two runways and two large flight schools. Traffic patterns are almost cross countries.

About the only way to get a power off approach is to have an engine fail, and declare an emergency!

Tim
N52TY TR-1

---

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: my landings Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, it helps.

Merry Christmas and have a happy new year!

Hope the changes are all good.

Tim
[quote] ---

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: