Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPDATE: RV-9A Insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew(at)n523rv.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: UPDATE: RV-9A Insurance Reply with quote

As some may recall, I was having trouble getting insurance coverage on my almost-complete RV-9A due to my low total time. I sent in an application to NationAir as that seemed to be the broker most RV builders were using. It is my understanding that there are only 3 insurance companies that will underwrite experimental aircraft: AIG, Global and AIM (I think). Global requires at least 150 hours TT before they will even quote. AIM declined to quote and AIG didn't like my low TT and was apparently not being responsive to NationAir, even after I agreed to have a test pilot fly the first 5-10 hours. This was a bit frustrating since a fellow RV-9A builder had already been recently given a quote by AIG (via NationAir) and his TT was considerably less than mine. (To recap, I have 110 total hours, 3 hours in RV-9A with endorsement by Sam Benjamin, 5 hours tailwheel, 5 hours complex and am getting RV-6A training now.)
My wife Sandi and I were resigned to flying without insurance coverage until Phase 1 testing was complete. At that point, I would have >150 hours TT and >40 hours in make/model and we would go back to the insurance companies for another quote. As a last ditch effort, Sandi asked that I contact our local insurance broker for a second opinion before we flew without coverage.
I called Dana Boucher at AIC (913-782-7296) here in Kansas City on Friday the 6th late afternoon and explained the situation. He didn't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to get coverage. I got a return call from him yesterday (Monday the 9th) and he had gotten me coverage with AIG, no problems. The quote was even reasonable and nearly matched the quote my fellow RV-9A builder received. He also told me to join AOPA for $39 and I would save 5% on the insurance premium.
I am always willing to support companies that are supportive of the RV community. Mahlon at Mattituck is a big supporter of the RV community in the Lycoming group along with Allen Barrett of BPE. I've given my business to both. JT Helms at NationAir has also been very supportive of the RV community answering many insurance related questions in the various groups. However, in this case, I was disappointed with NationAir's inability to get me coverage when a local agent was able to get it without any problems. JT was not directly handling my application, one of his assistants was. She was very nice and was responsive to my daily inquiries but was not familiar with the various RV models and for whatever reason was not able to obtain a quote.
I may be an exception to the rule which seems to happen often to me but that was my experience. Need an insurance quote? Give Dana a call....
Matthew Brandes,
RV-9A - N523RV
www.n523rv.com

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List
matthew(at)n523rv.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: RV-9A Insurance Reply with quote

Daniel,
That is exactly what Dana told and did for me. He 'sold' me to the insurance company. He also felt that he had better relationships with the insurance companies that the larger firms did.
I'm happy and I have insurance coverage...
Matthew Brandes,
RV-9A - N523RV
www.n523rv.com

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: