Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moose style fuel system diagram needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstroud(at)xplornet.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Moose style fuel system diagram needed Reply with quote

Giday George. Do you know if anyone has a diagram of an appropriate fuel system for a
homebuilt similar to a Moose ? My Fairchild will have three tanks leading to a common
manifold and then on to the gascolator etc., but I'm not familiar with the Huosai system needs
after the gascolator. I'm thinking it must be very similar to the needs of an M14P. I've appealed
to two lists for help with this but to no avail. I'd sure be willing to pay for a diagram. I'm not sure
if I need a debubbler and I'm not sure if the pressure carb has it's own relief for excess fuel/
vapour or does that have to get built into the fuel supply just before the carb ? I hear it is a good
thing to use an aux electric fuel pump for backup and prime and would like to build that in. I don't
plan to do any flying inverted or such. Thanks.

David Stroud Ottawa, Canada
Christavia C-FDWS
Fairchild 51 replica
under construction C-FYXV
[quote] ---

- The Matronics MurphyMoose-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List
Claytonfly(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Moose style fuel system diagram needed Reply with quote

Dave

The Pitts Model 12 web site has a basic fuel system layout that should work for the Moose. You can get to it at www.jimkimballenterprises.com and look under the Pitts 12 side.

John Clayton
Pitts Model 12

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of DAVID STROUD
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 5:46 PM
To: murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Moose style fuel system diagram needed

Giday George. Do you know if anyone has a diagram of an appropriate fuel system for a

homebuilt similar to a Moose ? My Fairchild will have three tanks leading to a common

manifold and then on to the gascolator etc., but I'm not familiar with the Huosai system needs

after the gascolator. I'm thinking it must be very similar to the needs of an M14P. I've appealed

to two lists for help with this but to no avail. I'd sure be willing to pay for a diagram. I'm not sure

if I need a debubbler and I'm not sure if the pressure carb has it's own relief for excess fuel/

vapour or does that have to get built into the fuel supply just before the carb ? I hear it is a good

thing to use an aux electric fuel pump for backup and prime and would like to build that in. I don't

plan to do any flying inverted or such. Thanks.

Christavia C-FDWS
Fairchild 51 replica
[quote]
----- Original Message -----

To: murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com (murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com)

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:56 PM

Subject: RE: RE: MurphyMoose-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 01/12/10

I have to comment on the fuel system design for the Moose.There has been at least one accident that can be traced to a poor fuel system design. When designing the fuel system please bear in mind that the pressure carburetor is like a throttle body injection system. there is no float bowl or and storage of fuel in the carburetor. One drop of air and it is like turning the magnetos to the OFF position until the air is worked through the engine. Worse yet if there is a slug of air it can cause the mechanical fuel pump to cavitate and the fuel pressure to drop. It is called a pressure carb because it requires fuel pressure to work. No pressure and no fuel. It is rather instantaneous.
We highly recommend a vapor return system as part of your fuel system. It allows fuel to be returned to the header or main tank. Another gotcha is a partial loop with a horizontal section of the fuel line between the pump and the carburetor. This is often done to accommodate a fuel flow sensor. It can trap a bubble of air that will move along to the carb when the aircraft changes pitch and or at high power settings. (Like take Off). The Yaks use a system with a return line with a restrictor in it . This allows the pump to maintain fuel pressure while allowing for a fuel return path for any vapors or air.

George Coy

Motorstar NA
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)
SKYPE george.coy
motorstarna.com

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of DAVID STROUD
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:43 AM
To: murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RE: MurphyMoose-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 01/12/10
Hello, Sylvain. Any chance you may have a fuel system diagram you could let me have

a copy of, please ? I need to understand everything forward of the gascolator including

any fuel returns to main tank(s) and electric boost pump. Thank you.

Christavia C-FDWS
Fairchild 51 replica
[quote]
----- Original Message -----

To: murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com (murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com)

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:36 AM

Subject: MurphyMoose-List: RE: MurphyMoose-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 01/12/10

Hi,

I ram my moose radial without the wings, you must make sure your fuselage it is well attached because this engine is pulling really hard.

Regards
Sylvain April

> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:56:51 -0800
> From: murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com (murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com)
> To: murphymoose-list-digest(at)matronics.com (murphymoose-list-digest(at)matronics.com)
> Subject: MurphyMoose-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 01/12/10
>
> *
>
>
> Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive
>
>
> Today's complete MurphyMoose-List Digest can also be found in either of the
> two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
> in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
> and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
> of the MurphyMoose-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
> such as Notepad or with a web browser.
>
> HTML Version:
>
> http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2010-01-12&Archive=MurphyMoose
>
> Text Version:
>
> http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2010-01-12&Archive=MurphyMoose
>
>
> =======================
> EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive
> =======================
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> MurphyMoose-List Digest Archive
> ---
> Total Messages Posted Tue 01/12/10: 3
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Today's Message Index:
> ----------------------
>
> 1. 02:45 PM - Re: Murphy Moose (HBaker)
> 2. 04:09 PM - Re: Re: Murphy Moose (Greg Young)
> 3. 04:51 PM - Re: Re: Murphy Moose (Jeff Micheal)
>
>
>
> ________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________
>
>
> Time: 02:45:44 PM PST US
> Subject: Re: Murphy Moose
> From: "HBaker" <henry.baker(at)nf.sympatico.ca>
>
>
> Hi Jeff
>
> Getting ready to start the engine , can this be done with out the wings attached
> to the A/C.
>
> Henry
>
> Moose 294
>
> --------
> Currently building a Murphy Moose - any help would be appreciated.
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=281207#281207
>
>
> ________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________
>
>
> Time: 04:09:31 PM PST US
> From: "Greg Young" <gyoung(at)cs-sol.com>
> Subject: RE: Re: Murphy Moose
>
>
> I'm not sure how stabile the Moose is but there's a video floating around
> the web of a Lancair IV that started his engine sans wings. He wrapped it in
> a ball. Why risk it?
>
> Regards,
> Greg Young
>
>
> > --

- The Matronics MurphyMoose-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: