Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blended foil prop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Blended foil prop Reply with quote

Just replaced my old Hartzell prop with a new blended foil version. I found the height of the new blended foil hub to be roughly 1/8 of an inch deeper. I solved this by leaving only the four aft bulk head spacers in place and not using any spacing washers. I found the aft spinner bulk head wouldn't clear the hub flanges around the base of each blade because the hub diameter around both blades is larger. To solve this problem I had to grind out two, 2 1/2 inch long X 1/2 inch deep "U" shaped notches out of the aft bulk head to clear the blade hub flanges.

On another subject, my fiber glass left main landing gear leg is softer than my right leg causing my left wing to droop. I thought of removing the leg and applying another couple of layers of cloth to firm it up. Has anyone had this problem?

Note: I had delivery problems with YRC freight company' billing policies in delivering the prop and Glasair Company's, Harry Delong, has gone out of his way into putting in an extra effort to solving it.

Chuck Raymond Gl2SFT N16CD      

In a message dated 2/3/2010 3:11:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, glasair-list(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:

==================================================
Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive
==================================================

Today's complete Glasair-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the Glasair-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2010-02-02&Archive=Glasair

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2010-02-02&Archive=Glasair
================================================
  EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive
================================================
----------------------------------------------------------
  Glasair-List Digest Archive
  ---
  Total Messages Posted Tue 02/02/10: 0
Today's Message ================================================e the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
mkburrow(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Blended foil prop Reply with quote

Let us know any performance differences....

To: glasair-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 9:43:54 AM
Subject: Re: Blended foil prop

Just replaced my old Hartzell prop with a new blended foil version. I found the height of the new blended foil hub to be roughly 1/8 of an inch deeper. I solved this by leaving only the four aft bulk head spacers in place and not using any spacing washers. I found the aft spinner bulk head wouldn't clear the hub flanges around the base of each blade because the hub diameter around both blades is larger. To solve this problem I had to grind out two, 2 1/2 inch long X 1/2 inch deep "U" shaped notches out of the aft bulk head to clear the blade hub flanges.

On another subject, my fiber glass left main landing gear leg is softer than my right leg causing my left wing to droop. I thought of removing the leg and applying another couple of layers of cloth to firm it up. Has anyone had this problem?

Note: I had delivery problems with YRC freight company' billing policies in delivering the prop and Glasair Company's, Harry Delong, has gone out of his way into putting in an extra effort to solving it.  

In a message dated 2/3/2010 3:11:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, glasair-list(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:

=========================

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2010-02-02&Archive=Glasair

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2010-02-02&Archive=Glasair
=======================
=======================
---
Today's Message ================================================e the ties Day ======================= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================   - List Contribution Web Site sp;     ==========================

Quote:
[b]

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Blended foil prop Reply with quote

Because of the following, I haven't been able to test the performance of my newly installed blended foil prop. One reason is I use Areo Shell 100/50 wt oil and in Georgia we have had a straight run of far below average freezing temperatures. The second reason is that when I went to torque the spinner bulk head bolts to 22 Ft pounds they wouldn't hold that torque value. After talking to a Hartzell's tech adviser and thinking about it, I think a combination of factory silicon on the hub's bolt surfaces and aluminum filings getting in between the riveted aft spinner bulk head bolt reinforcement plates from filing out those sections to clear the beefier hub were the culprits. A Hartzell technician advised cleaning the hub surfaces with MEK before installing and torquing the bolts. I thought the bolts may have been stretching but the adviser replied the bolts could hold torque far beyond the recommended 22 FT Pds. As soon as Georgia's temperatures return to normal I will bring those bolts up to torque and test the performance.
Glasair's Harry Delong told me the factory installed a blended foil prop on the Factory Super 2S RG and noted an increase of 7 MPH cruising speed. A local RV 9 driver reported an increase of 10 MPH.

In a message dated 2/3/2010 11:19:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mkburrow(at)sbcglobal.net writes:
Quote:
Let us know any performance differences....

To: glasair-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 9:43:54 AM
Subject: Glasair-List: Re: Blended foil prop

Just replaced my old Hartzell prop with a new blended foil version. I found the height of the new blended foil hub to be roughly 1/8 of an inch deeper. I solved this by leaving only the four aft bulk head spacers in place and not using any spacing washers. I found the aft spinner bulk head wouldn't clear the hub flanges around the base of each blade because the hub diameter around both blades is larger. To solve this problem I had to grind out two, 2 1/2 inch long X 1/2 inch deep "U" shaped notches out of the aft bulk head to clear the blade hub flanges.

On another subject, my fiber glass left main landing gear leg is softer than my right leg causing my left wing to droop. I thought of removing the leg and applying another couple of layers of cloth to firm it up. Has anyone had this problem?

Note: I had delivery problems with YRC freight company' billing policies in delivering the prop and Glasair Company's, Harry Delong, has gone out of his way into putting in an extra effort to solving it.

Quote:

HTML Version:

Text Version:

=======================
=======================
  ---
Today's Message ================================================e the ties Day ======================= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ==========================

Quote:

Quote:
[b]

====================================
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[/b]

[quote][b]

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Blended foil prop Reply with quote

I had a brief window in our terrible weather yesterday to see what my performance would be using my new Hartzell "blended foil" prop on my 200 hp Gl2S FT. I noted the performance at altitudes of 2,000 and 3,000 feet with the power set at 24.5 inches, 2375 RPM, 50 degrees rich of peak, with an outside temperature of 50 degrees. My indicated airspeed using my old Hartzell averaged around 163 mph at those settings at those altitudes. Using my new blended foil design, I noted indicated airspeed of 185 mph. In the past my best performance using my previous prop was in the 8,000 to 9,000 feet altitude range that averaged a 205 mph ground speed. So when this Global Warming freezing air moves out giving me an opportunity to travel I will report any differences in cruise speed at those altitudes.
With a previous experimental I owned I noticed that in cruise settings I had down elevator trim that I felt was causing drag. So when I constructed our Glasair I changed the angle of attack on my horizontal stabilizer to around 1/8 positive. I felt having any elevator up trim would be less drag. And in cruise I did note that my GL2S did require a little up trim because I could see that the counter balances surfaces would protrude below the horizontal stab by about 3/8's of an inches. But I noted with the added thrust using my knew blended foil and higher speed that the elevator required more down trim causing the tail feathers to become stream lined...yeah!!. My GL2S driver wife was sitting in the co pilot seat and was very excited about the increased performance. I did note it takes more to slow the plane down in the landing pattern using this new prop. Setting my old Hartzell into high RPM would act like a speed brake, but with this new blended foil in high RPM our plane now wants to keep on trucking. Another feature is how much more quiet the prop is. I even removed my head set and noted the cabin way quieter.
I had around 600 hours on my old prop and found prop shops willing to pay between $2500 and $3000 as is. Instead I decided to have a reasonably priced tear down inspection, cleaning and repaint and placed the prop for sale in Trader Plane for $5,500 and started receiving inquiries and sold it for the full price in a two issue ad. One woman asked if I would consider selling just the blades!! $6,000 for a set of good blades would have been better for me but I turned down the offer.
Harry Delong at the Glasair Company is the blended foil expert and went to bat for me when YRC freight company screwed up the shipping costs that have yet to be resolved. To avoid this I suggest having any props shipped to a business address.

Charles Raymond
[quote][b]

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Blended foil prop Reply with quote

We had a rare small window to fly our GL 2 SFT / 200 Hp Lyc. on a short 15 mile cross country trip to tank up on 100 LL that was about $1.00/ gallon less than what our home base FBO sells it for. This was our second flight using our new Hartzell Blended foil prop. We had a cross wind and again didn't note any difference in T. O. or climb performance. At the beginning of the take off roll the RPM on our UMA electric tach registered 2,600 RPM and as the plane accelerated down the runway the rpm peaked at 2,750 and bounced off 2,750 mark around 100 rpm on climb out. We hoped the 100 RPM fluctuation was due to engine oil that wasn't fully warmed up to operating temperature as pockets of cool 50 weight oil went through the governor. The air temperature was in the low seventies and we had a stiff breeze and experienced moderate turbulence. Because it was only a 15 mile flight, we elected to cruise at 2,000 feet (at) 2,400 rpm, 24 inches MP and 50 degrees lean of peak (at) 10.5 gals/ hour. On our old prop we commonly noted GPS ground speeds 180 to 185 mph at that altitude. But on this flight we noted an average GPS ground speed of 205 mph and can't wait to see what we get at altitude. We even had a GPS ground speed of 225 mph, but don't get excited because it was due to a gusty tail wind. This was my wife's first time behind the controls using our new blended foil prop and she remarked on how much faster the plane was and how she had to keep resetting the trim as the plane gained more and more speed after leveling out. She noted a 200 degree oil temperature that was 15 degrees warmer than it previously was using the old prop. I laughed when she said that "the plane is getting there before I am." She found slowing the plane down to enter the pattern a new challenge that required reducing the power, putting in up trim, pushing the prop in and sneaking in a little flaps at 140 mph in an effort to slow the plane down. With the old prop, we could feel the plane slow down by just reducing the power and adding just 50 rpm. But this new blended foil just wants to keep on trucking and requires more adjustments of power, prop, trim and flaps.
We plan to fly the plane on a cross country next week at 8,500 feet were we formerly got our best performance and will report what we get.

Note: RYC freight is still driving us crazy with their padded "residential" double price delivery charge. Glasair and Hartzell weren't aware of this when they shipped the prop and RYC never advised me of this policy. Glasair's Harry Delong is trying to resolve this.

Charles Raymond N16CD
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: