Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Acro] PROP FOR LYCOMING 540 - QUESTIONS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: [Acro] PROP FOR LYCOMING 540 - QUESTIONS Reply with quote

I can't speak for Hartzell, but a huge advantage of MT propellers is that they are all fully certified, which means that they have had to go through a tough process of certification with significant overspeed – I personally would not fly behind a non-certified propeller!

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
wlannon(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: [Acro] PROP FOR LYCOMING 540 - QUESTIONS Reply with quote

Hi Richard;

Hartzell propellors are also fully certificated.

Walt

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: [Acro] PROP FOR LYCOMING 540 - QUESTIONS Reply with quote

Yes, I do know that most Hartzell props are fully certified, and indeed good props – but I was only responding to the post below saying "Hartzell "claw 2.0" is only for experimental Extras", so I assumed that they were not certificated.

But to slightly change the path of the discussion, I was interested that Spencer has had yet another propeller fall off a Lycoming engine. Why does this happen? In my 30 years of experience with Russian aircraft and engines, I only know of one propeller detachment, which was with Svetlana Kapanina, and that with a Russian team Sukhoi which had been flown for several years, and always at + and -12 G, and very aggressive flying!

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
www.russianaeros.com
--

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: [Acro] PROP FOR LYCOMING 540 - QUESTIONS Reply with quote

Richard, Thinking of props. One time on a layover in London with PAA, I took the train down to Red Hill to hang out the Tiger club there. While there the guys were putting a new prop on a blue and white Beta racer. It then went up on a test flight and we watch him pass the field several times doing timing runs. Then he didn't show up and we started to worry something must have happened. I remember the guys kidding the mechanic that the prop may have come off. Sure enough a few minutes later the phone rings and the pilots has made a force landing in field some miles away. We all jumped into trucks with tools and went extradite the Beta. And yes, one blade had separated and the out of balance had broken 3 of the 4 attach point on the mount so that the only thing holding the engine in place was the one attach point and the cowling! It was a long evening and I was late getting back to my hotel but I have a great time with a bunch of great guys with funny accents - getting that Beta out of that field. I even learn to love warm beer.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

--

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: [Acro] PROP FOR LYCOMING 540 - QUESTIONS Reply with quote

That reminds me of when Jurgis Kairis was doing a display in his Sukhoi 31 in China, then fitted with a three blade Whirlwind propeller, and one blade completely detached itself from the hub. The out of balance forces were incredible and in fact tore the gearbox and the remains of the propeller off the front of the engine, but fortunately Sukhois are very tough, and the engine remained in the aircraft. But a number of the fuselage tubes were cracked or broken; most of the instruments destroyed!

Fortunately, although going fast he was at low level over a long runway and was able to get the aircraft down safely.

The aircraft had to go back to Sukhoi in Moscow and be totally rebuilt!

Richard

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of "
Sent: 07 May 2019 01:02
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RE: [Acro] PROP FOR LYCOMING 540 - QUESTIONS

Richard,
Thinking of props. One time on a layover in London with PAA, I took the train down to Red Hill to hang out the Tiger club there. While there the guys were putting a new prop on a blue and white Beta racer. It then went up on a test flight and we watch him pass the field several times doing timing runs. Then he didn't show up and we started to worry something must have happened. I remember the guys kidding the mechanic that the prop may have come off. Sure enough a few minutes later the phone rings and the pilots has made a force landing in field some miles away. We all jumped into trucks with tools and went extradite the Beta. And yes, one blade had separated and the out of balance had broken 3 of the 4 attach point on the mount so that the only thing holding the engine in place was the one attach point and the cowling! It was a long evening and I was late getting back to my hotel but I have a great time with a bunch of great guys with funny accents - getting that Beta out of that field. I even learn to love warm beer.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: